sharetrader
Page 52 of 291 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

quote:Originally posted by hiawatha

I don't compete for shares. I purchase them. Unlike you, I invest rather than speculate.
    hiawatha
    quote:Originally posted by Halebop

Cute but flawed. Try buying 1,000,000 shares in RBD at 1 cent on Monday and see if your offer is "competitive".

There are other buyers and sellers out there competing against you irrespective of your outlook.

Purchasing something is the easiest thing in the world to do. Negotiating an outperforming deal is something altogether different.
    quote:Originally posted by Tom Hall

Cute but flawed. try going in today and trying to buy a new Toyota from the dealer at 1 cent and see if the deal is 'competitive'.
    Your example is incomprehensible and I suspect meaningless as a comparison.
    I had no idea I was being so obscure!

The example was demonstrating that even something as simple as a share purchase is a competitive process - if you really want to own RBD... or a Toyata... try going out there with 1 cent and seeing how many of each you pick up? Potential buyers are going to be ahead of the queue just by offering an extra cent, let alone tens of thousands of dollars more. My apologies for being so arcane.

Investing is a highly competitive process, an easily measurable process and there are plenty of poker players in the game offering a patsy a deal.

On the doghouse

quote:Originally posted by tim23

Good post Snoopy - now if there is another bid for the company say at $1.50 on Monday - that makes you smart and Duncan (who is never wrong) not so smart!
    Duncan is sometimes wrong Tim. His last trade on PGW was a losing trade and he hasn't been back to the NZ market since!

Let's get something right though. If there was a bid for the company on Monday at $1.50 I would be nothing more than lucky. At the AGM a question was put to Chairman Van Arkel on the takeover interest RBD had attracted. There seemed to be some market opinion that there had been offers on the table for the business that had been rejected.

Do you remember the old style fun fairs and the particular stall they used to have with the clown heads? That was the stall where the clowns stared up at you all in a row open mouthed as their heads moved from side to side and you stood there dropping ping pong balls into the clown mouths to hit different slots and try and win prizes? Well, the RBD board were sitting up on stage all in a row just like that row of clowns. And when the mention of a 'definite takeover offer' came from the floor at the AGM all of their heads swung from side to side in unison, exactly like those fun fair clowns from all those years ago. For once I believed their body language.

I know that Warren Buffet made quite a bit of money on the side, arising out of arbitrage for takeover deals. But he would only do this once a takeover proposal was definitly announced. He would never speculate on takeover deals that *might* happen. I think that if you choose to invest in a company like RBD the investment needs to stack up irrespective of the prospect of any takeover that might be on the horizon. I am picking no takeover deal until there is some proof that Pizza Hut can be turned around.

SNOOPY

Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

quote:Originally posted by winner69

Snoopy ..... interesting that it comes across that you use the term 'investor' like you would use the term 'owner'

Do you feel like an 'owner' of RBD?
    Owner? More like a frustrated parent who's kid comes back from school every year with the comment 'has potential, could do better' on their school report.

If it would do any good, I wouldn't mind going up to their new open plan headquarters, lining management up in a long line and giving them all a good spanking. I would wait for a board meeting day so that the board wouldn't 'miss out' either and I would bring along my 'Brother Lee Love glove' to make sure I did a good job. But I guess with current legislation that would be my last act as 'RBD Dad' before being frog marched away! I guess I am just frustrated that after a decade of 'sweet talking' management just can't seem to get it right.

quote:
    I see that nearly 100% of the shares in RBD change hands in the last year - would seem to suggest that there are very few 'owners' of RBD - 'owners' used in the context that generally most people 'own' their dog for life.
    Do you have a source for that share turnover figure? I am surprised it is quite as high.

SNOOPY

Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

quote:Originally posted by Snoopy

quote:
    I see that nearly 100% of the shares in RBD change hands in the last year - would seem to suggest that there are very few 'owners' of RBD - 'owners' used in the context that generally most people 'own' their dog for life.
    Do you have a source for that share turnover figure? I am surprised it is quite as high.

SNOOPY

From ASB -- 98.5% it says
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

quote:Originally posted by hiawatha

No need to apologise. You haven't said anything arcane. Dumb perhaps, but not arcane.
    hiawatha

Dumb? Maybe. I'd have chosen supercilious, myself. Come to think of it, supercilious is just another form of dumb.
    Dumb and supercilious?

How can I compete with such even headed rationalism? You've convinced me guys. There is no competition when investing. Well done. First argument I've ever seen in share trader actually change someone's position. How did you do it? I triumph of rational insight. Must be a word that means the opposite of supercilious huh?

Oh Ok, so companies don't compete for our capital either? ...and profits are incidental to the investing process?

...this stuff is gold.

Advanced Member

Hey you dummies if you want to use big words at least learn how to spell them. SUPERCILLIOUS has double LL[:o)][:o)] Thought you would like to know that. Macdunk

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

quote:Originally posted by duncan macgregor

Hey you dummies if you want to use big words at least learn how to spell them. SUPERCILLIOUS has double LL[:o)][:o)] Thought you would like to know that. Macdunk
    Oh no it doesn't
    om mani peme hum

I'm sorry, but you seem to have completely misunderstood my position.
    Deft moment to distance yourself from that argument Tom.

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by Paper Tiger

quote:Originally posted by duncan macgregor

Oh no it doesn't
    I knew someone would look it up on a wet day. GOOGLE has it both ways. So well done PT you are wrong as well, it can be spelt either with one or two LLs. Macdunk