sharetrader
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Resurrect the thread and the answer appears in the papers!

City house costs 85pc above Australia
    The cost of building a house in the Auckland region was between $1388 and $1601 a square metre.
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

I am in process of getting ready to build close to the sea now, although a concerned neighbour is making me an offer which I may accept if it is good enough and due to the quotes I have.

Total cost including some earthworks and retaining is coming in around $3250+ GST per sqm.if you want to look at it that way, total development cost $875k including professional fees. This also ties up with a developer up the road that I spoke to who recommended budgeting for $3500 + GST to be on the safe side.

Building close to the sea now requires that stainless hardware is used and this type of requirement really escalates the cost over building in other areas. Also I guess choosing a flat section would reduce costs.
    http://www.smallcaps.co.nz

Profit & Loss is Opinion; Cashflow is Fact

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by R2

I am in process of getting ready to build close to the sea now, although a concerned neighbour is making me an offer which I may accept if it is good enough and due to the quotes I have.

Total cost including some earthworks and retaining is coming in around $3250+ GST per sqm.if you want to look at it that way, total development cost $875k including professional fees. This also ties up with a developer up the road that I spoke to who recommended budgeting for $3500 + GST to be on the safe side.

Building close to the sea now requires that stainless hardware is used and this type of requirement really escalates the cost over building in other areas. Also I guess choosing a flat section would reduce costs.
    You are quit wrong if you think stainless is only required in harsh beach building conditions. NZ has the most expensive and ridiculous building regulations in the whole wide world. Stainless is required everywhere. In the old days before the loopies took over we had concrete piles with galvanised wire holding the sub floor framing down with no problems ever to my knowledge. then we move into tana piles 125x125 timber h5 ground retention with galvanised bolts in the braces, and galvanised brackets holding the bearer and joists. I have never encountered a problem with that ever. Then we have stainless steel bolts in everything,plus stainless steel brackets, plus stainless steel bolts in handrails.
    The Australian house is better than its NZ counterpart, it seems that they have people making the rules that actually understand building.
    Exterior walls must be allowed to breathe yet we are forced to fill them up with batts. I am so pleased that i am out of it, otherwise i would be off. macdunk

Article
    Building costs spark inquiry

The Commerce commission has been asked to investigate the high cost of building materials...
    Auckland city council figures show there has been a 65% rise in the cost of building a house since 1999....
    The chair of the council's economic development and sustainable business development committee says he has been told its cheaper to import and construct kitset homes from Brisbane than build from scratch in NZ
    source-Newstalk ZB
    [8D]
    .^sc
    Nakamoto means of Central origin ...

Guru

Thanks for that Steve - "The cost of building a house in the Auckland region was between $1388 and $1601 a square metre.

A small house is defined as 145sq m and a large house as 202sq m."

Gives me an idea on what a new house is worth, buy or build.

quote:Originally posted by tricha

Anyone know the new average costs, be nice to know what effect inflation is having [?][?][?][?][?]
    Seven years ago I built for $1,200 SQM with few conversations about leaky buildings and compliance had simple council processes / inspections.

Am now doing a renovation for $3,200 SQM with 17 council inspections booked as part of the consent and so many different products going in to ensure compliance the process is a darn sight harder now!

And why =- because consumers wanted something that had form before function and built dumb houses that were just not suitable to a NZ climate!

Guru

Thanks for that Minimoke - to put things into context, does that mean inflation and compliances have increased that much, houses are actually still fair value [?][?][?][?]

quote:Originally posted by tricha

Thanks for that Minimoke - to put things into context, does that mean inflation and compliances have increased that much, houses are actually still fair value [?][?][?][?]
    If houses are considered fair value based on construction costs, then the affordibility ratio has been blown out by income not keeping pace...
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Advanced Member

Anyone who has never built a new house has no idea of what the hassle is like for the builder developer. We have to donate all sorts of land, pay roading levies to the area. We have to have detailed plans, and engineers reports for every little detail. The council will go right out its way to delay the process, and make it as expensive as they can. When you finish all that they will change the rules half way through the project, even when your plans are stamped and approved. Who pays in the end for all this bullsh*t?, Its the little man in the street trying to buy a house. Nz has the most stupid house building rules in any country that i ever built in. Leaky homes is what you get when idiots make the rules nothing will change until there is a massive clean out. I cant ask a building inspector anything, they are not allowed to make a decision when a minor problem arises. It costs another $600 bucks for an engineers report with further delays, trips back and forth standing in line at the council office. Take all the rule changes out for the last thirty years, get it back to that, and start again. macdunk

Guru

Steve "If houses are considered fair value based on construction costs, then the affordibility ratio has been blown out by income not keeping pace..."

Thanks for that Steve, puts it all into prospective, income has not kept pace, so rentals are screwed, because you can not and will not get rent to cover buying a property at todays prices for a very long time.

And as Duncan states, the rules to build are also screwed, hmm, need to re-think this one ........

And NZ have a people party called labour, hmm, makes you wonder sometimes ...........