sharetrader
Page 257 of 291 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 2905
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    If you were comparing disposable income basis, social/economic, you would look at dollar for dollar, Taco Bell in the US is budget.
    In dollar terms, $US3.31 (or $US3.44 including a 4% sales tax) for a 'Double Taco Supreme' in Hawaii and $NZ8.50 for what looks like the same thing in NZ is hardly egalitarian. Yet in wage terms, the minimum wages in Hawaii is currently $US10.10 per hour vs $NZ17.70 per hour in New Zealand. So if we calculate the number of 'Double Taco Supremes' that can be bought with the gross earnings of a minimum wage worker in an hour I get:

Hawaii: $US10.10 / $US3.44 = 2.94

New Zealand: $NZ17.70 / $US8.50 = 2.08

So as a rich country with high minimum wages, we aren't as badly off as just looking at those dollar prices alone might make you think. If Taco Bell has chosen not to aim for the 'low end' of the takeaway food market in NZ offering really cut prices it might be a smart move. There may not be enough poor people in Auckland to support a genuine US style Taco Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Hawaii is expensive for a US state and given the level of tourism. It's the place you go in the middle of the night en-route on a long road trip...starving is the prerequisite to enjoy the food, always drive through as the car park and around the restaurant is borderline dangerous. It food for the masses of working poor in the US, although I will say I actually like it
    My reasons for quoting Hawaiian prices were two fold:

1/ Both Hawaii and New Zealand are prime tourism destinations.
    2/ Taco Bell is run in both countries by 'Restaurant Brands New Zealand'

I have never spent any time in Hawaii myself. However, on talking to someone who has I was told there is very much a two tier tourist market. You are either:

1/ a hotel customer or
    2/ a tenter who gets up to decamp at the crack of dawn to avoid the state ranger coming around to collect the state camping ground fee.

There isn't much in between. So maybe your picture of Taco Bell in Hawaii as a 'crime scene in waiting' frequented by the desperate is not so far from the truth Raz?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 17-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    In dollar terms, $US3.31 (or $US3.44 including a 4% sales tax) for a 'Double Taco Supreme' in Hawaii and $NZ8.50 for what looks like the same thing in NZ is hardly egalitarian. Yet in wage terms, the minimum wages in Hawaii is currently $US10.10 per hour vs $NZ17.70 per hour in New Zealand. So if we calculate the number of 'Double Taco Supremes' that can be bought with the gross earnings of a minimum wage worker in an hour I get:

So as a rich country with high minimum wages, we aren't as badly off as just looking at those dollar prices alone might make you think. If Taco Bell has chosen not to aim for the 'low end' of the takeaway food market in NZ offering really cut prices it might be a smart move. There may not be enough poor people in Auckland to support a genuine US style Taco Bell?

I have never spent any time in Hawaii myself. However, on talking to someone who has I was told there is very much a two tier tourist market. You are either:

1/ a hotel customer or
    2/ a tenter who gets up to decamp at the crack of dawn to avoid the state ranger coming around to collect state camping ground fee.

There isn't much in between. So maybe your picture of Taco Bell in Hawaii as a 'crime scene in waiting' frequented by the desperate is not so far from the truth Raz?

SNOOPY
    Hawaii is very different to New Zealand economic wise, it is a tourist destination however really a group of small Islands with a few defence bases. The poor half certainly live in what is more like an island back water. Think Fiji, inland basic houses with cheap apartments for the main workers in the main city of Waikiki. Min. wage means little when the majority of jobs are hospitality, priced on a tip based culture .

It is an outlier to other states within the US and except for RB Taco same ownership I would say a totally different economy to NZ. The concept is from the mainland USA where it is budget grub, how they sell it otherwise here is my question. Those prices mention in Hawaii are higher than what I pay, say in LA, from my experience. i get a meal of several item and drink for less than $5 US each when there. We are getting in NZ rather expensive for takeaways here so perhaps it is possible..

“ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Starting to look like what the Catholic Church used to do - protect the abusers, promote and move them to other locations and blame the victims?

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Starting to look like what the Catholic Church used to do - protect the abusers, promote and move them to other locations and blame the victims?
    ....and if corporates see staff are just another consumable such things will continue

Shareholder profits first
    Last edited by winner69; 08-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.

....and if corporates see staff are just another consumable such things will continue

Shareholder profits first
    Must say it is absolutely staggering after all the publicity in recent years of HOW NOT to handle sexual abuse cases (Catholic Church, Epstein, Weinstein, Kevin Spacey etc etc etc), RBD still appears to have no idea and no coherent procedures to deal with complaints.

Victimizing the victims twice at this day and age is simply unforgivable! As for promoting the abusers as reward seemingly for such behavior - beyond comprehension and totally repugnant.

"The man was subsequently promoted to supervisor. While the investigation was underway, the man was moved to another Restaurant Brands store and promoted again, this time to assistant manager."

"The harassment and grooming ceased when the man transferred to another store, but started again when he came back to the Pizza Hut ... I found out a while later he was working at KFC - so he's still at Restaurant Brands."

"The company refused to move her to another store, and initially refused to give her any leave, while Singh was stood down on full pay."
    Last edited by Balance; 08-12-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

1/ a hotel customer or
    2/ a tenter who gets up to decamp at the crack of dawn to avoid the state ranger coming around to collect the state camping ground fee.

SNOOPY
    https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-t...-index-1978992

the Big Mac index is always interesting.

I see the writer is Alison Mau, #MeTooNZ Reporter for Stuff.

If RBD thinks the CEO apology will shut this scandal down, I suspect they have a rude awakening ahead - there will be many more articles ahead as it's likely that other RBD staff members will come forward and tell their stories.

What happens when you hire the wrong HR people.
    Last edited by Balance; 08-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I see the writer is Alison Mau, #MeTooNZ Reporter for Stuff.

If RBD thinks the CEO apology will shut this scandal down, I suspect they have a rude awakening ahead - there will be many more articles ahead as it's likely that other RBD staff members will come forward and tell their stories.

What happens when you hire the wrong HR people.
    Chief NZ HR been in that role since mid 2018 but was doing serious HR work for them in year earlier

The Group Chief HR been around for zonks

So the people who mattered were around when the rape complaint was made.

And throughout this sorry saga Russel has been around.
    Last edited by winner69; 08-12-2019 at 11:43 AM.

RBD Board never had many female directors.