sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    generally yes so they trade off their reputation.

I note the NZX will be paying them to analysis all the companies on the NXT once it's up and running.
    Research from Edison is better than no research but investors need to take the 'research' with a huge grain of salt.

Edison does not really do independent research but regurgitates a company's view of how the market should view it as an investment proposition - akin to a summary of a company's annual report.

A classic case of research which is 'no care and no responsibility'.

Guru

To be fair--They have well and truley covered themselves with their SP spread and statements like
    ''changing established clinical processes was ''challenging''. ....and

"it is early days and the commercial model is unproven. " also

''There is a risk that Pacific Edge is unsuccessful in commercialization and, therefore, has little value,'' she said.

So in a nutshell they are supporting the science ,but the jury is still out on the commercial model and the ability to crack the conservative
    medical community

On the other issue--Ive always been skeptical of lobbyists,campaign contributers,and anything else that ,can influence the objectivity of the issue by financial gain,but having said that,conflict of interest is one of the pillars of American economic and political policies, so its certainly common place.(If thats being a Conspiracy theorist ,then so be it-you can put any theme song on it you want)

PS-I would have thought that FB would have been able to get along with their membership income alone rather than getting it from both ends.
    Last edited by skid; 04-02-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    a bit harsh balance....... more like 'all care no responsibility'.... same result though.
    Care = due diligence and independent verification of what a company states and asserts.

Does Edison do that?

Hence, no care and no responsibility.

I currently have a close family member who is fighting cancer. The attitudes towards the disease and treatment has been perplexing at times. Seems to me the greatest advantage the PEB has is that its product concerns the DIAGNOSIS of cancer that leads to conventional treatment paths. If their products were concerned with the treatment then I'd fear they would never see the light of day given the thinking that currently resides in some parts of our health system.... Hope they can gain traction in their markets anyway as the early detection of the sickness is a important step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by benjitara View Post
    I currently have a close family member who is fighting cancer. The attitudes towards the disease and treatment has been perplexing at times. Seems to me the greatest advantage the PEB has is that its product concerns the DIAGNOSIS of cancer that leads to conventional treatment paths. If their products were concerned with the treatment then I'd fear they would never see the light of day given the thinking that currently resides in some parts of our health system.... Hope they can gain traction in their markets anyway as the early detection of the sickness is a important step in the right direction.
    There is no doubt about the value of the product it is obviously good. What is interesting to me as an investor is can they scale this in the USA/EU etc. If you remove the emotion and look at the cold numbers this is how to approach it.

Of course if this is a greater good play where commercial outcomes aren't high on your list then just be aware they may fold and you lose your money. Time will tell.

Banned

All investors should firstly do their own research, modelling and valuations. Analyst reports are useful but shouldn’t ever be the sole resource for investment decisions.

One of the big advantages of Edison type reports and prospectus docs too for that matter is that they very often contain information not readily available from other sources as they have direct access to company officials for Q&A, and although they prepare the reports independently, they run a final copy past the company for content correctness.

At the end of the day, no information source is perfect, but I’d hold a bit more trust in a company whose entire business reputation is based on being unbiased than general media published journalism.

And yes, the company pays their bill, they are not a charity, get over it.

I think that those whom don’t like them the most may be the ones whom the report outcome doesn’t suit.

Guru

You have some valid points but I dont agree you are a charity if you cant survive on the membership income from those that hold you in high esteem (if your that good ,there should be plenty that subscribe)--Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Its of course just a sidebar though, as the big question is how well they implement the ''commercial success'' referred to in the report.

AWOL

You can do all the research you like now the internet is here. Trolling endlessly through analysts, forums, news items, vast amounts of intricate medical information, laws, authorizations, recommendations, market announcements, what the charts did before and after breakfast, ----eventually something has to emerge from the slurry which inspires you as an individual to purchase or sell the particular share you are interested in. Some people cotton on to something early, some late and some are so engrossed in research waiting for the right bit of research, information, analysis to come along that they forget to buy any in the first place. But by gee their research was bloody marvellous.
    If we all waited until all the boxes were ticked from all sources available, well, ----there goes the sharemarket.
    I'm off to the waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    If we all waited until all the boxes were ticked from all sources available, well, ----there goes the sharemarket.
    Absolutely agree here Miner. I think some wannabe investors never quite get there because they are just too conservative in their thinking. Even after analysing the balls off the subject company business they still look for any small reason that justifies not pulling the trigger. Then, just as they start to feel safe the company finally takes off and the opportunity has passed them by. They console themselves by knowing their money is still safely in the bank.

Then there are the others who never actually buy...they just love analysing and researching....

Quote Originally Posted by Dentie View Post
    Absolutely agree here Miner. I think some wannabe investors never quite get there because they are just too conservative in their thinking. Even after analysing the balls off the subject company business they still look for any small reason that justifies not pulling the trigger. Then, just as they start to feel safe the company finally takes off and the opportunity has passed them by. They console themselves by knowing their money is still safely in the bank.

Then there are the others who never actually buy...they just love analysing and researching....
    Then there are those who have bought, think they have it sussed but do not see the fully loaded freight train barreling towards them at 200mph.

Tick ... tick ... tick