sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speccies

Share Collector

Default Speccies

Can anyone, hand-over-heart, tell me that they actually, on balance, have made money on speccies? And by that, I mean shares that are in "development-phase-with-huge-growth-potential" (but no profits). Genuine question. Just wondering if anyone actually has a successful strategy for it..

quote:Originally posted by Lizard
    Just wondering if anyone actually has a successful strategy for it..
    Yes, Buy Low. Then Sell High. I haven't tried it myself, but the logic seems sound.
    Undisputed 2006 World Cup Premierleague Champion

Lizard yes by the right company at the right time AZA and GDY on the ASX and FTB on NZX preferably get out at the right time.

quote:Originally posted by Lizard

Can anyone, hand-over-heart, tell me that they actually, on balance, have made money on speccies? And by that, I mean shares that are in "development-phase-with-huge-growth-potential" (but no profits). Genuine question. Just wondering if anyone actually has a successful strategy for it..
    Trading yes. Holding No. Successful long term investing requires cashflows and profits. It's only the middlemen who make money in the long run from specs. Happy to trade them in the right circumstances.

They're all just trying to find clever ways to re-phrase my idea of buying low and selling high Liz.

quote:Originally posted by Cooper

They're all just trying to find clever ways to re-phrase my idea of buying low and selling high Liz.

However I disagree on the subtext. If any good ideas have been shared here it was entirely by accident.

quote:Originally posted by Halebop

quote:Originally posted by Cooper

However I disagree on the subtext. If any good ideas have been shared here it was entirely by accident.
    Now he's trying to belittle my brilliant idea (that's what it is whether you like it or not Halebop) by using humour Liz. You're not impressed by that are you?

By the way Liz I'm an advanced member and Halebop is only a senior member if that counts for anything (and it does, of course).

Share Collector

Yeah, thanks Cooper. Buy low, sell high...who'd have thought of that?!! Gee, that explains why I'm doing so badly in my uni assignments - forgetting to state the obvious...

Maybe I should just re-iterate the "actually, on balance, made money". i.e., not just one lucky lotto win. But actually, across all the speccies you've bought...come out winning? Doubt anyone could be bothered to calculate that one, but maybe have a feel?

Investing in spec resource stocks on the ASX has been kind to most I'd imagine. This is because there's a bull resource market of course. Any success I've had has been a result of pure momentum investing (buying low and selling high!)and a reliance on blind luck and/or the pre-empting of resource announcements (otherwise known as blind luck). So... a strategy? No. Mostly just reliance on proven management and punting on upcoming announcements. But I am in profit.

BTW... what are you studying? Depending on the subject, the obvious may be the last thing you want to state.