sharetrader
Page 51 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: RAK Rakon

fredsmith

Check out the Rakon website www.rakon.co.nz and you will see pictures of what the Oscillators look like. I suppose the easiest way to make a good guess if a product conatains a Rakon part is to look for the 'R' on the top Oscillator.
    I have no assoctiation with Rakon but have been the the local electronics industry for about 30 years, 26 of those selling electronic components to the local industry. In those days, Rakon was one of my customers.

Good old Google alerts... this from the NBR (note they must be reading share trader

Rakon stays coy on iPhone link
    by Fiona Robertson
    Tuesday July 15 2008 - 03:02pm

Crystal oscillator manufacturer Rakon is still refusing to be pinned down on whether its components are in the new Apple 3G iPhone released last week.

Tech fanatics have already begun tearing apart the new iPhones and posting the results of their destruction online, with one site naming the GPS chip inside the iPhone as an Infineon product.

But that doesn't rule out Rakon's contribution to the iPhone.
    Rakon manufactures oscillating components that are used in GPS devices * so it doesn¹t actually make its own GPS chips.

Rakon marketing manager Justin Maloney said the company's components were compatible with the relevant GPS solutions named online. But he would not elaborate further on whether they were actually used in the iPhone chips, in line with Rakon's 'neither confirm nor deny' policy.

"We respect the right of our clients to keep their secrets, secret," he said. Punters on web forum Sharetrader have also been speculating about Rakon's presence in the iPhone.

You could explain it to me all night but I still will never understand what the f*ck an "oscillator" is, or what it does.

As far as I'm concerned it's a little electro-doovrie thing that makes machines go `ping' or whatever. A bit like worrying about who makes the valves in my car's engine.
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

classic

I knew media and the companies read these sites.....

there is growing evidence around the world that even hedge funds use "plants" on chat sites......

I thought that "fredsmith" person was suspicious.

from my point of view its obvious RAK components are in the iphone.... if you werent in the iphone....then there is nothing to hide so you would deny it.

If you can't confirm or deny something .... that whatever it is ....... is obviously true.

********"We respect the right of our clients to keep their secrets, secret," he said*****

If apple wasnt their client...... then they wouldnt be keeping a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

You mean 'plants' who talk up a stock, like saying someone is supplying the iPhone even though the company is sort of not confirming it :-) - just kidding!

I know a bit about electronics and had a good study of a couple of sites that tore some of the new iPhones apart. Best one was a kiwi site here: http://live.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPhone3G

I looked pretty hard and think I know where the oscillator is for the GPS in the circuit but looks impossible to tell who makes it - at least for me (I was looking for a little shiny thing with an R engraved on the top).

Doesnt make too much difference to me either way, still a Rakon fan despite the hammering they got. I think the new iPhone is great because its a real headline cell phone with GPS built in and even if Rakon aren't supplying it its going to help drive more and more cell phones to have GPS in them too (Google Nokia and GPS to see what they are doing) which has to be good for Rakon, I hope ... anyone know if Nokia is a Rakon customer?

Herbacious

Up 4.7% today on nearly 1.5x average volume, and it's not even 11am yet. Someone's had their weetbix this morning.

Ooh...a double bottom has been confirmed as of yesterday. I'll be waiting for a successful break of $3 to commit to a position, RR not great at the moment.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Advanced Member

Default Update of Chart on page 34.

its definitely a higher low..

looks good
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

Default RAK AGM today

Hey mon
    I think RAK's AGM is on this afternoon. Is anyone taking a punt on a favourable profit guidance announcement? They mentioned at the FY08 result back in May that they will be giving profit guidance at the AGM.

What has happened since the FY08 result announcement?
    1. NZD/USD has fallen to 65.5c
    2. TomTom and Garmin (their two biggest customers) announced ok 2Q results and TomTom maintained their FY volume growth guidance of 50+%.
    3. They've announced their Chinese manufacturing plans.
    4. Market sentiment remains poor.

From memory, the company have indicated that a 1 cent movement in the NZD/USD impacts EBITDA by nearly $1.5m. They achieved FY08 EBITDA of $23.4m (excl one-offs) at an avg exchange rate of 76c (as stated in their annual rpt). So assume the x-rate averages 66c in FY09 and ignoring volume/price factors, then EBITDA this year should be close to $40m. Taking off say $10m depn, $1m int, and $9m tax gets NPAT of close to $20m or a PE of 18.2x at $2.85.

Has anyone got any negative news or hesitations about RAK?