sharetrader
Page 167 of 240 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2400
    Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Not a good result but the market dont care, up 30c.
    Encouraged by CEN taking the initiative regarding the Bluff smelter, perhaps?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...om-record-high
    Last edited by macduffy; 11-02-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: RNZ newsclip attached.

I wonder how much they paid for their gas supply contracts. Doesnt strike me as the greatest time to be negotiating L/T quota.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Not sure why the market liked it ….. for my part I was encouraged that Tauhara geothermal seems increasingly likely to go ahead… and be contributing from as early as 2023.

"
    "There is no way on earth we could get permission to build a duplicate line through to Manapouri,"

And that is exactly why the EA should be able to ream you for transmission costs.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

If the Tauhara geothermal project goes ahead, will there inevitably be a rights issue similar to when Te Mihi was built, or does Contact have other funding options?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    If the Tauhara geothermal project goes ahead, will there inevitably be a rights issue similar to when Te Mihi was built, or does Contact have other funding options?
    Contact has the option of creating new capital out of thin air. This is how Mercury Energy fund the construction of their new power stations. This 'thin air capital' is a creation based on current wholesale power price. 'Thin air capital' is created by revaluing existing renewable electricity generation assets based on the current wholesale power price. This method requires the wholesale power price to keep rising to work.

If the value of an existing power station falls, then the 'thin air capital' can disappear into, you guessed it, 'thin air'. This could happen with a fossil fuelled power station when the cost of generation is suddenly increased by the imposition of a higher carbon tax, for example.

The fact that Contact Energy has so far elected not to raise any 'thin air capital', and instead use 'real capital' for expansion, makes the company a more conservatively geared investment than it would otherwise be. I see that as a good thing.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 23-02-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Thanks Snoopy. Mercury and Contact did both sell some assets last year, Mercury says it is using the proceeds to build its new wind farm, but I don't suppose Contact could do the same, the Tauhara geothermal project sounds like it will be a much bigger project.

(I hold CEN and MCY, and am looking forward to participating in a rights offer if CEN needs one to build Tauhara.)
    Last edited by turnip; 25-02-2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: hold CEN and MCY

Given the current price of CEN..being at least a third it was a while ago...am I nuts in thinking that it may be a good buy at present... cheers..perhaps 25 %..sorry
    Last edited by troyvdh; 04-03-2020 at 07:56 PM.

I have been buying. I can't get me head around the price premium being paid for MEL over CEN, they basically own the same or similar assets. Don't think you can go far wrong buying at these prices.... 7.2% and a bit return gross... wow! The aluminium smelter notwithstanding this is cheap buying, for this largely renewable generator
    Last edited by black knat; 04-03-2020 at 08:36 PM.