sharetrader
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    Wouldn't you say "test my urine for an infection, that's what its most likely to be"?
    A test for a UTI would be your first port of call which is standard practice in retirement villages which have a high incidence of hematuria, simple dipstick test then off to the lab for a culture and ABs if positive for a bacterial infection.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Smile It is not about you it is about the probabilities

Quote Originally Posted by psychic View Post
    Sure. It will be interesting to see how it might be adopted.Thing is, you rock up with blood in the Urine and although chances are that it is not bladder cancer, you get the full workup anyway right? Whenever they can do this, you know - like in a month or two, costing - what $1500 say?And the results are likely to confirm that you just had a UT infection or whatever, lol, so "here's the antibiotics and, oh - sorry about the discomfort eh, we hope that er, hasn't upset your sex life dude..."Me? I'd say give me the Triage test so I can exclude bladder cancer as a cause - NOW. Pop the antibiotics, and follow up if not clear.I read that time is of the essence with bladder cancer detection. If Triage does not discount Bladder Cancer, then give me that Detect test (to see if I DO have BCa) followed by cystoscopy if you must have a look around. Sure, KP need to thoroughly validate this if they are going to run with it but significant time, resource and cost savings seem there to be had, big time.
    Lol.

I guess the Doctor would say "Well if you are really worried that it is cancer the most definitive answer will be to have a look up there asap and maybe do a Detect (after?) because it catches the occasional one that the poking missing.
    Can you afford it as your insurance company protocol says they won't cover it at this stage?"

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Here's how I see it: You turn up to the doctor with what you think is blood in your urine. They would do a test of you urine for blood. If positive you get a antibiotics which should improve things within a few days. If not you go back the doctor who would mostly likely refer you for a blood test and do a referral to the hospital. At this point you could do a triage test which would probably take around 1 week to know the results? Hopefully by that time the hospital has your referral and you on a list for some action. If the results are that you have bladder cancer, then I would hope you are moved up the list to "urgent" and are seen quickly. In my opinion, this is where the triage test comes in very handy! If you do not have cancer, then you would still be a waiting list for further follow up.
    My thoughts/ comments only....
    Last edited by Trader101; 09-12-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Forty years ago, I went to the doctor with blood in the urine. The doctor, who was an old guy then and is long dead now, held the sample up to the light and peered at it for a moment. "You'll be fine" he said. And that was that.

Forty years ago, I went to the doctor with blood in the urine. The doctor, who was an old guy then and is long dead now, held the sample up to the light and peered at it for a moment. "You'll be fine" he said. And that was that.
    ha ha- love it..

AWOL

Guess you came to rites, satan.
    Last edited by Minerbarejet; 09-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.

it was probably a result of riding the horse to work without a saddle.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Banned

As accurate as anything back in the good old days, actually its pretty simple to distiguish a UTI from other conditions as the urine has a cloudy appearance and has a fishy smell so urine that isn't cloudy and doesn't smell unusual but has blood detectable with the eye or a dipstick could be caused by bladder cancer.
    Last edited by couta1; 09-12-2014 at 07:18 PM.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11371345

Great news for cancer patients. Maybe PEB products can assist with faster and cheaper diagnostic tests.

AWOL

This latest release of Triage to market must surely produce new Edison and Forbar analyses.
    Will be interesting to see how much projections have changed.

CxbladderPredict looks as though it will be very useful too, as a way of finding if those patients with bladder cancer established by any means, not just cxbladder detect, belong in the superficial or invasive category.
    Last edited by Minerbarejet; 10-12-2014 at 09:19 AM.