sharetrader
Page 12 of 167 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nzd.usd

Of course Peat, only pulling your leg.

your alt+print works OK but I can't crop enough out in order to not display the entire family jewels (and in any event can't upload to ST anyway)

Got that download Arco, do you have to reload it each month? I seem to have been directed to the platinum version and irrespective of what one does its only a 1 month trial. But anyway, will have a play

Peat, when the Kiwi eventually realises it can't fly, gravity should have the appropriate impact, i.e terminal velocity, but not sure its ready for that just yet

Xerof

Xerof

The Platinum special ediation works for one month, after that
    the Gold is totally free until your hard drive crashes.

At that time, game over, re-apply.

There is also a nice little image editor with the program.
    After that, save file and manipulate in 'Paint' or other
    paint programme. Easy as ABC.

Have fun..

arco

Not sure if this can affect the NZD?

May 10, 2005

The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry is investigating a claim that there has been a deliberate release of the foot and mouth virus on Waiheke Island in the Hauraki Gulf.

Biosecurity director Barry O'Neill says the claim, which was made in a letter to the Prime Minister's office on Tuesday morning, is probably a hoax but is being taken very seriously.

MAF has activated its disease management response systems.

A controlled area notice has been issued which restricts the movement of livestock and risk material on and from Waiheke Island while the investigation is underway.

There are no restrictions on people travelling to or from Waiheke Island. A police inquiry into the origin of the letter has been launched.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_national...%3fformat=html

Hmmm, that possibly explains the sudden dump from 7320

In my experience, and I was very close to it in my past life, any rumours about farms being isolated have always caused a rapid sell-off, until proven otherwise. Obviously an outbreak of F&M is an absolute disaster for the NZ economy, as the CjD story a year or so ago now could have been. This one is slightly different, being a letter to Helen, and smacks of being a hoax. But you never know, terrorism takes unusual forms.

IMO a confirmed outbreak would take 20 to 30 cents off the Kiwi inside a day, with almost no recovery until its cleared.

I'll stay short....ahem

Xerof

yeh its been huge topic of conversation on the gv forum. but seems like its a hoax. Hope so - dont wanna miss out on Waiheke wines

Howdy folks!

I've been lurking this forum for a little while with great interest as it's the only forum I've found with New Zealand resident currency traders.

First I'll tell a little bit about myself.

I'm located in Christchurch, I'm self-employed, and I'm fortunate enough to have quite a bit of free time to dedicate to my new "hobby".

After several months of demo account trading with several companies I opened a small "for real" account with Oanda in January.

The good news is I'm up 125+% on my account to date.

The bad news is I probably only have enough experience and understanding of currency trading to be highly dangerous.

If I could best describe how I trade it would be short-term trading in the direction of long-term fundamentals.

The five currency pairs I monitor are:

NZD/US
    EUR/US
    GBP/US
    JPY/US
    CAD/US

I currently have an NZ Dollar short at .7313 "working without a net".

Which brings about one of my bigest concerns:

I "work without a net", meaning no Stop-Loss, for two reasons:

1.) I'm not comfortable in my applying the tool appropriately

2.) If I trade the "right side" of a long-term trend it will eventually come right if I go into the red....or so my thinking goes.

I'm keen to learn about technical analysis, and would be keen to join any currency trading clubs or possibly sign up for currency related training if any such things are available in the Christchurch area.

Thanks in advance for your time and best of luck trading.

Welcome Lakedaemonian.

Your input/ideas will be gladly received.

125% - you are certainly doing very well. Congratulations.

You say you are working "in the direction of long-term
    fundamentals". On what information are you basing your
    longer term trades ?

Regards
    arco

quote:Originally posted by arco

Welcome Lakedaemonian.

Your input/ideas will be gladly received.

125% - you are certainly doing very well. Congratulations.

You say you are working "in the direction of long-term
    fundamentals". On what information are you basing your
    longer term trades ?

Regards
    arco

Hi Arco.....thanks for the welcome.

My business interests include import/export(mostly import), so I'm acutely aware of relative pricing differentials between certain currency pairs(particularly NZ related) for various goods. This has led to my interest in FOREX trading

The "fundamentals"(if that's what they really are) I tend to go with are as follows:

Big Mac Economist Index(and other identical consumer commodity prices)
    Durable goods price differentials(big one for me)
    Relative real estate price differentials(harder to judge...but I THINK it can be of value)
    Interest rates
    Trade surplus/deficits
    Immigration figures(I think they are of value when considering the NZ dollar...in my opinion I think they could be inversely proportional)
    Defense spending(minor one, but worth considering high US spending versus low NZ spending as % of GDP)
    Averaging out currency "fair value" opinions(big one for me)
    Relative tax and tariff policies
    Central Bank decisions
    Historical currency pair performance(big one for me)

BASICALLY everything I can possibly absorb about a particular nation's economy and currency, but throwing out what I fail to understand.

It seems to be working so far......but 4 months is hardly an adequate sample size...we'll see how it goes!

That's why I'm keen to learn more about technical analysis.....if I can get "the stars to align" maybe by using both my trading confidence will rise and hopefully reduce my risk a bit.

We shall see

Hi Lake....can we call you Ian? welcome aboard the forex express.

Those are certainly 'big picture' fundamental elements to be using for shorter term trading, but seems to have worked for you so far.

you'll find useful tips on TA at www.tacticaltrader.com and there are plenty of leads on www.fxstreet.com

Unfortunately, there's almost too much out there, especially on the net.

Perhaps you could invest some of those returns and buy a decent book on the subject. Arco, maybe you could recommend one or two from your collection?

cheers

Xerof

Xerof/LDM

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications by John J. Murphy

arco