sharetrader
Page 338 of 566 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348388438 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 5655

Well if this drought is so tough then perhaps someone should sell so I can get a fill for my top-up buy order at 48.5 cents

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    Just cause the grass looks green does not mean it's not a drought.
    Currently 50% of the country is in what farmers refer to as a green drought another 25% is in a severe drought.
    A green drought occurs when you have only had enough rainfall and heavy dews to keep a green tinge to the grass but not enough to make it grow.
    When we are in a green drought the grass does not carry the nutrient or sugars required for production and is generally reffered to as maintenance grass(that is stock should maintain condition but not put on wieght
    Looks like some good rain in the long term forecast and the whole thing could reverse within a month if we get it, not at critical point just yet IMHO. ( I've seen a few droughts back in my shearing days down in Canterbury)

Banned

have you seen to Canterbury recently
    No not for a while, I remember one year in the early 80s if I recall correctly when all the paddocks around mid Canterbury were just dirt and dust.

have you seen to Canterbury recently
    Actually - it doesn't look too bad from where I sit (just in the middle of Canterbury ...). Yes, without irrigation the fields are brown (though green shoots showing up after the rain earlier this week). Just noticed its now again possible to get a peg into the ground without heavy equipment - and hey - most of the farmers around here have (working) irrigation anyway.

Overall not one of the better years, but have seen as well a number of worse years before at this place.

Obviously - farmers always complain. It is always either to dry or to wet or too windy or too hot or too cold - and if nothing of above applies than I am sure that we had in these rare and exceptional years either a terrible hail or too much snow. So, taking all this into consideration - this is just another of an endless row of terrible years. No fun in farming - and nobody makes money. I just can't understand why people don't prefer to sell their farms and burn the money instead, would be much easier and less complaining involved. But then - without complaining it wouldn't be fun, wouldn't it?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

Its all about lifestyle at the end of the day BP plus the fact that a lot of farms are generational so not given up come hell or high water.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Actually - it doesn't look too bad from where I sit (just in the middle of Canterbury ...). Yes, without irrigation the fields are brown (though green shoots showing up after the rain earlier this week). Just noticed its now again possible to get a peg into the ground without heavy equipment - and hey - most of the farmers around here have (working) irrigation anyway.

Overall not one of the better years, but have seen as well a number of worse years before at this place.

Obviously - farmers always complain. It is always either to dry or to wet or too windy or too hot or too cold - and if nothing of above applies than I am sure that we had in these rare and exceptional years either a terrible hail or too much snow. So, taking all this into consideration - this is just another of an endless row of terrible years. No fun in farming - and nobody makes money. I just can't understand why people don't prefer to sell their farms and burn the money instead, would be much easier and less complaining involved. But then - without complaining it wouldn't be fun, wouldn't it?
    Mate you've absolutely nailed it. They're worse than a bunch of winging old retired Pom's complaining about their unreliable Rover car's. Even in a good year they seem to find plenty to complain about for goodness sake !!!
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-03-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Mate you've absolutely nailed it. They're worse than a bunch of winging old retired Pom's complaining about their unreliable Rover car's. Even in a good year they seem to find plenty to complain about for goodness sake !!!
    Not to mention about their (Poms) skills in Cricket...ouch did I say that

Missed by that much

Most new Zealand farmers have seen similar conditions many times in the past and have set up their water storage and irrigation requirements to suit. The current drought is not as bad nor as widespread as the one 2 years ago, and no-where near as bad or widespread as the 2008 drought. They are hurting, as in possibly reduced income this year, but for those who have been through this before it will not change their farming practices.

The farmers who are hurting the most are those who have recently converted to dairy in semi arid areas, like Central Otago and mid Canterbury. Great when they have water, but may struggle to survive when the dry really hits.

Advanced Member

Farmers have the best union in the country fed farmers the whs cant complain about a wet summer and get govt relief

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Farmers have the best union in the country fed farmers the whs cant complain about a wet summer and get govt relief
    Rio Tinto complained about the price of Aluminum and got real cash, not just deferred taxation.