sharetrader
Page 267 of 291 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2905

Not a fan of Taco Bell but love my RBD shares. A good compounder

Guru

Recession proof too, better than a power company there.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Recession proof too, better than a power company there.
    I’ve had greater long term returns from RBD than SUM

Greasy chicken wins
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I’ve had greater long term returns from RBD than SUM

Greasy chicken wins
    Probably a timing issue, but sure - helping to kill people can be good business. Just look at Tabaco companies and weapons manufacturers.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Sigh - just removing the usual duplicate. Thanks for poor server performance.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 22-06-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    ----

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Probably a timing issue, but sure - helping to kill people can be good business. Just look at Tobacco companies and weapons manufacturers.
    I have been an RBD shareholder since day dot, so I guess you would class me as a killer. Guilty of 'corporate manslaughter' at the very least. My memory goes back to the old white painted 'hut' restaurants that were boxes for counters at which you could pick up your takeaways from, with a few hard chairs to sit at for those who didn't want their purchase to 'grease up' before they got it home.

No-one would argue that basing your daily diet around KFC is not bad for you. You could probably make the same allegation against your local fish and chip shop which serves up a super size helping of chips compared to KFC. However unlike tobacco, KFC is not chemically addictive. You won't have shivering withdrawal symptoms by missing a feed of KFC. There have been various attempts at healthier salad based KFC options over the years. I don't recall any having real 'stiction'. My reading of this, coupled with the fact that no death certificate has been signed 'ate too much KFC', is that the responsible KFC customers have KFC as a just one element of a broader based and perfectly healthy diet.

I walked past the new city restaurant based KFC in downtown Wellington the other day. It was mid morning and a group of men in hi-vis clothing were in there 'greasing down' some boxed offerings of chicken. But I bet those guys were expending a lot more work energy that I do pushing buttons on a keyboard. So who am I to argue their calories out does not more than compensate for their calories in?

Where I would draw the line is promotion to children, with the incentive for repeat visits being building up a set of plastic toys (for example). IIRC MacDonalds have been guilty of this, but I can't recall KFC doing the same. And yes I do admit there are probably some adults that do eat too much KFC. But I would point out you do have to make a personal decision to go out of your way to get KFC. Unlike cigarettes, it is not available at the supermarket when you make your grocery run. Apart from closing the KFC chain down what is your solution BP?

Make people earn a 'certificate of nutrition', before they are allowed to shop at KFC? Maybe have electronic scales that you have to stand on as you enter a KFC with a laser to determine your height so that you can get a 'BMI' pass before you are allowed in the door? Or perhaps you would like to see a more general wider law passed banning stupidity?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 22-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I have been an RBD shareholder since day dot, so I guess you would class me as a killer. Guilty of 'corporate manslaughter' at the very least. My memory goes back to the old white painted 'hut' restaurants that were counters to pick up your takeaways from with a few hard chairs to sit at for those who didn't want their purchase to 'grease up' before they got it home.

No-one would argue that basing your daily diet around KFC is not bad for you. You could probably make the same allegation against your local fish and chip shop which serves up[ a super size helping of chips compared to KFC. However unlike tobacco, KFC is not chemically addictive. You won't have shivering withdrawal symptoms by missing a feed of KFC. There have been various attempts at healthier salad based KFC options over the years. I don't recall any having real 'stiction'. My reading of this, coupled with the fact that no death certificate has been signed 'ate too much KFC', is that the responsible KFC customers
    It is ok, Snoopy - even various churches and religions make money with peoples deaths ... which included at times killing them beforehand, though admittedly - they rarely make the big money with the process of killing them :

If you are wondering how many people die from the obesity epidemic (2.8 million annually according to WHO figures: https://www.who.int/news-room/facts-...cts-on-obesity) - this is ways more in average than people killed by tabaco and various weapons and roughly comparable what Covid killed over the last 12 months ... only that obesity is repeating this exercise every year.

Admittedly - I don't know how much of this obesity death toll is created by KFC, how much by the local Fish'n chips shop and how much by soft drink makers like Coco Cola. I am sure they all get their fair share.

I guess not knowing is bliss, isn't it?
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Probably a timing issue, but sure - helping to kill people can be good business. Just look at Tabaco companies and weapons manufacturers.
    Comparing succulent chicken to tobacco and weapons? You've lost me.

The colonel's finest brings happiness and joy to a lot of people .
    I had a feed of it on Saturday after 4 long days at the national field days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Comparing succulent chicken to tobacco and weapons? You've lost me.

The colonel's finest brings happiness and joy to a lot of people .
    I had a feed of it on Saturday after 4 long days at the national field days.
    You need to talk with a smoker to learn how good they think a pipe or a cigarillo or a cigarette is for them - I would not know :

And hey, there are positive health effects of smoking as well - my grandmother in law started smoking with age 65 (as recommended by her GP) to help her bowel movements. Apparently it did work - and no, while she died around age 80 it was not due to tabaco consumption :

I never said either that an ocasional fast food meal can't be tempting or would be damaging for your health - hey, I used to visit them once in a decade or so while our kids still have been small. While I never enjoyed the experience - I don't think that the handful of fast food meals I ate during my life time had any negative impact on my health.

Same can be said about the occasional cigarette and the lawful use of guns (apart from in international conflicts, of course) - so, I think the comparison is not too far fetched. All products which create for some an enjoyable experience but kill a material number of either their clients or help them to kill others.

I am sure as long as fast food outlets are used in moderation the positive effects of enjoying an occasional unhealthy meal can well balance the negative. Unfortunately however - too many people are addicted to eating too much (see link provided in prior post or just google obesity epidemic), and for these unfortunate people are the RBD's of the world just creaming it by helping them to kill themselves (and their kids, which already get addicted in young years) faster.

Obviously - they are not the only company making money by helping people to ferry themselves and others faster across the river Jordan ... so no worries.
    ----

I get what you are saying BlackPeter but sometimes people are just happy to eat bad or smoke or drink too much etc. Yes they probably are going to die earlier but sometimes they have lived on balance a happier life than someone living 5 or 10 years longer- just because you live longer it doesn't mean you have had a better life than the next person.

Reminds me of a customer I had a few years back, I helped finance him into a $500k truck that had $100k worth of pointless addons- lights, chrome, mint paint job etc. I showed him how much extra money he could take home each month if he just went with the base model. He didn't care, he was happy living a modest life on a modest income, but I swear he had the BEST LOOKING TRUCK running from Auckland to Tauranga! He was a happy man.