Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
Monty Python -- of course!!

I remember back in 2003 I passed through a new subdivision in outer Sydney, every pillared McMansion perfectly presented complete with shiny 4WDs on polished stone driveways... every couple of hundred metres there was a huge glossy sign on the roadside with a picture of happy perfect people and a single word caption like "PLAY", "RELAX" or "ENJOY". It was truly eye-popping. We couldn't get out of there fast enough, back past the immaculate gates to the outside world where there was at least a little bit of dust and long grass and real people with slight imperfections. My friend had warned me in advance that I would be shocked and she was right!

Please.. if I ever get to retirement age and start to lust after something like this, someone do me a favour and belt me over the head with a spade... really hard...
Hmm. All joking aside; it really is a little disturbing - artificial societies and environs are not sustainable in the broader sense - have a look at what's going on in Dubai now that reality has struck.

I'm in the camp which regard towns and communities as having to exist for real reasons - economic and social. Tinsel and tea with the neighbours only happens because these places defy entropy - - a concept in physics which says that you cant do anything without making a mess - to keep places like this '1950s American Dream' tidy and tickety-boo, then how many slums have to be created to support such a fantasy?

Oh - and as for the spade whacking - could you do similar for me and take me to Dr Lee-Enfield (please aim true, make it clean and quick). On second thoughts - let me join such a community today - - it should only take six months before I'm blackballed and run out of town. It will be a hoot.