sharetrader
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pegasus Town

Minimal damage in Rangiora. Maximum damage in Kaiapoi.
    those plans to develop around Marshlands road should be scrapped

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Any eq damage as far North as Pegasus?
    According to here http://www.pegasustown.com/more-info/pegasus-update, no.

Will be interesting to see what happens to suburb values in CHC from here.

Agree with Airedale re Marshlands (though I've always thought development there to be a bit of a dumb idea). Kaiapoi is interesting, I know several people living there that are fine, yet there is clearly widespread damage to parts of it.

Any eq damage as far North as Pegasus?
    Whilst working with Civil Defence, I spoke with the engineers and they were apparently very impressed with how Pegasus performed. A lot of compacting was performed to remove the likelihood of liquifaction, which appears to have worked. The builings at that stage had only been L1 accessed (visual external) and all green stickered. 2 of the show homes were L2 inspected (detail internal) and passed with no cracks at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cants View Post
    Whilst working with Civil Defence, I spoke with the engineers and they were apparently very impressed with how Pegasus performed. A lot of compacting was performed to remove the likelihood of liquifaction, which appears to have worked. The builings at that stage had only been L1 accessed (visual external) and all green stickered. 2 of the show homes were L2 inspected (detail internal) and passed with no cracks at all.
    2cants - welcome to these forums. Engineers shouldn't be impressed - there was nothing much to be impressed about. Pegasus was some 40kms away from the quake epicentre which damaged as far away as Kaiapoi. You'll see nothing much north of the Waimak River was damaged apart from those parts of Kaipoi - but there wasn't too much surprise there as Kaipoi liquefied in the last big quake around the turn of the century. What Pegasus should be worried about is the 3 faults that lie 10 km away - they aren't big but one of them is still capable of a m6.5 - 7. And of course theres still the M8 expected off the Alpine fault which is only 100km away. I think buyers out at Pegasus can rest assured they won't loose their life in a big quake. But would I put money into a property resting on compacted sand and water - No! And now lets wait to see the consequences of building on compacted land - there are bound to be some. For example try getting grass to grow in some of these new subdivisions. Once the ready lawn roots get past their own soil into the compacted sub soil they have no where to go and so they turn up at the tips and die.

Pegasus has coped well in a high flood year and in a year of a quake. But that was a year when there was very little construction on the surface. Lets revisit the impact of shakes and water once it is a fully built up town. My money says it won't cope so well then - especially if developers skimp on concrete and reo going into the slab foundations. I bet the Inspectors will be keeping a close eye on that from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsie View Post
    Right booked a trip for later this year.
    What is ppl's view on Woodend and Loburn?

thanks
    After a very pleasant bike ride around the Cust --West Ayreton area today, thought I'd post an update for Footsie,and I hope that the quake hasn't discouraged him. Nice spring day,flat roads for cycling, blossoms on the trees, no quake damage in that area. Cust ...nice little village, school,church,pub,general store with petrol pump. 15 minute drive to Rangiora.

Default White Trash

Had a visit the other day. Walked over the $600,000 sections to the Island. My boys loved it - had to strip to their undies while paddling to fit in with the other over weight white trash that was there. The hoodie gang were making full use of the concreted steps around the "marina". There was more built there than I thought there would be. Wandered around the sales office twice, with no interest from the sales team until one popped out for a fag outside. More or less asked what I was doing there - no way to treat someone with enough cash to buy a section or two. Wetlands not as nice as I expected - The wetland area in Christchurch city is much nicer. We went to see the model but it is permanently closed. Christchurch was in fine form - the visible earthquake damage is few and far between. Overall my impression has improved - I'd pay up to $60k now if they build the kids playground and finish the heated pools.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    My boys loved it - had to strip to their undies while paddling to fit in with the other over weight white trash that was there. The hoodie gang were making full use of the concreted steps around the "marina".
    You might have missed the news when the other day some lad was pulled 9/10ths drowned from the lake. It sounds like he was in a bad way and was not far from being the first white cross on the Esplanade.

Legend

Might just be that the earthquake is going to rescue Pegasus from its ghost town look.

Might just be that the earthquake is going to rescue Pegasus from its ghost town look.
    Sure looks like it - perhaps even with Govt purchasing the land as part of transitioning the 10,000 homeless families into something either temporary or permanent. I can just see the Aranui folk flocking to the Pegasus Golf Club! The Esplanade could house the folk from Hampshire Street. But I reckon Wigram (Ngai Tahu) and Delmaine will get a look in first. The Marshlands proposal is probably dead in the water now.

Receivership as Robertson couldn't get anybody to buy the discounted loans

Still a ghost town?