sharetrader
Page 2 of 291 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Share Collector

Macdunk - if you go back a bit further, KIP and CNZ were doing nothing at all. It's been a bull run for listed property for best part of 4 years and it won't last forever. I'm getting more underweight on them by the month...

Referring to the stock picking game for 2005, RBD returned 7.3% - beating 85% of average entries in the contest (including yours at 0.81%), despite finishing well off its mid-year highs...

Advanced Member

LIZ, I didnt say that listed property companies were a good investment. Snoopy and i have been having this discussion for years. He inferred that RBD stood up well against property listed companies i think the opposite. LIZ let me remind you that my dogs selections are way ahead of yours in this years comp so that means nothing at all. macdunk

Share Collector

Oh well, another thread disintegrates into the same pointless arguments...

...must remember never to attempt any meaningful analysis on RBD!

On the doghouse

quote:Originally posted by Lizard

The trading in RBD seems to have been very odd in the last few months since the expired takeover. It is trapped in a very tight range (mostly $1.27 - $1.30). Volumes have been quite erratic and occasionally large. Today (a relatively quiet day) a large volume of shares traded (does anyone have the VWAP?). I am interested to know whether there is an explanation for this behaviour.
    Just noticed I hadn't answered the original question. In my assessment there is no explanation because not all market behaviour demands an explanation. And this IMO is one of those cases.

"Trapped in a very tight trading range" means there is general market agreement about the share value. Daily volume changes in all shares outside the top twenty can generally be classes as erratic.
    In this case there are big shareholders selling shares to other big shareholders and small shareholders selling shares to other small shareholders.

All you have described Lizard is the normal operations of a generally static market. Just because some trading statistics can be generated doesn't mean they have meaning. My explanation for the trading behaviour you describe is 'random noise'. However, if you seek an explanation when there is nothing to explain your mind is a superb creative device. The mind will find a pattern in the random noise if you are determined to see one.

SNOOPY

Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Share Collector

Okay Snoopy, no arguments, I do have a superbly creative mind...[:0]

Still, RBD has broken out over the last two days. Somehow, it is not trading with the rest of the market. Personally, I think this seems positive.

Cheers,
    Liz

On the doghouse

quote:Originally posted by Lizard

RBD has broken out over the last two days.
    I'd still say a rise of under 2% is just as likely to be noise than anything significant

quote:
    Somehow, it is not trading with the rest of the market. Personally, I think this seems positive.
    I'm not so sure RBD ever *has* traded with the rest of the market!

Both Phaedrus and Macdunk have pointed out to me several times that RBD didn't really take part in the market rally over the last two years. Largely I suspect because the market decided it was a 'zero growth' share. That is the negative way to look at RBD.

On the positive side a 'zero growth' share will not go down in price either, unless the outlook for the business deteriorates significantly. Management forecasts 'steady as she goes', and so sails the share price - even in a falling market.

SNOOPY

Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

quote:Originally posted by Snoopy

Both Phaedrus and Macdunk have pointed out to me several times that RBD didn't really take part in the market rally over the last two years. Largely I suspect because the market decided it was a 'zero growth' share. That is the negative way to look at RBD.

On the positive side a 'zero growth' share will not go down in price either, unless the outlook for the business deteriorates significantly. Management forecasts 'steady as she goes', and so sails the share price - even in a falling market.

SNOOPY

A zero growth share with a good dividend yield in a probable zero growth market is not a bad thing.
    However what you really need is a share which will actually over time grow earnings, share price and dividend to provide returns in line with with the average market growth.
    Does RBD acheive this?

Reading back through the announcements from this company and the aborted takeover it is difficult to feel that although this may recently have have been a reasonable buy for the short term that as a longer term investment this is a company going nowhere and the risks of the assorted franchises are slowly mounting....

Disc: It is Hell for me.
    om mani peme hum

In yesterdays ODT there was an article & photo on the Dunedin North KFC being shut down on Friday with a 'D' rating. Management declined to comment...

Also, for those interested, the South Dunedin KFC is being completely upgraded. It has currently been reduced to its timber frame. I am looking forward to see what the 'new' model of store will look like.
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Advanced Member

BONGO, The minimum wage will have no effect on the profit margin. The competition has to pay it as well one cancels the other out.
    Bird flue now spread to india humans catching it of birds is only a small step away to humans getting it from humans. If that happens KFC had better learn how to make KENTUCKEY FRIED LAMB. MACDUNK

quote:Originally posted by hiawatha

quote:The minimum wage will have no effect on the profit margin. The competition has to pay it as well one cancels the other out.
    The fish & chip shops probably won't; but in any case a fall in profit which is experienced by everybody is still a fall in profit.
    hiawatha
    They all stick the pricess up ... might even make more money
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”