sharetrader
Page 121 of 291 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2905

Taco Bell would be good one i reckon.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    RBD can write-off all the goodwill of KFC and PH for all the market cares.

What's the real value of goodwill?
    In the year 2000 RBD Balance Sheet, the goodwill listed as a result of the Eagle Boys acquisition was $23.186m. That goodwill rose out of the laying out of real money, of *my* money (for I was shareholder back then) so RBD could buy the leases and burn the logos of some 50 Eagle Boys stores.

Whatever the real value of goodwill is now, it was cold hard cash then. And it still hurts now to see that cash frittered away.

Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, as without mistakes you don't learn. But when RBD writes off their investment in PH Victoria, then PH New Zealand and (soon?) Starbucks NZ one has to ask the question. What has mangement learned? And exactly what expertise are mangement bringing to these businesses?

As for other businesses - plenty out there now that RBD is rid of its problem child. I guess the risk is that RBD does another PH Victoria.
    And you know why RBD got into Pizza Hut Victoria don't you? Becuse of their success in managing Pizza Hut New Zealand! Their real success was in eliminating a whole chain of retail competition in NZ with one stroke. Once real competition reemerged though, the flakiness of RBD mangement was exposed for all to see.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by moimoi View Post
    Taco Bell would be good one i reckon.
    Taco Bell has been mentioned as a possibility before, back in the Jim Collier days(?)

However back then, mangement decided to run with the Starbucks concept for their third arm instead. I wonder if that decision will prove a mistake?

I have done quite bit of reading on Taco Bell, mainly because I am a YUM (the parent master franchise holder) shareholder. The interesting thing is, in the United States, Taco Bell has more outlets than KFC. Yet outside the USA, Taco Bell is outnumbered by KFC in a ratio of 50:1. And Taco Bell has had plenty of time to grow overseas, as they were first franchised 45 years ago.

Taco Bell is listed as the market leader in the 'Mexican Quick Service Restaurant' sector. Does that mean Taco Bell owes its existence to millions of Mexicans coming over the border?

I am left wondering if Taco Bell can be made to work in another country. Wasn't there a Taco Bell in Sydney a few years ago? What happened to that? Are there any in Mexico?
    How do they compare with 'real' Mexican food outlets?

SNOOPY

Taco Bell are a similar format to BK and McDonalds, its takeaway food, but its mexican.

They were a very cheap meal. There is a mexican place on Victoria St in Auckland that has been there 20 years or so. The decor doesn't appear to have changed and its been packed every time i have been there. It just makes me wonder if cheap and cheerful mexican food could go quite well here.

Arrow Just what we dont need..

Quote Originally Posted by moimoi View Post
    Taco Bell are a similar format to BK and McDonalds, its takeaway food, but its mexican.

They were a very cheap meal. There is a mexican place on Victoria St in Auckland that has been there 20 years or so. The decor doesn't appear to have changed and its been packed every time i have been there. It just makes me wonder if cheap and cheerful mexican food could go quite well here.
    NO new arm for RBD just when the company seems to becoming good we don't need
    Mexican food or Indian curry STAY with what we got,, PLEASE NOTE the population of NZ;

4,313,746 work it OUT..

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Yankiwi View Post
    In my home town back in the states (population of 13.5K), there is a shop that contains a KFC, Pizza Hut, & Taco Bell.

There is only 1 service counter, from which you can order from any of the three menus.
    To give people some idea of how big your home town is Yankiwi, it is similar in size to Levin (population 15k). I stand to be corrected here, but I think Levin has a KFC and a Pizza Hut as two separate stand alone units. I have read about the 'multibrand' units that operate in the USA. As at year end 2008 there are 4629 such units, but only 40 of those offer food from three concepts.

For me the NZ version of multibranding (those shops that sell fish and chips and burgers for instance) is a turn off. I tend to think that outlets that try to do too much end up doing mediocre job of everything. What is your opinion of how multibranding works in your home town Yankiwi? Do you think it would work for Restaurant Brands in New Zealand?

SNOOPY

Your old mate Bongo rates RBD a buy and says at least a 'dollar and a half'

He's also glad that they finally listened to him and going to hock off some the Puzza Hut stores .... something he told them do years ago when he had a significant shareholding

Thought you would like to know that Snoopy

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by BRICKS View Post
    NO new arm for RBD just when the company seems to becoming good we don't need
    Mexican food or Indian curry STAY with what we got,, PLEASE NOTE the population of NZ;

4,313,746 work it OUT..
    In my view Taco Bell would be a competitor for those largely Greek Souvlaki places that serve Pita bread wraps, with carved spit meat of your choice. There are certainly plenty of those about. Am I correct that Taco Bell serves up mince in a hard corn chip style shells? If that is so, it does sound like a second rate option.

