sharetrader
Page 642 of 2129 FirstFirst ... 14254259263263863964064164264364464564665269274211421642 ... LastLast
Results 6,411 to 6,420 of 21286
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robbo24 View Post
    Sparky also said peb at 2.50 by years end
    Let's hold that clown to it then $2.50 sounds pretty darn good

What's your appetite for risk?

a) high: buy at $1.00/1.01 (anticipating a double bottom) and hold.
    b) med: wait for a higher low before buying either later same day or the next morning (with a stop loss say 2 cents below that low)
    c) low: wait for both a higher low and a higher high before buying the following day (with a stop loss just below that previous day's low).

Of course the potential reward associated with each of the above varies - typically the more risk averse the trade, the lower its potential reward, and visa versa.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat. View Post
    What's your appetite for risk?

a) high: buy at $1.00/1.01 (anticipating a double bottom) and hold.
    b) med: wait for a higher low before buying either later same day or the next morning (with a stop loss say 2 cents below that low)
    c) low: wait for both a higher low and a higher high before buying the following day (with a stop loss just below that previous day's low).

Of course the potential reward associated with each of the above varies - typically the more risk averse the trade, the lower its potential reward, and visa versa.
    Bobcat, by the way you apply the term ‘risk’ you could actually be mistaken for having developed a perception from having not done enough research on the company, market or sector. If so, it would be no wonder that just following a squiggly line and hoping it will go up would seem to be an inherent risk in itself.

I would suggest that your use of the word ‘risk’ should actually be directly substituted by the inverse of ‘ignorance is bliss’.

When a stock is so absolutely undervalued as this one is at present, and we are looking at what is probably the best entry point for 2014, whether you buy here or buy there, a few cents seems to matter little in the big picture.

We may all very well look back at anywhere between $1.05 and $1.50 as having been a jolly good buy.
    Last edited by MAC; 26-04-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    I would suggest that your use of the work ‘risk’ should actually be directly substituted by the inverse of ‘ignorance is bliss’.
    Give the guy a break. This website is called "Sharetrader", not "ShareBuyAndHolder"
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

Love the above comment! Damn straight. Good on you bobcat. Always like your posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Careful MAC, there are people who make a living off squiggly line following (myself to be included very soon).

I wouldn't be calling those who bought @ 30, sold at 70, rebought @ 50, sold at 80 (or 1.20), rebought at 1.00 then sold at 1.70 idjits would you now? They've made a lot more money than just buying and holding wouldn't you agree? And about to make a lot more when the downtrend ends. We also do FA and listen very intently to you guys who put the hard yards in and try to give back with our own hard yards to help those who want to understand why a stock is moving on no news. If you don't understand it it doesn't mean you have to denigrate it...
    Trader is no idiot moosie, I am a believer in FA + TA = RA. But the trader making more money than someone who bought and hold? Def not, the scenario you have provided means someone would have traded this stock to perfection which would be impossible... Not to mention all the tax on it, if the trader is paying tax that is.

Someone like hancocks who have hold onto it since 9 cents... I highly doubt there is a trader of PEB who have made more capital gains than the person who has been holding onto PEB since 9 cents.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Give the guy a break. This website all called "Sharetrader", not "ShareBuyAndHolder"
    Noodles as someone pointed out on another thread we are all traders the difference being how often one sells or buys whether it be daily or once a year,traders with no investment strategy(Or Lab rats as Mac calls them) can make money but only 2% are truly sucessful statistically the rest would be better off just investing and collecting divvys or going long on a stock.At the end of the day over a five year period its the difference between your purchase price and sale price that really matters plus any dividends received, think about those that bought Xro at $1 and sold at $45,they would have made heaps more than any frequent trader. However frequent trading is fun and addictive so appealing to many,personally if your on a resonable income,i see no point in being a full time lab rat,your better of investing but for those sick of their current day job or people nearing or in retirement i can see the appeal,ive certainly lost a lot a lot of money jumping in and out of stocks but thats how we learn best by making our own mistakes having not listened to others advice ie the hard way

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Noodles as someone pointed out on another thread we are all traders the difference being how often one sells or buys whether it be daily or once a year,traders with no investment strategy(Or Lab rats as Mac calls them) can make money but only 2% are truly sucessful statistically the rest would be better off just investing and collecting divvys or going long on a stock.At the end of the day over a five year period its the difference between your purchase price and sale price that really matters plus any dividends received, think about those that bought Xro at $1 and sold at $45,they would have made heaps more than any frequent trader. However frequent trading is fun and addictive so appealing to many,personally if your on a resonable income,i see no point in being a full time lab rat,your better of investing but for those sick of their current day job or people nearing or in retirement i can see the appeal,ive certainly lost a lot a lot of money jumping in and out of stocks but thats how we learn best by making our own mistakes having not listened to others advice ie the hard way
    Been doing this for a while now - and making good money. You need a stock that is volatile and highly traded - millions every day - and steel balls. Find the Daily lows and buy and sell on the highs. If you have a big-enough holding, two or three cents difference will give a good return. Profit is 30% tax, 30% reserve to cover your mistakes and 40% to the back pocket or wherever. Sometimes you can trade several times a week and sometimes you may have to wait weeks to get in or out but the profit is there for the taking - PEB is not a good bet for this.
    Last edited by craic; 26-04-2014 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Careful MAC, there are people who make a living off squiggly line following (myself to be included very soon).

I wouldn't be calling those who bought @ 30, sold at 70, rebought @ 50, sold at 80 (or 1.20), rebought at 1.00 then sold at 1.70 idjits would you now? They've made a lot more money than just buying and holding wouldn't you agree? And about to make a lot more when the downtrend ends. We also do FA and listen very intently to you guys who put the hard yards in and try to give back with our own hard yards to help those who want to understand why a stock is moving on no news. If you don't understand it it doesn't mean you have to denigrate it...
    Sorry for cluttering up a biotech thread with this, but I'd be very interested to hear how Moosie is going to do day trading. It would be keen to see

1. What his setup is (software, hardware, subscription services)
    2. What his theory/technical tools are
    3. What his profits and losses are

Please forgive me for being cynical, but I understand that Moosie is a museum/historian of some kind, and aged around 30, without a background in finance or similar. I would be interested to know what kind of "edge" he has over the big boys with instant live data, multiple screens conveying large amounts of information, and much larger budgets that enable them to "make markets".

Perhaps Moosie might be keen to start a thread on this on the investment strategy page? I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but I just don't know how the "little guy" can beat the big boys on day trading. The successful technical based traders I see here on Sharetrader seem to hold positions over periods of time rather than just mere days (thinking of Hoop, for example).

Anyway, good luck Moosie. I hope your PEB holdings deliver you some nice upside (if you are holding). It seems to be the stock that sits around doing very little until there's a big piece of news that rockets it up. Hopefully the next news event isn't far away!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Traders: I challenge one of you to share a live log of your trades and their profitability etc. In my experience, its VERY hard to consistently make money over the longer term, not least because of transactions costs.
    And nigh on impossible if you require income (for living) from your trading activities.