sharetrader
Page 42 of 240 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smokin cubans View Post
    Isnt Contact fully consolidated on Origin's balance sheet anyway (ie all Contacts debt is already on Origins balance sheet)?
    You are correct, however for my own analysis I reversed this out to get 19%, other wise it is around 24%. Depending how they would fund a takeover, out of debt, which increases the ratio, or equity, where their cash flows have been earmarked for other projects, the conclusion is the same.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

Advanced Member

I would have thought in these times cash is king and would more likely to be accepted

Power prices despite rain forcast tomorrow remain phenominally high-just looked at wits and most over $200 . This will lead to higher electricity prices in future .

I thought the decison to maintain the dividend announced today was good-
    Outlook
    The financial year to date has been marked by low hydro generation levels.
    With current national hydro storage levels at the end of January at the
    lowest seen in the past 15 years there is the potential that Contact's
    diverse generation assets will be required to ensure continued security of
    supply to our customers.

"EBITDAF in the second half of the 2012 financial year is expected to benefit
    from retail price rises including seasonally higher prices for Time of Use
    customers and an increase in contract for difference sales volumes.

The second half looks like being much better .

Giday...for those who are interested...Louise from Origin sent me a message today stating that as of end of 2011 Origin held 52.8 % of CEN "and has given no indication of any change to this holding at this stage"...

...there you have it ...you paranoid bunch of naysayers....shame on you...humbug....snort...shuffle....

Advanced Member

Accumulating shares in large secure companies when they are grossly oversold on fundamentals makes for good investment advice ,
    Hoop- Stating that one must have a death wish because a retrospective chart shows a downtrend is placing too much faith in charts . Have you seen a buy signal yet ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Accumulating shares in large secure companies when they are grossly oversold on fundamentals makes for good investment advice ,
    Hoop- Stating that one must have a death wish because a retrospective chart shows a downtrend is placing too much faith in charts . Have you seen a buy signal yet ?
    Hi Fish.

Accumulating shares in large secure companies when they are grossly oversold on fundamentals makes for good investment advice
    In theory... yes
    In practise....not always yes... a stock can stay oversold, for months even years for no apparant reason, this creates an opportunity loss situation while the investor waits for this stock to rise they miss the boat by not invested in other rising stocks. TA helps with entry and exits.

Have you seen a buy signal yet ?

ohhh yes... 29th Feb ...note how the near bottom prices didn't move up for two to three days after that mass of short /medium term buy signals...A terrific entry level opportunity....eh?

Last edited by Hoop; 08-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.

percy

Hoop,
    Thank you for posting CEN chart.As always I found it most interesting.

Advanced Member

Thanks also for the post Hoop .
    Hope you took advantage of the buy signal.
    Should the chart have shown a steeper rise by adding on the 11 cent dividend when cen went ex ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Thanks also for the post Hoop .
    Hope you took advantage of the buy signal.
    Should the chart have shown a steeper rise by adding on the 11 cent dividend when cen went ex ?
    Hmmm.. unadjusted data?? when it says it's adjusted....yes I now have my doubts too Fish
    A problem I may always have to live with, with the delayed Yahoo data feed methinks...There's been a few debates on ST in the past about TA accuracy .... Phaedrus reworked some of his charts and reposted.... Most reworked charts I saw had very minor changes. Most Div effects were minor.,,,splits were grossly obvious.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Smile Lies, Damn Lies and End of Day Data

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Hmmm.. unadjusted data?? when it says it's adjusted....yes I now have my doubts too Fish
    A problem I may always have to live with, with the delayed Yahoo data feed methinks...There's been a few debates on ST in the past about TA accuracy .... Phaedrus reworked some of his charts and reposted.... Most reworked charts I saw had very minor changes. Most Div effects were minor.,,,splits were grossly obvious.
    I have never worked out what Yahoo's 'adjusted' closing price is all about. If there is a stock split/consolidation they tend to rework all the historical data and often there is a spike because they get the date out by one day. They do not take dividends into account at all as far as I am aware. As an added bonus Yahoo (and Google) do not cover all stocks, miss trading days out and provide data for days when the market is closed.

My current source of free end of day for the NZX is stocknessmonster.com.

On another note a break of the 50 day (E)MA is as arbitrary a buy signal as any. So what's your exit strategy ?

best wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Phaedrus did adjust his charts as far as I know for dividends and of course you have to, however as far as dividends are concerned, he answered a question of mine around that, saying something along the lines of don't sweat the small stuff, it does not make that much difference unless you get a disproportional dividend, such as the usual plus a special