sharetrader
Page 6 of 127 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Default wind turbine gebbies pass

Travelled through gebbies pass at least 6 times in the last 3 month's
    nevr seen the thing turn yet ,

you don’t have to be a energy expert to work out wind generator is not the way forward

lets look at a cheap wind generator
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MG4510

To make 1 Kw it has to run at full speed for 5 hours

1KW from energy retailer is about 17c.

wind generator is priced at 499.00, so to break even it has to generate 2935 kw.

multiply that by 5 to get 14676 hours of operation.

so wind generator need to run for 611 days or 1.67 years continuously.This is assuming the generator is running at full speed and there is plenty of wind and no break downs.

so unless you are in the business of manufacturing and servicing wind generators you are unlikely to make $$$

Unless 1KW of hydro power goes up to like 100c, it hard to justify a wind farm.

Guru

Shane - I think the larger ones are more efficent. That means that after 1.5 years (assuming no maintanence), it is free power. Assuming it last say 20 years, that isn't bad. How long does it take to pay of a hydro dam?

On the other hand, I have a friend who built a self sufficent farm house. He choose solar as it was more efficent/cost effective than a wind turbine.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Herbacious

Reason the euros ruled out the 2 bladed design was partly because they didn't have the teeter-mount that WTL use, nor the torque limiting gearbox. 3-blades provide a more stable and even distribution of torque. BUT they still can't cope with extreme winds, which is why the WTL turbine is so good. It can use a lighter turbine and still cope with the big blows. Therefore, more efficient. The bg euro designs have constant gearbox problems as it is.

Advanced Member

Here is a link to todays shareholder update. Its hidden away on their website ,, not easy to find

http://www.nzwindfarms.co.nz/publica...May%202008.pdf

slow learner

Yes, took a while to find presentation on web site!

Looks like good reliability is being maintained in all wind conditions.

The IEC certification seems important, holding back orders for stage 4 until it is through.

These are on my watch list, if all goes to plan would be a good long term investment.

I'd love to see an independent comparison of the pros and cons of the Windflow turbines. Windflow are obviously keen on them, but comments from other NZ electricity companies aren't positive, although that might just be PR spin for them choosing other turbines.

I see that the use of less concrete for a Windflow turbine is highlighted, but they don't clarify if that is less total concrete, or less concrete/kW. I assume the former as the turbines are significantly smaller, but I wonder if the latter is the case. Obviously if the concrete/kW is more then the overall cost/kW will be higher.

I wonder if Te Rere Hau JV might use the IEC certification as an excuse to choose another companies turbines. That could be a very big day for Windflow.

slow learner

From what I have read, through structural engineering and the use of a steel mould (pictured in presentation) they have reduced the volume of concrete from stage 1 turbine construction.
    They also quote that Windowflow turbines have a lower cost per kwh compared to other wind turbines.

I believe once the market believes the reliability to up to industrial standard (perceived or otherwise) then they should take off.

IMO fundamentally there is a lot of up side to Windflow.

slow learner

I bought a few of these today and hoping this is bottom and to build a holding over time (in the dips), will be a good long term investment IMO.

At NZ$2000 per KW it has got to be the cheapest power investment.

bit out of favour at the moment NWF... but i hear from my broker that insto's are starting to get keen

LOL
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”