sharetrader
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by arco View Post
    Friday December 12, 2008, 1:28 am EST

I still can't quite get my head around the enormity of the numbers in the Madoff case.
    l
    Heres another one - he's just been sent to the Big House for 150 years. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/worl...d-to-150-years

Default Comparing CFD providers

Default Xforex arrrives in NZ - $2000 bonus

I spotted this new? broker advertising - "Xforex arrives in New Zealand'.

Not sure who they are just yet, but may be US based.
    Last edited by arco; 23-09-2009 at 08:19 AM.

CFTC Charges James Ossie and CRE Capital Corporation with Operating a $25 Million Foreign Currency Ponzi Scheme

Georgia Man and Corporation Allegedly Ripped Off 120 Investors

Washington, DC – The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) announced today that it charged James Ossie of Atlanta, Georgia, and his company CRE Capital Corporation (CRE) of Alpharetta, Georgia with operating a Ponzi scheme involving more than 100 people and approximately $25 million in connection with foreign currency transactions (forex). Ossie resides in Dawsonville, Georgia and is president and sole owner of CRE; neither has ever been registered with the CFTC.
    According to the CFTC’s complaint, Ossie and CRE promised pool participants that they would earn a 10 percent return on their money within 30 days by trading United States and Japanese currency pairs. The complaint further alleges that since June 18, 2008, rather than making money for pool participants, Ossie and CRE lost approximately $4.4 million trading forex. Finally, the complaint alleges that Ossie and CRE operated a Ponzi scheme, in which forex trading “profits” were actually paid from the principal of subsequent pool participants.
    “Investors must run the other way when approached by anyone claiming to guarantee exorbitant monthly returns, like those promised by CRE and Ossie. Such representations should raise an immediate red flag that such investment is too good to be true,” said CFTC Acting Director of Enforcement Stephen J. Obie. “We are seeing an uptick in Ponzi scheme cases because, in this economic climate, new investors cannot be found to perpetuate the scheme. As these schemes collapse, the CFTC will move swiftly to prosecute those who harm innocent investors.”

http://www.cftc.gov/newsroom/enforce...pr5598-09.html

IG Markets opening in NZ
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10602829

"
    He thought IG's competitive advantages included the ability to provide New Zealand-dollar denominated products which removed foreign exchange risk from positions in overseas indices and commodities.
    IG runs a "hybrid" model where positions taken by clients may be "synthetic" - established by matching transactions within its global client base - or where positions result in the actual purchase of securities on relevant markets."
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Default Billionaire among 6 nabbed in inside trading case

Wall Street wake-up call: Hedge fund boss, 5 others charged in $25M-plus insider trading case

• By Larry Neumeister and Candice Choi, Associated Press Writers
    • On 7:35 pm EDT, Friday October 16, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) -- One of America's wealthiest men was among six hedge fund managers and corporate executives arrested Friday in a hedge fund insider trading case that authorities say generated more than $25 million in illegal profits and was a wake-up call for Wall Street.

More
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Billio...94948.html?x=0

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by arco View Post
    I used E*Trade for my CFD trading in the past was shocked how much commissions they made from my trading added up over $10,000 from memory and as I lost money CFD trading,warrants,futures it was yet another reason why I trade only ord's an opts now for many $$$$$$
    Last edited by JBmurc; 18-10-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Mi spellllig
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Default John Meriwether Set to Open New Hedge Fund (Again) after 2 Failures

Unbelievable.

..................... the infamous John Meriwether, after driving his 2nd hedge fund into the ground early last year, [Mar 28, 2008: Founder of Long Term Capital Failing Again] has found a new round of suckers to invest with him again. For someone in my position this story is the type that creates the propensity to bang a head into a sturdy wall. Somehow a man whose "ability" required the Federal Reserve to make the first move that really set the entire precedent of "too big to fail" in 1998 by "rescuing" his hedge fund (along with the bankers!), and concurrently re-opened (and failed) a 2nd time, can walk on water and raise money with his magic wand. Details on the "original bailout" of Long Term Capital here - the amount, $3.5 Billion, that was considered "too big to fail" back then, is amusing in retrospect to what we've just done the past 18 months.

More info

http://finance.boston.com/boston/?GU...ChannelID=5895

So much for track record huh... When funds fail, there is always an external unforseen problem though, aint there? When they do well, the manager is the hero...

Jan. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Joseph Collins, Refco Inc.’s former outside lawyer, was sentenced to seven years in prison for helping Chief Executive Officer Phillip Bennett and other executives defraud investors of $2.4 billion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a3gTuiHWluwc