I once thought of opening a Somali takeway outlet as an antidote to the high fat western takeaways. I would have served up only white rice and not much of it. When customers inevitably complained I would have told them to be thankful for what little they got. Maybe Mexican's are similarly grateful for Taco Bell?

SNOOPY

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Your old mate Bongo rates RBD a buy and says at least a 'dollar and a half'

He's also glad that they finally listened to him and going to hock off some the Puzza Hut stores .... something he told them do years ago when he had a significant shareholding

Thought you would like to know that Snoopy
    It is all very well rating RBD as a buy. But has Bongo bought any? And have any of Bongos investments in other retailers been as successful as my own investment in RBD in particular or retail in NZ in general over the years?

I am a true long term investor in RBD, having been on the share register since the company listed in June 1997 (albeit in a small way). I bought the shares not to 'get rich quick', but for income. Over the years I have built up my shareholding a lot, with what I would call judicious buying. My overall capital gain over that time has been, wait for it, nothing. Any time soon I expect Phaedrus to pop up with a long term chart to show what a failed investment this has been. However, if you look at the dividends that have been paid over the years you will find a rather different picture.

Dividends since listing have totalled 96c per share, including the effect of the 1:12 bonus issue on 30th March 2000. We can therefore look at the average compounding return aover those twelve years as follows:

($1.02)(1+i)^12=($1.02+$0.96)

This gives an average compounding return of 5.7% after tax or 8.5% before tax - all of it due to dividends in my case. This is a good result which has been achieved despite the fiasco of the RBD expansion into Australia, and in more recent times the huge problems with Pizza Hut in New Zealand.

Of course those shareholders who bought in at the float at today's equivalent price of $2.03 - the literal buy and hold brigade- will not be doing so well. The secret to investing in RBD for me has been buying when the price is low and people cannot see the underlying strength of the business above the raft of negative news.

Over the last twelve years my overall 'retail investment strategy' in NZ has been surprisingly focused. Before I first held RBD I held no retail shares on the NZX at all. For a while I became a WHS shareholder too. But I sold out after the Australian expansion failed (for a nice little profit it must be said) into the Foodstuffs takeover offer at $5. Over the subsequent months I carefully reinvested that capital into RBD as well.

Overall then my time with RBD has been a roller-coaster ride with more down times than up times, yet I have come out well ahead. Therein lies a lesson to the 'dividend denying' out there.

SNOOPY

discl: Have held RBD for 12 years over which time the share has grown from my smallest NZX investment, to the point today (boosted by the partial share price recovery over the last few months) to my largest NZX investment.

Advanced Member

Default Fundamental Mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I am a true long term investor in RBD, having been on the share register since the company listed in June 1997. My overall capital gain over that time has been, wait for it, nothing.
    Well, there it is again Snoopy. Another 10 - 12 year "investment" for zero capital gain - this, in spite of RBD having risen over 70% recently. It is painfully obvious that you are doing something wrong.

Any time soon I expect Phaedrus to pop up with a long term chart to show what a failed investment this has been.
    Failed is such a strong word Snoopy. I would prefer to categorize it as a very poor investment. Especially when you compare it to the average market gains of about 100%, over this period.

However, if you look at the dividends that have been paid over the years you will find a rather different picture.
    'Fraid not. RBD has been in a long-term downtrend for the last 8 years, and has a confirmed trendline in place. Over this extended period of time it has fallen an average of 15 cents/year - notwithstanding the recent 70% rise! A dividend of around 8 cents/year is not enough compensation for such capital destruction.

The secret to investing in RBD for me has been buying when the price is low.
    I don't think too many people would be interested in emulating your "secret", Snoopy! You also need to be able to sell when the price is high. Buying is only half the story.

Overall then my time with RBD has been a roller-coaster ride with more down times than up times...
    See that? Right there is the main reason for Snoopy's conspicuous lack of success. "More down times than up times"? Folks, that's called a DOWNTREND. You don't want to be buying (or holding) downtrending stocks - whatever their dividend yield! Why fight the market?

I have held RBD for 12 years over which time the share has grown from my smallest NZX investment, to the point today to my largest NZX investment.
    People, read that statement carefully. This is PRECISELY what happens when you "average down" and it is the other reason for Snoopy's woeful underperformance. This undesirable state of affairs is the logical consequence of continually adding to a losing investment, of buying more of a downtrending stock as the price progressively falls. YOUR WORST INVESTMENT BECOMES YOUR BIGGEST INVESTMENT. This is the exact opposite of what you want. Your largest investment should be your BEST. This occurs quite naturally as a logical result of following the old rule "Cut your losers and let your winners run".

When your biggest investment has returned zero capital growth in 12 years, something is FUNDAMENTALLY wrong.