sharetrader
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pegasus Town

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Heard on the radio an ad from Stonewood homes. House and land package for $355,000. Average price of sections when Pegasus first went on the market in 2006 was around $220k. I think buyers were anticipating something a bit flasher than $355,000 property sales. See also ab ad for 460 sqm land. Bought for $166k now asking $148k. Its tough out there.
    Amazing.. Went for a cruise out there on Sunday too, but can't ad much more than you've put about the place above. I think the prices are starting to look somewhat attractive to retirees though now (i.e those that don't need to leave the place a lot and can do their shopping at northwood supa centre), but they will certainly never fill out the place and I wonder what infrastructure they will end up with.

For sale signs everywhere, saw a couple at around the $140k mark too. $350k is pretty awesome for house and land, but could never justify a 45min drive each way to town every day, bugger that

this development looks interesting and good value.
    I'm from the North Island. What do you ChCH folk think of pegasus.
    If I was giong to relocate to the North Canty area should i buy here (seems cheap with good facilities) or go to Rangiora or out in the country?

I have a budget of around $750-800kk ,
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

Quote Originally Posted by Footsie View Post
    If I was giong to relocate to the North Canty area should i buy here (seems cheap with good facilities) or go to Rangiora or out in the country?

Footsie, you could buy the best house in Rangiora for that money. You could certainly get something decent in a good part of Rangiora for much less than that.
    If you want to be in a town then Rangiora has a lot going for it,good shopping locally and only about 30 minute drive to Chch.
    If you bought in Pegasus then you would probably still drive to Rangiora for your shopping.
    If you want a lifestyle block then look at Ohoka , or Loburn which are still handy to Chch.

Legend

I'm not from Canterbury, so may be talking through a hole in my head, but I kinda like Oxford, even though I've only ever passed through it. http://www.oxfordnewzealand.co.nz/ It's about the same distance from Ch-ch. If I need straightening out I'm sure someone here will do just that.

I believe if you were to spend that amount in Pegasus you would, over say three years, learn how to create assets worth $500,000.

It really depends where you are at in life and what sort of lifestyle you want.

If you have no kids you'l presumably need to work so Nth Canterbury is a commute and it will only get worse as the area grows and commuters try to get over the Waimak bridge.

If you have kids you then have the issue of commuting an schooling and carting then to regional activities - expect to put a lot of KM's on the car

If you are retired / near retirement access to health facilitates is a reality and outside Rangiora not a lot to support you.

$800k will get you a nice bit of something somewhere

Disc. Done the North Canterbury thing - now back in the city.
    Last edited by minimoke; 25-08-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trackers View Post
    I think the prices are starting to look somewhat attractive to retirees though now (i.e those that don't need to leave the place a lot and can do their shopping at northwood supa centre), but they will certainly never fill out the place and I wonder what infrastructure they will end up with.
    I'm inclined to agree. I think they should replace the Primary School with a health Centre.

Hmm, thanks .
    I have young kids and also a desire to have some land or be near land for horses. Mrs footsie was a competitive rider and wants to get back into it.
    Also sick of the Auckland rat race and if you want a decent 4brm house in AKL its 1m+ and if you want land with 4brm well again its $1m+ and you will be as far north as warkworth before prices decline.
    To get horsey land in Cleveland/Kumeu/Coatsville. its $2m

So with that in mind any more ideas? Perhaps I could be CHCH fringe , near some grazing land? I do need to be reasonably clsoe to schools of course.
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

Hmm, thanks .
    I have young kids .
    There your key!
    Theres a clear choice. Does your wife travel on her own to her horses whenever she likes or
    do you cart the kids to school, pony club/sportsclubs/friends everyday maybe a few times a day.

I've done the "lifestyle" thing - lasted 6 1/2 years which is about 3 1/2 years longer than average. School bus 1km down the drive; 15 km to school if the bus was missed. 18 km round trip to get the sunday paper. I'd recommend it - but it ain't as romantic and easy as you might think. (I've also done the shoveling horse**** in the middle of winter and that aint no fun). Country schools are fantastic (with limitations) but how close is close?

Interesting discussion and some very good advice from MM-thanks. I was interested in lifestyle property too but decided to live well within my means and close to amenities and schools. Turned out to be a good decision.

percy

I think you should look at renting for say a year and use that time to look around.A big turnover in lifestyle blocks.As previous posts, Rangiora has good facilities with good primary schools,but high school does not have a good name.North of the waimak Ohoka,clarkville and Swannanoa have good schools. But coming in and out of ChCH on north road is terrible.Towards the hills or south of waimak there are nice areas such as West Melton,Yaldhurst,Weedons,Templeton,Lincoln,Prebble ton, and halswell,all with very good Primary schools,while Lincoln has a good high school.I should warm you.If realestate agents heard about you, and the money you are looking to spend ,you will not get a moment of peace.You may find you wish to be near a pony club.