sharetrader
Page 25 of 240 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    And the share price rises 11c! Interesting. A very unusual reaction to a cash issue from NZ investors. Perhaps it was less than expected and sharehodlers are rushing to pick up more of a good thing? Perhaps more impressive was a commitment to return cash to shareholders who don't take up their rights, via a tender for untaken up shares. I have never seen that done before either. An NZ company who thinks in terms of their shareholders best interests? Wow!

SNOOPY
    We may be learning from Aussies who do this sort of deal quite a lot ..... I rememebr I got something like 6 cents a share when Orica did this few years ago

Default Return to Shareholders

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    And the share price rises 11c! Interesting. A very unusual reaction to a cash issue from NZ investors. Perhaps it was less than expected and sharehodlers are rushing to pick up more of a good thing? Perhaps more impressive was a commitment to return cash to shareholders who don't take up their rights, via a tender for untaken up shares. I have never seen that done before either. An NZ company who thinks in terms of their shareholders best interests? Wow!

SNOOPY
    This was done by AIA in early 2010. They returned 17c per right not taken up or sold.
    If you only get a few rights, the fee for selling them yourself cuts into your return.

Veteran novice

Yes, a good move. It looks like CEN are finally taking note of their fraught shareholder/public relations and have decided it was about time to give regard to their minority shareholders.

Theoretical rights price looks to be about 9c at present.

Veteran novice

No one's picked me up on my howler yesterday re the theoretical rights price.

It is of course 72c, based on a cum rights price of $5.85, an application price of $5.05 and an average cost of $5.77.

percy

[QUOTE=macduffy;344101]Yes, a good move. It looks like CEN are finally taking note of their fraught shareholder/public relations and have decided it was about time to give regard to their minority shareholders.

Yes was a good announcement.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    No one's picked me up on my howler yesterday re the theoretical rights price.

It is of course 72c, based on a cum rights price of $5.85, an application price of $5.05 and an average cost of $5.77.
    But you get 72c for each 9 shares you own so 8c per current share so we let you away with it.

Interesting to see the shareprice spike but then fall below openning. I think that is probably right - the announcement was expected so should have been fully priced in.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Veteran novice

You're too kind CJ, but thanks anyway!

Although the issue was expected, the ratio and discount to SP were unknown so it did leave a bit of room for market reaction. I didn't see an ex-issue date announced but it will be interesting to see how the SP moves meanwhile.

Correction: Record date is 9 May.
    Last edited by macduffy; 29-04-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Although the issue was expected, the ratio and discount to SP were unknown so it did leave a bit of room for market reaction. I didn't see an ex-issue date announced but it will be interesting to see how the SP moves meanwhile.
    Maybe my maths skills aren't upto date but I dont understand this.

On the basis they are pro-rata, why does the ratio and exercise price matter. Your existing shareholding will be diluted but by the exact amount that you receive under the issue.

The only negative is if they ask for so much money that you cant afford to participate.

What am I missing. How would it be different if it was a (say) 2/9 split with an exersize price of $2.525.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Veteran novice

Well, if the entitlement ratio was 2 for 9 and the exercise price was $2.525, the theoretical rights price, based on that cum issue price of $5.85, would be 61c, not 72c.

I was really referring to the effect that these factors have on the cum issue price ( and therefore the theoretical rights price) but accept that with the approximate size of the issue already flagged, there wasn't a lot of room for manoeuvre. Hence my "bit of room for market speculation".
    Last edited by macduffy; 29-04-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Clarification (hopefully!)

Veteran novice

CEN rights had a good first day's trading, ending at 86c.
    Last edited by macduffy; 06-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.