sharetrader
Page 125 of 240 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2400
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I think the point of the article was that share buybacks can have a downside and that they don't all benefit all shareholders. A bit of a "caveat emptor" from one with a wealth of investment experience and still involved in the industry.
    Yes. But at least CEN was very clear when they announced theres that they were generating excess cash and there were no suitable investments in the near term. I assume they have used all IC's so this is the most efficent.

On that basis, I think most would agree it was a reasonable course of action, if not the best. If they were increasing borrowing to do so, or forgoing investment opportunities, the situation would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    In a perfect world we would see companies like Ebos, growing from acquisition after acquisition,making sure each acquisition is earnings accretive.
    However there are too many companies such as FBU and WHS who go from one disastrous acquisition to the next.
    So share buy backs are a good discipline for the undisciplined .
    Instead of looking at the US, Brian Gaynor could have written a more relevant article had he quoted NZ companies.
    HBY is a good example of what a company should be doing.Instead of making another poor acquisition, they would be better to do a decent share buy back,and sell off their non core businesses, and concentrate on their excellent motor/equipment divisions.The market would positively rerate them very quickly.
    I believe HBY are tryingto divest their shoe business

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Yes. But at least CEN was very clear when they announced theres that they were generating excess cash and there were no suitable investments in the near term. I assume they have used all IC's so this is the most efficent.

On that basis, I think most would agree it was a reasonable course of action, if not the best. If they were increasing borrowing to do so, or forgoing investment opportunities, the situation would be different.
    Yes, Also there's not as many opportunities for the utilities to grow their business as there is for others for example technology companies.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Yes, Also there's not as many opportunities for the utilities to grow their business as there is for others for example technology companies.
    Really? That's debatable.
    Last edited by Hectorplains; 01-05-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    The 'logic' is around share price being lower than the company feels is warranted (and it is therefore a good investment) and/ or that the cost of borrowing being so low currently that a buy back offers holders the best means of utilising free cash flows ( as opposed to un-imputed dividends etc.)
    Thanks Hector.

But, as a shareholder, I still find it strange that the company should pay someone else to stop being a shareholder, rather than just paying me!

No, scratch "strange", I stand by "insane".

Cen running up quick. Glad I bought for the first time for the yield at $4.60. Now I'm getting some nice capital gains. I believe this company should be sitting around $5.80- $6. Only worry has been loss of customers but that looks to be coming right.

Missed by that much

Nice lift in price today and at good volume. Even if most of the sales are off market.

Yeh really good volume. Possibly accumulation by a fund? Anyway I guess there is no point speculating - just enjoy the ride and divs

CEN is playing catch up!

Can someone give me a bit more knowledge and education around reading operational data? and what the factors mean etc?