sharetrader
Page 61 of 2125 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465711111615611061 ... LastLast

I am actually going to pose a general question to the experts, but it mentions PEB, so I thought it OK to pose it here.

As a very junior in trading I have in my first few weeks come to the general conclusion that shares move more on promise and speculation than on real hard "getting real results". Three of the stocks I have been following have exemplified this, one of which is PEB and the others, I apologise, are ASX stocks.

PEB - all looking good on promise of a start in US. They get the OK for the lab, and down goes the share after the biggest highs.

BSL - Bluescope Steel. All going well with news of joint venture with the Japs, then bingo, down it goes when all signed up with them.

AUT - Aurora Oil & Gas. Similar thing. Share price rising on promise of acquisition of more drilling land (Eagle Ford), and down it goes when all signed and sealed.

Are these observations of mine what generally happens with stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    buncs, its called buying the rumour and selling the fact. if the results are positive then hold for the next run up
    Yes Buncs. If you have done your research and, in your gut instinct, believe in the stock, what is happening to you can be called AN OPPORTUNITY.
    Buy more on the dip if you are in a position to. Ether way, do what moosie says and wait for the upswing.

Heres an analogy for you...so you turn up at the race course with your hard earned dough and say to yourself. "Buncs my boy, whats the point of putting $2 for a win on the favourite..its returning $2.20 ..whats the point?" "I'm going to go for the outside paying 80 to 1 and make it worthwhile" . Meanwhile your Mum has put $10 for a place on one of the favourites. You know the rest of the story. Remember the play/spec money should be recognised for what it is...looooong shots. In answer to your rhetorical question about ..is this what happens to stocks... if you want success to be more than a one in 50 shot you obviously have to be more objective about what you are "investing" in.
    Quote Originally Posted by buncs View Post
    I am actually going to pose a general question to the experts, but it mentions PEB, so I thought it OK to pose it here.

As a very junior in trading I have in my first few weeks come to the general conclusion that shares move more on promise and speculation than on real hard "getting real results". Three of the stocks I have been following have exemplified this, one of which is PEB and the others, I apologise, are ASX stocks.

PEB - all looking good on promise of a start in US. They get the OK for the lab, and down goes the share after the biggest highs.

BSL - Bluescope Steel. All going well with news of joint venture with the Japs, then bingo, down it goes when all signed up with them.

AUT - Aurora Oil & Gas. Similar thing. Share price rising on promise of acquisition of more drilling land (Eagle Ford), and down it goes when all signed and sealed.

Are these observations of mine what generally happens with stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hancocks View Post
    The US Cxbladder website has been 'taken down' for upgrading; am I noticing new logo in the address bar??

US Cxbladder web site development
    It looks like a bladder!

Quote Originally Posted by Hancocks View Post
    The US Cxbladder website has been 'taken down' for upgrading; am I noticing new logo in the address bar??
    I think it is just the logo of their webdesign company http://www.firebrand.co.nz/

I can understand your uneasiness with the thought that what you do could be thought of as betting but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck...then what else is it? So the the concept of DYOR is great but is limited to your resources, the accuracy of the info you retrieve (or are fed) and lastly and most importantly the individual capability and experience of the person "doing the research". Absolutely correct in that every now and then will come a "big bang" and everything will seem as if it is all worthwhile.....all the failures, liquidations, mysterious share drops and regular requests for more capital will be conveniently forgotten in the euphoria of the big one. Buncs was asking if this was what he could expect. Moosie is a believer and nothing wrong with that. We all believe what makes us happy but its just self delusion to believe we are somehow able to pick all the long odds at a better rate than highly trained and inside movers and shakers. When tou get right down to it ...we are all betting..its just the difference in odds at that seperate us. I'm betting that WHS, TEL,TUA etc will continue to pay good dividends. Traders are betting that there is a cycle they can identify and exploit and spec/penny dreadfull followers are betting that the occasional winner will outdo the the inevitable disasters. My point is you need to recognise what you are doing and come to terms with that or adjust it to suit.
    I'm kind of uneasy about all the references to betting that are now popping up on here. if you DYOR and follow the fundamentals (most of the time. think xro...) then it should not be seen as betting. knowledge is always power, and the more you know and sooner you keep up with the times the more you capital you will end up with. even when blt was the 100 to 1 I still made money off it from my knowledge of ta and market psychology, not a lucky punt...

I'm kind of uneasy about all the references to betting that are now popping up on here. if you DYOR and follow the fundamentals (most of the time. think xro...) then it should not be seen as betting. knowledge is always power, and the more you know and sooner you keep up with the times the more you capital you will end up with. even when blt was the 100 to 1 I still made money off it from my knowledge of ta and market psychology, not a lucky punt...
    Same ethos some of the greatest punters in the world ...DYOR ....the more they research, the more they know, the sooner they keep with the latest news ....the greater the probability of calculatedreturns paying off

Birman is right .... 'Investing' is really just one big gamble

I don't like the fact that one of the synonyms for Investment is Plunge...I wonder if the context is "you should plunge into the share market" or "the share market will plunge after you invest?"

Plunge. Say it lots. Its sounds very strange after a few times...

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    I don't like the fact that one of the synonyms for Investment is Plunge...I wonder if the context is "you should plunge into the share market" or "the share market will plunge after you invest?"

This all sounds like it is digressing from PEB into a whole new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post

I see the list contains 'flutter, and 'speculate' and 'hunch' as well

Investing = gambling by the sounds of it