sharetrader
Page 51 of 240 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    Drongo...I would like to believe that you are right....if one looks at the chart (5 years)....we have been here before....My basic reason for hanging is partly emotional (dum I know)...2...no one is going to build another dam soon...and the divs are meant to be going up.

Do you remember the great Waitaki dam(s) debate...i.e. divert the river blah blah....Some folk at the time said that the extra energy provided by this series of dams (6?) would only suffice for a period of 3 years of current NZ demand...i.e.insinuating huge geographical consequences for a relatively short period of temporay gain....

HOW WRONG these bofins appear to have been.....who would have thought that NZ INC would have an over supply of energy !!!!!!!!

Me thinks that (the GFC acknowledged) all those energy efficient white appliances,bulbs et al have made an influence....but huh you might say what about Heatpumps...

I often wonder if a "strengthening economy" will indeed increased returns for companies as CEN...BUt I also understand that if a "company" wishes to be more efficient ...they actually will save money.....

What am I saying...not sure really ...again....cheers
    You can never be sure
    CEN are doing just the right things.
    Demand is actualy up
    As I write cen are generating surplus electricity with wholesale power prices at 280 -their most expensive generation is gas thermal at 40-so profit on this surplus has gone up from around 20 to 200 .
    As we get drier and little wind i cn see power prices shooting up much further .Lake inflows are now the lowest ever.
    I dont have the time to research all this acurately.
    It would be really helpful if someone with more time and financial aptitude than me could analyse what this all means for CEN ,trustpower and mighty river .

Dilettante

Today ANZ shares website shows CEN having gone XD and all buys having dried up. This is from the Half Year report:

INTERIM DISTRIBUTION* 11.0 CPS
    *In the form of a cash dividend.

Record date: 08/03/2013
    Dividend Payment Date: 26/03/2013 "

It shows record date as 8 March. What am I missing here ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Today ANZ shares website shows CEN having gone XD and all buys having dried up. This is from the Half Year report:

INTERIM DISTRIBUTION* 11.0 CPS
    *In the form of a cash dividend.

Record date: 08/03/2013
    Dividend Payment Date: 26/03/2013 "

It shows record date as 8 March. What am I missing here ?
    Price hasn't dropped so assume not exDiv. I'd trust the half year report, not ANZ.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

It is ex today, record date is 8 march, if you buy the shares today you don't settle until Monday (T+3), so no dividend for you.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    It is ex today, record date is 8 march, if you buy the shares today you don't settle until Monday (T+3), so no dividend for you.
    Thanks Silverlight. I didn't know it works like that. Oh yes I am looking forward to a nice little divie. Have happily held CEN for a long time and have no intention of selling.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Price hasn't dropped so assume not exDiv. I'd trust the half year report, not ANZ.
    I stand corrected. No trades for ages this morning.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

On the doghouse

Around 100,000 NZers registered for the MRP float yesterday. At that rate by 22nd March closing date for preregistrations, 1.7 million New Zealanders will be going for the shares. We are looking at something an order of magnitude higher than when Contact floated all those years ago. MRP is a fine company, but I have to ask at what price? I am wondering now if the smart money might be better to just buy Contact on the market while it is sold down by other investors keen to grab their slice of MRP at any price?

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

Snoopy - I don't think you can extrapolate like that. It should beat the ~250k that invested in CEN at iPO.

Have had the same thoughts re buying in the pre IPO downturn. If only I wasn't 100% invested. Thinking of selling down to buy up.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Snoopy - I don't think you can extrapolate like that. It should beat the ~250k that invested in CEN at iPO.

Have had the same thoughts re buying in the pre IPO downturn. If only I wasn't 100% invested. Thinking of selling down to buy up.
    Yes perhaps my extrapolation was a little high. The point I was making was, Contact has a lot of hydro assets. In broad brush terms it is a very similar company to MRP. Of course we do not know the projected price for MRP yet. But if it were noticeably more than CEN in PE terms, because of the high demand for shares, would it make sense to invest in MRP? In the short term yes as all of those index funds would have to buy MRP share at any price. But six months down the track, would you as an MRP investor still be looking so clever?

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Around 100,000 NZers registered for the MRP float yesterday. At that rate by 22nd March closing date for preregistrations, 1.7 million New Zealanders will be going for the shares. We are looking at something an order of magnitude higher than when Contact floated all those years ago. MRP is a fine company, but I have to ask at what price? I am wondering now if the smart money might be better to just buy Contact on the market while it is sold down by other investors keen to grab their slice of MRP at any price?

SNOOPY
    I have registered-as has my family but will not decide whether to buy until I find out more about how positioned they are to cope with a drought .

I dont agree that they are similar to contact . Contact have a minority of hydrogeneration and 2 big flexible gas power stations -near new plymouth and auckland. Contact should be currently making a killing out of high prices .MRP must be taking a hammering