sharetrader
Page 165 of 291 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2905
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    The long term strategy will be to wait for Michael to age then 'make the tackle' as the life force saps out of him. That will unite all of the Carl Junior Burger outlets under the RBD banner.
    RBD should go for the knee - he is weak there. Does anyone know how big his area is - just sought auckland, all of auckland? Why would you buy an area master franchise for only part of a country. Could be a stroke of genius though as they will capitalise on any RBD advertising and once sales are up, an almost guaranteed buyer.

Will be interesting to see how they will go. I know Wendys, Burger Wisconsin and Burger Fuel are looking to expand. I personally pick the later two to win in NZ but haven't tried Carl Jr yet so will be interested to see what it is like.

Brucey - I disagree. NZ (well me at least) loves mexican but cant get it anywhere other than Mexicali (old el paso in the supermarket is also popular). At the right price (ie. fast food price) it would do well
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

KFC dedicated restaurants..no drive thrus on these. Keep the other takeaways and drive thrus as they are and they might just start eating into Macdonalds sales.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by emearg View Post
    Personally I think they should concentrate on making their existing business much better than they are. Pizza Hutt and Starbucks are a worry.
    Fourth RBD quarter sales are out today. 'The market' appeared not to like it with the share price down 7c to $1.92. However, this fall was on a mere 20,000 shares, so I don't see this share price fall as significant. Probably just a small shareholder thinking the grass will be greener somewhere else (an erroneous conclusion in my view).

Most of the sales decline has come from earthquake affected and now closed stores. All of these lost sales will be covered by insurance, so the decline in profitability will not match the sales decline for FY2012.

Pizza Hut has continued to perform badly. So we expect more writedown of goodwill when year end results are announced as stores are sold off, all of which is no surprise to me.

The results from Starbucks look encouraging. Perhaps there is some serious behind the scenes work going on to get this whole division sold now? The sole remaining Starbucks in Christchurch seems quite busy whenever I walk past it.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 07-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Snr Snoopy
    Do not forget jnr carl - he sell well.

The results from Starbucks look encouraging. Perhaps there is some serious behind the scenes work going on to get this whole division sold now? The sole remaining Starbucks in Christchurch seems quite busy whenever I walk past it.

SNOOPY
    Starbucks coffee is not even made by "barista's" any more, they have replaced, or are in the process of, replacing all their espresso machine's with push button ones, very disappointing from a consumer point of view, but at least taste/ flavour will be consistent. Maybe this change was a caveat for RBD to sell the chain, as less chance of an inconsistent product damaging the brand for Starbucks International.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

Not sure about RBD right now
    First Half Revenue 166.8m NPAT 8.6m
    Second Half Revenue 141.4m NPAT ?
    Hard to see FY NPAT meeting their forecast of 20M

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    Starbucks coffee is not even made by "barista's" any more, they have replaced, or are in the process of, replacing all their espresso machine's with push button ones, very disappointing from a consumer point of view, but at least taste/ flavour will be consistent. Maybe this change was a caveat for RBD to sell the chain, as less chance of an inconsistent product damaging the brand for Starbucks International.
    Interested in your comments Silverlight. Do you think it is a problem getting rid of Baristas if the quality of the coffee is made more consistent? Have you had a poor experience at Starbucks yourself?

SNOOPY

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Not sure about RBD right now
    First Half Revenue 166.8m NPAT 8.6m
    Second Half Revenue 141.4m NPAT ?
    Hard to see FY NPAT meeting their forecast of 20M
    Fair point KJ. They did mention that the World Cup was disappointing for them.

However, I don't think that a sales decline necessarily reflects a profit decline. Pizza Hut was losing money. So perversely the less pizzas that are sold, you may find that this improves RBD company profitability rather than weakens it.

SNOOPY

Interested in your comments Silverlight. Do you think it is a problem getting rid of Baristas if the quality of the coffee is made more consistent? Have you had a poor experience at Starbucks yourself?

SNOOPY
    NZ's coffee culture is well evolved, and starbucks culture is to say their way is the best, which grates with NZers and the NZ coffee culture. However, they did have real baristas, which most people appreciate, as being a barista does take skill and that, in my mind, is what you pay for in a $5+ cup.

I appreciate a well made espresso, but so many cafes that have a espresso machine have average barista's. Starbucks always had above average barista's in my view, and Starbucks policy of replace your drink if you are not happy, and give you a free voucher for the next one, always has gone down well with me, as I would happily go buy a latte or an americano, knowing that if I wasn't happy I could take it back and the next one would also be free.

Additionally some starbucks beans are superior in quality and flavour to beans roasted in NZ (ie Kenyan and Italian) and this is a misnomer among most coffee experts in NZ, as they dismiss starbucks straight away; however this point is rather moot as coffee bean sales are not large and probably never will be.

RBD though have always run Starbucks as if a latte is the same as a piece of chicken, stick it in the deep frier for 2 minutes, pull it out, presto. Therefore maybe the training of barista's has led to a variability in the product being delivered, as some baristas working for the chain clearly indulge in being a barista and make an excellent coffee, where others don't care and make just a nice coffee. This variability in product is hard to control unless you remove the barista from the equation, replace with a machine and you get a consistent product, average, but consistent.

Will customers continue paying $5+ for coffee that takes no skill? Maybe they now pay the staff less, maybe they have less wastage, maybe less complaints, maybe their turnover is lower, but maybe the costs are lower still, and maybe starbucks actually turns a profit, maybe just maybe... or customers leave starbucks in droves for real coffee, and the brand continues to languish as it already has for 14 years under RBD...
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    NZ's coffee culture is well evolved, and Starbucks culture is to say their way is the best, which grates with NZers and the NZ coffee culture. However, they did have real baristas, which most people appreciate, as being a barista does take skill and that, in my mind, is what you pay for in a $5+ cup.
    Interesting comments Silverlight, from the pesrpective of view of someone who is not a coffee connoisseur (me). This is going to sound rather low brow to you, but I often judge a cafe by whether they can serve a hot drink that is actually hot. It is surprising the number that cannot do this, (although I should point out that I do not frequent Starbucks).

I appreciate a well made espresso, but so many cafes that have a espresso machine have average barista's. Starbucks always had above average barista's in my view, and Starbucks policy of replace your drink if you are not happy, and give you a free voucher for the next one, always has gone down well with me, as I would happily go buy a latte or an americano, knowing that if I wasn't happy I could take it back and the next one would also be free.
    As a shareholder this free voucher policy will be costing me! But if it keeps customers happy, then I am happy for Starbucks to do it.

Additionally some starbucks beans are superior in quality and flavour to beans roasted in NZ (ie Kenyan and Italian) and this is a misnomer among most coffee experts in NZ, as they dismiss starbucks straight away; however this point is rather moot as coffee bean sales are not large and probably never will be.
    I presume you are talking about the takeaway packaged beans here? Good point about people dismissing coffee beans just because they are branded Starbucks. But as you say I am sure those counter sales are part of the total image rather than contributing seriously to profitability with New Zealand.

RBD though have always run Starbucks as if a latte is the same as a piece of chicken, stick it in the deep frier for 2 minutes, pull it out, presto. Therefore maybe the training of barista's has led to a variability in the product being delivered, as some baristas working for the chain clearly indulge in being a barista and make an excellent coffee, where others don't care and make just a nice coffee. This variability in product is hard to control unless you remove the barista from the equation, replace with a machine and you get a consistent product, average, but consistent.
    The question is though, are you saying you cannot program a coffee machine to do a cup of coffee right, for most people? Do you give your barista special instructions, or do you leave everything up to them?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-03-2012 at 03:12 PM.