sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    The second pillar revolved are around the impact on the individual shareholder. The company puts unimputed dividend of $1 into the shareholders pocket. Under my way of thinking, the tax of 30c is paid from the $1 in the pocket and the shareholder received a partial "return of capital" of 70c.
    You are viewing an unimputed dividend as a return of capital which is taxed as a result of ending up in the shareholders pocket (the first pocket). I understand and agree with that way of looking at things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    Under your method, the tax of 30c is taken from a second pocket. The $1 in the first pocket is ignored, but the 30c taken out of the second pocket is deducted. I view that as inconsistent, despite the fact (and I acknowledge) the tax is paid to an entity outside of the circle of shareholder + entity.
    I think what you are saying here is that by subtracting the imputed part of the dividend from the total dividend and effectively ignoring the imputed bit, I am effectively saying that the imputed part of the dividend does not exist. Therefore I should not take tax out of a dividend that I am claiming was effectively never paid in the first place?

However, I do not have this interpretation of what happened. I am not saying that the unimputed part of the dividend was not paid. I am saying it was paid but it had no cash benefit to the shareholder. If fact quite the opposite. The paying of the what is in effect shareholder capital back created a tax bill, which I think you acknowledge in the first part of your post that I have quoted.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 28-02-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7