sharetrader
Page 21 of 566 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121521 ... LastLast

quote:Originally posted by nelehdine

As a part owner of a dairy farm in Mid Canterbury I would certainly look at any opportunity to invest in agriculture in South America. The idea of a big equity partnership owning several dairy and beef farms certainly appeals.
    YOU should GO there first have a look get the feel and let us KNOW.. [8D]

Fellow shareholders in our farm company have been to Brazil,Uruguay and Argentina ... great long term future according to them, that's good enough for me prior to looking at any investment proposal on its own merits.

Thanks for the concern ...
    nelehdine

Guru

More to the point what has happened at PGW or is the company in a cyclical downturn?

quote:Originally posted by nelehdine

Fellow shareholders in our farm company have been to Brazil,Uruguay and Argentina ... great long term future according to them, that's good enough for me prior to looking at any investment proposal on its own merits.
    Possibly better than in Mid-Canterbury from what I here. I know a non-dairy farmer there getting huge prices for feed. They reckon it'll be a crunch summer for some dairy operators. Hope you're not in that boat neleh.

I can understand dairy farming in south America, but don't they still have "Foot and Mouth" type problems that restrict their beef export opportunities ?

Regards Neledine in Canterbury, arn't they supposed to suffer under forthcoming El Nino ? Would be OK if they have irragation sorted though.

Will purchase a minimal holding in PGW, just to keep an eye on them (watchlists don't work for me, need a couple of at risk dollars for me to pay attention) and to also get a chance of a punt in South America (assuming there will be priority for existing holders)

quote:Originally posted by kura
    Regards Neledine in Canterbury, arn't they supposed to suffer under forthcoming El Nino ? Would be OK if they have irragation sorted though.
    Probably OK if the water comes from the Rangitata, but everybody seems to be drilling ever deeper bores. And the groundwater and rivers continue to get skankier.

Guru

quote:Originally posted by kura

I can understand dairy farming in south America, but don't they still have "Foot and Mouth" type problems that restrict their beef export opportunities ?
    Generally Uruguay hasn't suffered from FMD in recent years, similar to neighbours Argentina & Brazil. When these countries have had problems, it has only been certain provinces, and export bans & movement controls are put in place - but South Americans have a way of getting around these things. Must be a risk though, as think it is widespread in Paraguay.

Uruguay have picked up alot of market sgare in some countries, when the argies have had an export ban to keep the domestic price down, or FMD problems.

Cheap beef is still flooding out of Brazil, and their exports are still growing.

quote:Originally posted by limegreen

groundwater and rivers continue to get skankier.
    Can't say I've ever heard of the word "skankier" before, it's a new one for me ! Is it some sort of rhyming slang for a similar sounding word begining with "w" ? or just something localised to the South Island ?

Water is not skanky as it comes from the Rakaia , farm only about 1km from northern banks. Plenty of snow up in the alps and its been raining solidly now for virtually 24hrs. Sept was kind after a very rough winter. Cow condition is not optimal going into mating but production in Sept was ahead of budget after a slow start in August. Has been an excellent investment over the last few years, not as good as my viticulture partnership here in sunny Marlborough but not bad. ( 11.5% compound return over the last 3 years ... vineyard return comfotably over 20% !! )
    nelehdine

Advanced Member

From the adjective [u]skanky</u>
    foul, disgusting, repelling, revolting, yucky, distasteful,loathsome, repellent, wicked.
    offensive - unpleasant or disgusting especially to the senses.

(Source - Free Online Dictionary)