sharetrader
Page 38 of 143 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/347736 Net Asset Value just on $1.67 as expected. I see no reason for this to trade at a premium or a discount to NAV.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Thanks for crunching those numbers mate and agree its not cheap to run but I am sure those expenses include the performance fee that they have certainly well and truly earned in the last year.

As I type its $1.71 and trading at a 4 cent premium to last reported NTA. I have already taken the appropriate portfolio action at $1.70 and above any intelligent investor would.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Out of curiosity - which is what? (given that I am a very long way from being an intelligent investor )

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I have already taken the appropriate portfolio action at $1.70 and above any intelligent investor would.

So the question for me is, is it best to buy and hold KFL or the FNZ. I trying to work that out, and would appreciate anyones feedback.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    Beagle,

Agree it is hard to understand why anyone would pay a premium. I would not buy unless there is a solid discount (10%+) to NAV as the Operating Expenses are high averaging 2.76% of opening shareholders equity over the last 5 years (calcs below). Compare this to virtually no expenses for self managed or 0.1% + $30 p.a. for Simplicity NZX50 fund. Many of KFL holdings are big constituents of the NZX50 anyway including AIA, FPH, ATM, RYM, SUM, POT, MEL, IFT and MFT.

Operating Expense $m/Opening Shareholders Equity $m/Operating Expense %
    2019 - $9.17 m /$276.3m /3.3%
    2018 - $7.00 m /$220.1m /3.2%
    2017 - $5.01 m /$208.4 m /2.4%
    2016 - $4.87 m /$165.8 m /2.9%
    2015 - $3.28 m /$161.8 m /2.0%

Thanks for that Mogul. I will look into the Simplicity NZX50 option, I have been buying mine through Investnow. I have all the family including myself in the Simplicity kiwisaver scheme.

Simplicity NZX50 fund with fees of 0.1% plus $30 p.a. far better value than FNZ which has fees of 0.5% if you are buying a few. Can create auto withdrawals from Simplicity fund I believe if you want some income. Average operating expenses on KFL funds around 2.8% p.a. as posted above, so you would need to think the Fisher team can consistently outperform the market by around 2.6% p.a. to match the Simplicity option. Not confident on that myself when they hold a lot of the big stocks in the index anyway. It would change the equation a bit if KFL were to revert to trading at a discount, but they have been surprisingly trading at a premium recently as per Beagles post. DYOR.

Disclosure. Hold none of the above as prefer the 0% fee option of own portfolio. I do have Simplicity Kiwisaver with has fee of 0.31% plus $30 p.a.

Simplicity NZX50 fund with fees of 0.1% plus $30 p.a. far better value than FNZ which has fees of 0.5% if you are buying a few. Can create auto withdrawals from Simplicity fund I believe if you want some income. Average operating expenses on KFL funds around 2.8% p.a. as posted above, so you would need to think the Fisher team can consistently outperform the market by around 2.6% p.a. to match the Simplicity option. Not confident on that myself when they hold a lot of the big stocks in the index anyway. It would change the equation a bit if KFL were to revert to trading at a discount, but they have been surprisingly trading at a premium recently as per Beagles post. DYOR.

Disclosure. Hold none of the above as prefer the 0% fee option of own portfolio. I do have Simplicity Kiwisaver with has fee of 0.31% plus $30 p.a.
    http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...408/315571.pdf Ownership of Kingfish changed a few years ago to the Taranaki savings bank community trust and new investment team put in place shortly thereafter. Well worth noting that their gross performance before fees for the 3 years to 31 December 2019 was 3.5% per annum higher than the NZX50. Adds a bit of heat to the debate about whether passive or active funds management is best. I think given this, neither a premium nor a discount is warranted as its quite clear they are earning their keep.
    3 year average gross performance 22.2% per annum, 3 year average NZX50 performance 18.7% per annum.

The PIE tax free status makes it dead easy for people and the regular issues of warrants makes for an interesting instrument to work with.

I currently hold none because they are not worth a premium. I manage most of my N.Z. investments myself.
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-01-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Yeap, I am happy. Further back than 3 years was a different investment team and the current team inherited their legacy investments. Most recent one year performance by all three seperate teams at KFL, BRM and MLN has been exceptional but I agree, past performance is no guarantee of future poerformance.
    Marlin and Barramundi are especially useful to me as I don't have the time or inclination to thoroughly research a vast array of international equities.
    ETF's all the rage these days but I think there's still a place for active management and the Kingfish teams are proving their worth. One advantage they have over me personally investing is they have more patience than I do
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-01-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Just as Beagle deserts the ship they try to seduce him back with an offer of some free warrants.

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/348013
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Can’t keep KFL down for long

Seems market thinks it deserves to trade at a premium to NAV

(Need to change thread title)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Can you explain to me how trading at a premium/discount works? How does one decide if a discount or premium is justified? And what it means for holders?

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Can’t keep KFL down for long

Seems market thinks it deserves to trade at a premium to NAV

(Need to change thread title)