sharetrader
Page 85 of 127 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    Well I wasn't expecting a dividend to turn up today 
    I knew it was coming but I was reminded that the sentiment at the last AGM seemed to be that paying off debt would be preferable to paying dividends that would be taxable to us.
    I wonder what caused the change in sentiment.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JAYAY View Post
    I knew it was coming but I was reminded that the sentiment at the last AGM seemed to be that paying off debt would be preferable to paying dividends that would be taxable to us.
    I wonder what caused the change in sentiment.
    Yeah that is true. Because when I checked my dividend I see that the company paid the RWT for the dividend. So its a cash payment made to the IRD that they in theory should not have to pay if they did a share buyback or something else with the money. So you personally have to pay no tax on the dividend but the company has done that which is a bit silly when the company is sitting on tax losses. Bit miffed about that one.

I believe they were getting some advice about what their future strategy should be ie. sell themselves. I wonder if the recent board changes are related to that. Either something is in the pipeline? Or there was disagreement amongst the board about what to do?

I note they commented at the last AGM about adding an alternative fuel source. I've wondered for some time if they've looked at some sort of energy storage system, I would hope they have. I don't know the economics but I assume batteries aren't cost effective. Obviously pumped-storage hydro would be a prohibitive project from a cost and time perspective, and that's ignoring finding a suitable location, resource consents etc. But I've wondered about something as simple as running a cable-car filled with dirt up/down the side of their hill. When electricity prices are low use the electricity to raise the cart, when prices are high lower it, generating electricity. I imagine it would be pretty cheap to build compared to a hydro dam, and should have pretty good efficiency. No doubt Shane Jones's slush fund, Callaghan Innovation and NZ Green Investment Finance would all be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_on_OE View Post
    I believe they were getting some advice about what their future strategy should be ie. sell themselves. I wonder if the recent board changes are related to that. Either something is in the pipeline? Or there was disagreement amongst the board about what to do?
    Yes, it does look a bit like that. Either the "Strategic Review" has stalled or there is a deal in the pipeline that they don't want to compromise by releasing info at this stage. AGM coming up late September. Looks like we will have to be patient until then at least.

Certainly sounds very positive.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    Certainly sounds very positive.
    Well done to holders.Just 12-15? years too late.
    A parody of errors by management?
    Such a shame the issues couldn't be sorted out years ago.

Advanced Member

Hopefully the price will dip a little when the noise calms down. Want to accumulate a few but not prepared to chase it.
    Anyone care to speculate at what price the company would buy at? 10c? 12c? Because until we actually see some buybacking going on it all just words.

Long Member

anyone know what their obligations are in terms of NZX disclosure? ASX stocks issue a buyback note each day of the buyback which clearly outlines purchase price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Hopefully the price will dip a little when the noise calms down. Want to accumulate a few but not prepared to chase it.
    Anyone care to speculate at what price the company would buy at? 10c? 12c? Because until we actually see some buybacking going on it all just words.
    I thought it was god buying at .21c. I was wrong
    When it floated at $1/share?