sharetrader
Page 239 of 291 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 2905

Thinking of sinking $1000 in shares (I know it's relatively not that much) as my first investment. I remember doing an 8000 word analysis on all of the ratios etc for NCEA Level 3 last year which led me to consider investing in Restaurant Brands.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirjosh50 View Post
    Thinking of sinking $1000 in shares (I know it's relatively not that much) as my first investment. I remember doing an 8000 word analysis on all of the ratios etc for NCEA Level 3 last year which led me to consider investing in Restaurant Brands.
    They have a positive growth story which has paid off for them over the last couple of years. They also have a DRiP which gives you the equivalent of compound interest. They cycle the annual shareholder meetings between Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, unlike many companies. And there's the free lunch voucher each year.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cymonger View Post
    it was the most widely picked stock at the beginning of the year when they polled all of the major brokers. Not exactly a 'health-conscious' company, but it will almost certainly continue to go up.
    Just out of curiosity, what does "health-conscious" have to do with anything? Investing is about making a return on capital surely?

I wonder whether Taxinda will introduce a 'Junk food tax'? Apparently, Mexico and Hungary have 4-8% tax on 'junk foods' with great sucess - https://www.vox.com/2018/1/17/16870014/junk-food-tax

Anyways, I think RBD is still a great company and am slowly increasing my holdings in it.

‘Chicken is where it's at’: the unstoppable rise of KFC

KFC has survived health scandals, veganism and a major delivery fail: can the fast food behemoth stay on top?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/aug/18/chicken-is-where-its-at-the-unstoppable-rise-of-kfc

There are 1,158 comments

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    I wonder whether Taxinda will introduce a 'Junk food tax'? Apparently, Mexico and Hungary have 4-8% tax on 'junk foods' with great sucess - https://www.vox.com/2018/1/17/16870014/junk-food-tax

Anyways, I think RBD is still a great company and am slowly increasing my holdings in it.
    Won't "Taxinda" be good for RBD? Even if a junk food tax is introduced here, and Labour tax policies actually result in a redistribution of wealth to poorer families - wouldn't that increase the spending power of a prime market for fast food sellers?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 31-08-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirjosh50 View Post
    Nothing wrong with starting at amounts you are comfortable with, and good on you for doing the research and taking the plunge while young. My first investment was also $1000 back in 2014 and it served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodean View Post
    Nothing wrong with starting at amounts you are comfortable with, and good on you for doing the research and taking the plunge while young. My first investment was also $1000 back in 2014 and it served me well.
    Agreed, starting small is not an issue.

I personally started with roughly $400 into each of 42 Below and Nuplex, quite a few years ago.

Starting small may not be cost effective from a brokerage point of view. However, it is very beneficial when you consider the knowledge gained from putting some money on the table and following/learning from your decisions.

My initial investments had their ups and downs, but overall one of the best decisions I have ever made (investing, rather than the specific companies).

Good luck Sir Josh.

Te

Disc: no longer hold any RBD shares
    Last edited by Te Whetu; 31-08-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Disc

Getting rid of Starbucks will help overall Group performance

Good move

Pity Carl’s Jnr is a bit of dog brand

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/323192
    Last edited by winner69; 03-09-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I liked this bit in the announcement "...stronger emphasis on its core quick service restaurant brands..."
    Can't say I ever come across a quick service outlet of KFC (not that I go that often), they seem to be the slowest of any of the fast food "restaurants" in my experience, whether you are the only person ordering or 5th (or more) in line