sharetrader
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pegasus Town

Default One flew over the cuckoos nest

Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Monty Python -- of course!!

I remember back in 2003 I passed through a new subdivision in outer Sydney, every pillared McMansion perfectly presented complete with shiny 4WDs on polished stone driveways... every couple of hundred metres there was a huge glossy sign on the roadside with a picture of happy perfect people and a single word caption like "PLAY", "RELAX" or "ENJOY". It was truly eye-popping. We couldn't get out of there fast enough, back past the immaculate gates to the outside world where there was at least a little bit of dust and long grass and real people with slight imperfections. My friend had warned me in advance that I would be shocked and she was right!

Please.. if I ever get to retirement age and start to lust after something like this, someone do me a favour and belt me over the head with a spade... really hard...
    Hmm. All joking aside; it really is a little disturbing - artificial societies and environs are not sustainable in the broader sense - have a look at what's going on in Dubai now that reality has struck.

I'm in the camp which regard towns and communities as having to exist for real reasons - economic and social. Tinsel and tea with the neighbours only happens because these places defy entropy - - a concept in physics which says that you cant do anything without making a mess - to keep places like this '1950s American Dream' tidy and tickety-boo, then how many slums have to be created to support such a fantasy?

Oh - and as for the spade whacking - could you do similar for me and take me to Dr Lee-Enfield (please aim true, make it clean and quick). On second thoughts - let me join such a community today - - it should only take six months before I'm blackballed and run out of town. It will be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Please.. if I ever get to retirement age and start to lust after something like this, someone do me a favour and belt me over the head with a spade... really hard...
    I’m not sure that’s the demographic they are aiming for. More your house and job package person would better suit. You are expected to walk as high volume mobility scooter movements are expressly prohibited by covenants. At least they have the decency to identify the potential of earthquake induced ground liquefaction.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Casa del Energia View Post
    Hmm. All joking aside; it really is a little disturbing - artificial societies and environs are not sustainable in the broader sense - have a look at what's going on in Dubai now that reality has struck.
    What is going on in Dubai now that reality has struck? I was last there in Sept/Oct. when 'reality' was just striking. Nothing seemed to be changing. As far as I know there's still a lot of projects underway, albeit at a slower pace.

Quote Originally Posted by funguspudding View Post
    What is going on in Dubai now that reality has struck? I was last there in Sept/Oct. when 'reality' was just striking. Nothing seemed to be changing. As far as I know there's still a lot of projects underway, albeit at a slower pace.
    I've read a few articles about supposedly "thousands of cars" abandoned by expats at airport parking lots who appear to be returning home like it's the last flight out of Saigon in 75

In regards to Pegasus Town, I just flew over it last week........still empty, and still an absolute eyesore from the air.

On a brighter note, I know of a few people gaining valuable low speed motorcycle experience on their learners licenses driving the empty streets of White Elephant Pegasus Town

Quote Originally Posted by lakedaemonian View Post
    On a brighter note, I know of a few people gaining valuable low speed motorcycle experience on their learners licenses driving the empty streets of White Elephant Pegasus Town
    Ssh – Christchurch boy racers may get an idea!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lakedaemonian View Post
    In regards to Pegasus Town, I just flew over it last week........still empty, and still an absolute eyesore from the air.
    You must have been looking at the wrong site from the air, cos their newspaper advt. described how busy and active Pegasus is and advised buyers to hurry up so as not to miss out.

You must have been looking at the wrong site from the air,
    Perhaps it was the $20m hotel and villa complex being built as part of the Waipara Wine Village

Default surreal

It's apparently all custard now - idle building sites, 50% drop in real estate value and people leaving in a hurry - apparently, if you owe money and can't pay - it means jail time - hence the abandoned cars at airports - leave or end up in the slammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa del Energia View Post
    It's apparently all custard now - idle building sites, 50% drop in real estate value and people leaving in a hurry - apparently, if you owe money and can't pay - it means jail time - hence the abandoned cars at airports - leave or end up in the slammer.
    yep...this is surely to blow over with the sun shining again by next tuesday