sharetrader
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

i do believe your light years ahead of carney , i know from your previous posts you would not blindly trade these patterns .

it seems in volume 2 he has related the price action to rsi , which will provide added protection for trading alternate bats and butterflys as the price will print lower from x point but rsi should diverge.

not much use in crabs (price action too far away from x point) and gartleys no price low

I wonder how much trading Scott actually does with the patterns.

I havent read all the book yet, but so far havent seen any entry/exit ideas. As well as the patterns I would also like to see actual examples of entries/exits. Readers really need to know how to properly trade these patterns, plus money management ideas.
    Did book 1 give this info?

Anyway, interesting to see the move ended spot on the 261.8

PS - have you read page 264?
    Last edited by arco; 18-09-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Question

Hi DB /ARCO
    initially to know what type of pattern is forming does it depend upon the B projection whether its .50 or over?
    supposedly here is a bat in the making b 38.2 and currently price is 7272 so would Carney as soon as 7275 has been taken out, go long? with d extending to .7950 area being price reversal zone 886 of x a leg.am i on the right track?
    Last edited by roddy; 19-09-2007 at 09:54 AM.

morning roddy

from what carney says all patterns are unique and quite specific

in the retracement patterns the gartley has a very non negotiable 61.8 so that pattern forming could be a bat possibly overshooting 886 as its not an ideal 50

he refers to this thing called a bamm which means a bat printing that passes a b point on cd leg is atrigger to buy with target around 886 but like anything needs confirmation

morning roddy

from what carney says all patterns are unique and quite specific

in the retracement patterns the gartley has a very non negotiable 61.8 so that pattern forming could be a bat possibly overshooting 886 as its not an ideal 50

he refers to this thing called a bamm which means a bat printing that passes a b point on cd leg is atrigger to buy with target around 886 but like anything needs confirmation

Hi Roddy

I tend to think of patterns as being either a Gartley shape or a BF shape (or derivative). I personally dont worry now about any other names. Its basic Fibonacci after all is said and done.

Generally Gartleys B is 38.2-618 and BFs may go to 618-786. Occasionally potential Gartleys go on to become BFs and what you thought was going to be a BF ends as a Gartley.

Hobbs gives the Gartley B leg a 38.2-61.8 measure, Pesavento states a Gartley should have a B leg btw 618-786 75% of the time, and an AB=100%CD. Carney staes B must be exactly 618. So you will see, everyone has there own idea. Mr Gartley didnt even give a fib measure to the pattern, and he discovered the shape in 1935. Carney came up with a 5-0 pattern recently - I've always called it a drop leg butterfly. And so it goes on.

Have a look at Carneys site, bascially you get all the pattern measures there for free, and you can download PDFs on BAMM and 5-0.

http://www.harmonictrader.com/

rgds - arco

Question

DB/ARCO,
    its starting to make more sense,do you trade the d leg,or wait
    for price reversal zone

Roddy

Its a method that can be exploited, but I dont often do it that way
    unless I have other signals to confirm.

Trading the D leg - you could basicially look to trade the B breakout,
    unless you like aggressive trading off Fibs or Ganns on a potential C reversal.
    (see Carneys free Bamm PDF for some ideas of D leg trading).

Gartley Watch
    Check out Eur.Chf for a perfect Carney Gartley set-up with B = 618. We
    can watch this one and see how it plays out.

"The Great Gartley Controversy"
    http://www.harmonictrader.com/gcontroversy.htm

Alan Farley has a different set of parameters for a Gartley. Quote...........

Apply less common retracement strategies to avoid the crowd. H.M. Gartley described little-known Fibonacci relationships in his 1937 book "Profits in the Stock Market." The Gartley Pattern relies on a 78% retracement, and represents another way to capitalize on those caught in a 62% whipsaw. This classic setup, first described almost 70 years ago, works just as well now as it did during the Great Depression.

afternoon guys , yeah interesting concept trading in the patterns , i do feel its something im going to have a bit more of a crack at, probably trying to identify bats.

i like carneys approach to rigid pattern parameters , it just seems to make it easier to apply.

interesting that pattern you posted arco from alan farley , i would say that could well be a bat in progress , 50 retracement , rough trend line through a - c point bounce in progress looking 886 completion.not impossible which i guess just goes to show how its a dynamic situation,
    but certainly a profitable trade off that 786 what ever you call it