sharetrader
Page 189 of 291 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2907
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by vorno View Post
    & that'll be it now... good luck to her finding work again. As the CEO will be saying "done-deal, wash hands, next patient!"
    She was offered other roles actually, but seems does not wish to accept either. Fine,her choice. We do not know her financial circs, might be the millionaire next door for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    She was offered other roles actually, but seems does not wish to accept either. Fine,her choice. We do not know her financial circs, might be the millionaire next door for all we know.
    An old lady who would move from easy work in a call centre to physical work at a chain? (the way the article sounds at least). If that is indeed the case, be realistic!

Guru

An old lady who would move from easy work in a call centre to physical work at a chain? (the way the article sounds at least). If that is indeed the case, be realistic!
    Luckily the government provides universal super*.

* which she is already receiving

The role has been disestablished. They have been offered more redundancy that the unions managed to negotiate for them OR another role in the company. Sure it is harsh but it does sound fair.

Advanced Member

One of the roles was making pizzas. More physical than sitting on a phone line, but not like heavy lifting or mopping floors all day. Maybe it was part time, or part time could be possible - we don't know.

Certainly the call centre work could be easy, but perhaps that is largely because there weren't many calls per operator. What was the company supposed to do?

In any case, people get laid off all the time, many with no redundancy - and this lady is better off financially than many others who don't have a guaranteed income for life.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    One of the roles was making pizzas. More physical than sitting on a phone line, but not like heavy lifting or mopping floors all day. Maybe it was part time, or part time could be possible - we don't know.

Certainly the call centre work could be easy, but perhaps that is largely because there weren't many calls per operator. What was the company supposed to do?

In any case, people get laid off all the time, many with no redundancy - and this lady is better off financially than many others who don't have a guaranteed income for life.
    That's the right attitude Artemis

Staff are just a resource, nothing else

When no need for that resource out she goes

Shareholders do not like wasted resources
    Last edited by winner69; 14-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ...... Shareholders do not like wasted resources

Does anyone?

Shows you the greedy, calous attitude of a lot of senior management now a days, and yes I work with some of them.
    14 staff, if they had given them all a months wages as redundancy, whats that about 56k all up, peanuts when you look at the big picture. Could have turned it into a good publicity story, "Pizza Hut gives staff months redundancy as thanks for long service". NZ would have been thinking what a great company !!, now everyone thinks what a bunch of low life wallies.
    Those staff where the first contact for many customers for many years and helped RBD sell Pizza's and get them were they are today, not their fault the internet has cost them their jobs.
    Disc: I hold a few shares

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by In4a$ View Post
    Shows you the greedy, calous attitude of a lot of senior management now a days, and yes I work with some of them.
    14 staff, if they had given them all a months wages as redundancy, whats that about 56k all up, peanuts when you look at the big picture. Could have turned it into a good publicity story, "Pizza Hut gives staff months redundancy as thanks for long service".
    They did!! (wel three weeks anyway).

They were entitled to 1 weeks and they were given 4 weeks (from my reading of the article).

The union probably wanted 4 weeks plus 1 for each year of service which for the old bird, would have resulted in 20+ weeks redundancy payout.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    They did!! (wel three weeks anyway).

They were entitled to 1 weeks and they were given 4 weeks (from my reading of the article).

The union probably wanted 4 weeks plus 1 for each year of service which for the old bird, would have resulted in 20+ weeks redundancy payout.
    Thanks Harvey, artcle I read said nothing, there you go, dont believe everything you read. Sounds like they got a good deal to me.
    Cheers

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by In4a$ View Post
    Thanks Harvey, artcle I read said nothing, there you go, dont believe everything you read. Sounds like they got a good deal to me.
    Cheers
    It is in there (para 8):

"We've known many of these staff for a long time and we would offer a four-week notice period, which is three weeks more than we are contractually required to give," a spokeswoman said.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11292536