sharetrader
Page 3 of 127 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Banned

quote:Originally posted by Paper Tiger

quote:Originally posted by pimpit

The cheapest wind generator you can get in nz is $585.
    It generates 200w at 40m/s wind speeds.
    To get 1kw you need to have it running for 5 hours at top speed.

To buy 1kw hour off the power grid is only 17c.
    I believe wind generator's have very poor rate of return for the investment.

40m/s = 144km/h

BTW Are we talking about the windmill or the cow?
    Definately not viable. On windless days that is why you need to cow there.When the cow farts it can generate some power but the fart tax at then works out more than the money genreated by the windmill. And that aint no bull.

Advanced Member

Forgive me guys for going slighly off topic, but i think rather than windmills we should place turbo pods anchored in the bottom of rivers, and harbour entrances. Out of sight no noise continuous power. MACDUNK is on to it drawings at the ready first prototype on the [ahem] horizon. We have rivers rushing to the sea harbours filling up and emptying out a little bit of thought a few bob thrown my way from you lot and we are in business. macdunk

Off topic too but wasn't there a New Zealand company about 15 years ago that tried producing mini hydro power devices? They had some mini turbine that could be placed in rivers without dams and produce power for 600 homes or some such. Can't remember the name...

quote:Originally posted by Halebop

Off topic too but wasn't there a New Zealand company about 15 years ago that tried producing mini hydro power devices? They had some mini turbine that could be placed in rivers without dams and produce power for 600 homes or some such. Can't remember the name...
    Well Lads its all been done before the USA gov spent heaps on it main trouble beside`s heaps more is the constante flow required it vary`s all the time so does the generation Factor.. [8D]

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Too stay off topic for another post.
    If you want to use the flow of rivers build a damn dam and cope with the RMA.
    If you want to go tidal then try synchronising the orbit of the moon with the peak demand of the consumers of New Zealand.
    Meanwhile NZ Windfarms keep telling us how well the IPO offer is going but we can still apply for shares.

PS The announcement "NZ Windfarms Talking Corner Stone" is not a break-through in communications.

PPS I am looking forward to NZ Windfarms adding more variety to the Palmerston North vista*.

*Anybody know whether this windfarm will be visible from Woodville?
    om mani peme hum

Guru

The problem with wind, riverflow, tidal flow, waves and even the sun is that you cant guarantee it will be there when you need it. that is why you will always need dams/thermal/nuclear.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Theoretically trading starts today in the heads (NWF) and options (NWFOA) for this one.
    I am not expecting the turnover as for U2 tickets.
    Actually I am not expecting this to trade at all.
    om mani peme hum

as a follow on from my last post well over a month ago, today sees the first trade in the head shares: 2,000 @ $1.20.

Still no trade in the options.

Disc: none
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

On campbell tonight, dosent look too good. Can see plenty of potential opposition to the things.
    I certainly wouldnt want them nearby

Did not see the programme but I have just seen the five turbines currently installed of which only three were operating.
    They certainly look a little odd when compared to the three bladers of their TrustPower neighbours and the big Genesis turbines further along.
    om mani peme hum