sharetrader
Page 233 of 291 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243283 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2905
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    So...I deleted my weekend rant about how bad this stuff is for you and your arteries. John Ryder said in a recent newsletter protein is where the action is at and chicken is cheep cheep, excuse the corny pun. The fact is this stuff is very cheap and that's why people buy it and if they want to get fat on it and clog their arteries that's not my problem. Three brokers can't all be wrong...probably at least give a market performance this year so I dipped my toe in the water this morning.
    Really.?
    A case of do as I do,not as I say?

People need to take personal responsibility for their diet, health and wellbeing. Not my job or yours. Its not a pure sin stock like a weapons manufacturer, gambling, alcohol or tobacco but there are elements of it I don't like and certainly the death rate from heart disease and clogged arteries is alarming...but people buy cars and they get killed so there's a lot of grey area's when it comes to whether an investment is ethical and this is one of those cases. One of my most respected religious elders has RBD shares and doesn't seem to have an ethical issue with them and he's a lot wiser about such issues than this hound.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Unfortunately too many religious people do not let their morals get between them and a dollar...lol.

Veteran novice

Touche! percy!

It's so hard to determine what differentiates a fringe sin stock from a "real" sin stock, isn't it! I don't hold RBD, but only because I missed the bus there, not being convinced that buying into Hawaiian pizza was a great idea.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Touche! percy!

It's so hard to determine what differentiates a fringe sin stock from a "real" sin stock, isn't it! I don't hold RBD, but only because I missed the bus there, not being convinced that buying into Hawaiian pizza was a great idea.
    I sold mine on the Hawaiin deal,however, luckily the trust I help out on did not.
    ps.I think each of us have to decide for ourselves moral issues. I do worry about HBL and TRA making credit too easily available, to people who should not be taking on debt, for consumer products.Then if they don't have a car they can't get to work?
    Best left for "off market discussion." That way we will be spared the rants...lol.
    Last edited by percy; 03-01-2018 at 12:44 PM.

So many grey area's, banks making unsecured loans too easy, airlines creating too much pollution, soft drink makers making too many sugary drinks. As a quick and easy meal once every so often fried chicken, pizza or Carl's Jnr isn't going to kill you, well not much earlier than anything else lol.

I go to Carl's Jnr every now and again. The burgers are consistently exceptionally good, unfortunately our closest outlet has yet to learn how to deliver hot fries with their burgers. Maybe if I am really dogmatic and insistent about the latter when placing my order it might make a difference.
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-01-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Grey areas? What about Personal Responsibility then? Don't borrow more than one can afford to repay. Choose to eat and drink healthy-ish.

Quaint old fashioned notion, I know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Grey areas? What about Personal Responsibility then? Don't borrow more than one can afford to repay. Choose to eat and drink healthy-ish.

Quaint old fashioned notion, I know.
    Yes exactly, personally I don't eat KFC very often because it's fat content by the time you've polished off a half a dozen pieces is stratospheric. Unfortunately the ones that consume the most of this product already have a low life expectancy,and I don't see things changing anytime soon. Not a Sin stock when compared to SKC ,as eating RBD products doesn't normally lead to marriage/family breakdowns or suicides etc. PS-Wouldnt buy SKC if it was the best value play on the market, if fact I wouldn't even accept any as a gift.
    Last edited by couta1; 03-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Had a nice Pizza from Pizza hut for dinner to celebrate my new investment, not dead yet lol

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Had a nice Pizza from Pizza hut for dinner to celebrate my new investment, not dead yet lol
    Was it actually nice though Beagle? I make my own pizza and would not go back to the take out joints if I did not have to....