sharetrader
Page 1 of 232 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: RAK Rakon

Default RAK Rakon

there was a bit of talk last month about Rakon looking to do an IPO or raise some funds. Has anyone heard any news?
    This could be a great company and the family have done a brillant job in establishing global leadership in a hi tech industry. Would be great to sell them list on the NZX but will probally end up doing a Navman and selling to a big offshore company. I hope not anyway.

apparently there's an IPO out next week, dunno who/what/if

Delegats?
    try underwater salvage... cos its there... somewhere... maybe...

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Previous Rakon IPO thread

Delegats announced today they would IPO shortly.
    om mani peme hum

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10374356
    Fast-growing Rakon bucks trend to go to home market for $10m

Technology company Rakon has decided to buck the trend and stick with the New Zealand Stock Exchange.

The company said yesterday it planned to raise $10 million on the NZX to expand production capacity and develop new products.

The share offer will comprise a selldown by Ahuareka Trustee - as trustee of the Ahuareka Trust representing founder Warren Robinson and family interests - of 35 per cent of the company.

Rakon makes quartz crystals and oscillators used in telecommunications and global positioning systems.

The company, which was formed in 1967 by Robinson in his basement, employs about 500 people at its Auckland headquarters and exports 95 per cent of its production.

Forecast sales this year are $80 million with a trading profit of $14 million. The prediction for 2007 is $100 million and $20 million respectively.

Navman founder Peter Maire, who with his investment partners owns 20 per cent of Rakon, said representatives of the firm had spent a week in the United Kingdom investigating the possibility of joining London's AIM market. The US Nasdaq and Australian ASX markets had also been examined as listing options.

But Maire said the increasing cost of governance in the US after the Enron scandal had made a listing there a generally less attractive option. "It just got tougher and more expensive."
    Disc: JWI, VCT, VCT010

Stainless Steel Rat - slipping between the cracks.

yep heard on the radio last night. They want 10 mill. If I had it they could get the lot from me. Anyway will be looking to get in early on this one. Nice to see them stay at home though I have got Neuren and Brainz also so Aussie is not too bad.

From Rakon's home page...

http://www.rakon.com/whatsnew/displa...&template=news

PRESS RELEASE: RAKON LIMITED: 11:30AM 24TH MARCH 2006.

Rakon Limited has confirmed that it intends to make an initial public offering of shares and listing on the NZSX.

The share offer will comprise a sell down by Ahuareka Trustee Limited (as trustee of the Ahuareka Trust representing Warren Robinson and Robinson Family interests) of 35% of the company and the issue of new shares to raise $10 million. The proceeds from the issue of new shares will be used to expand production capacity and for the development of new products.

The offer will be targeted to institutional investors in New Zealand, Australia and elsewhere, and retail investors who will principally be clients of leading brokers in New Zealand.
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

SSR the whole article is worth posting as it seems to suggest that NZers my go crazy over high-tech or bio-tech IPOs.

Flight of the bright benefits foreigners

By Owen Hembry

BrainZ Instruments is on the verge of cracking the big time. With technology developed by scientists at the University of Auckland's Liggins Institute, the Auckland-based medical technology company has developed bedside monitors to test for brain injuries in newborn babies and young children.

The company hasn't turned a profit but believes it will soon break into a global market it estimates at US$140 million ($227 million) in hardware and US$49 million a year in ongoing contracts.

When the company does make a return from the New Zealand research that has gone into the monitors, much of the profits will go to overseas investors because BrainZ is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.

It is just one of a number of local companies that found when they needed investment to turn their research into a growing business they had to look overseas.

Neuren and Living Cell Technologies have also listed in Australia, Endace has listed in London and Virionyx looks set to list in the United States.

Opinion is divided, however, as to what is driving some of the best and brightest companies overseas and whether this country should be concerned.

The reason for BrainZ listing overseas was simple: Money.

Chief executive and former New Zealand test cricketer Justin Vaughan said the company wanted to tap into a bigger pool of capital "and a more, I suppose, accepting investor base in that they have had BrainZ-like businesses to invest in ... and had some good results out of those".

BrainZ raised A$13 million ($15 million) when it listed on the ASX in December, with New Zealand agri-tech company Tru-Test retaining a 57 per cent stake.

Vaughan said traditionally the New Zealand market had been more focused on yield stocks "and actually the costs associated with going to Australia are just really no greater".

Robin Clements, senior economist at UBS investment bank, said companies listing offshore could affect New Zealand's economic growth.

"For the successes, the capital gains and the income that flows from them goes offshore."

He said the fact that companies chose to list offshore was indicative of a lack of national savings and its knock-on effect into the availability of local venture capital.

Macquarie Equities investment director Arthur Lim said the local market did not provide the support needed by new technology companies.

"If they try to raise the money over here, they will struggle and they will probably not get what they would perceive to be fair value for their potential discoveries."

This is not due to a shortage of local finance.

"There's plenty of money out there," Lim said.

It was more because of a lack of confidence, which the market had brought upon itself. In the past, the market had paid too much for biotech listings, including oral health product manufacturer BLIS Technologies.

"Again the market foolishly priced in all the upside, all the blue sky on day one ... all on the back of some promises," Lim said.

Shares in BLIS were issued at 10c but rocketed to $2.20 before settling at $1.75 on the first day of trading in September 2000. The shares were trading at 13c yesterday.

"It's performances like this that give the biotech sector in New Zealand a bad name."

The market, however, was not alone in lacking confidence, with entrepreneurs keeping one eye out for a buyer.

"If you are a successful biotech or technology company over here and someone offered you a cheque ... the mindset I think is to take the money and run," Lim said.

Peter Maire, founder of navigation technology company Navman, agreed, but said the choice of whether to sell up or soldier on was not simple.

He sold Navman to US marine technology company Brunswick in 2004 for $108 million.

Maire said companies that sold up or floated offshore would lead to profits bein
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by rmbbrave

SSR the whole article is worth posting as it seems to suggest that NZers my go crazy over high-tech or bio-tech IPOs.

The outcome of my one dabble in the NZ bio-tech field - GEN - was enough to scare me off for life! I think the same would be true for many other local investors, who got sucked in by the hype and the big names involved in that sell-off.
    Once bitten, twice shy.

From above Colin,

... despite market scepticism, however, there was one certainty that could be depended on.

"That's the thing about the market, there will always be another generation of fools who will come and embrace the next great thing."