sharetrader
Page 9 of 234 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: RAK Rakon

paper tiger....are fisher doing the same to SOE?

oo rmb posted it, oops ill check the previous page next time

quote:Originally posted by bushbasher

Interesting to see how market reacts. I don't think it is a surprise that Rakon supplied military contractors given it is a global market leader in its field and so much "Smart weapons" technology must include some form of GPS. Understandably Rakon would not have been keen to shout this from the rooftops. I think a potential concern is security - how this info came out the way it did - and my concern would be if this potentially affected its relationship with key customers like Rockwell.
    There'll be heads on the line over this, thats for damn sure. Some manager's got pissy and spilt the beans...

quote:
    There'll be heads on the line over this, thats for damn sure. Some manager's got pissy and spilt the beans...
    I don't have a definitive source that I recollect this from, but I'm pretty sure that this is ancient news, and one that has been doing the rounds for an eternity or 3 before the mainstream media notice...
    But there could be some impact for those outside the loop.
    It would be a bit like a feature on google and privacy...

Cant see Clark doing anything...after todays poll she will huffing and puffing but she wont blow Rankons candle out...she will be pissed though no dout about that.....Rankon will probably take a hit...the Greens wont let this go though

Banned

I do not really see the bid deal, missiles need TCXO or similar that will work at high vibrations/g forces to run what ever processor inside the missile. same TCXO in lower spec package maybe used in your egg beater or similar.

I haven’t heard back from rakon about the job I applied, perhaps I should ring them up rather than ringing up Radford.

The Rakon files: Parts don't need export okay, says PM

Monday May 29, 2006
    By Phil Taylor

Star technology firm Rakon's crystals and oscillators which are used in smart weapons' navigation systems do not require export permits "at the moment", says the Prime Minister.

"As far as we can ascertain, Rakon's oscillators and crystals are not on the internationally agreed list of controlled goods and therefore do not require export permits," a spokesman for Helen Clark said yesterday.

"This is a list that is compiled by member countries signed up to the export control regimes of which New Zealand is a member.

"These lists aren't static, they are added and deleted as technology changes and things develop, but as far as we can ascertain these oscillators and crystals have a wide range of potential uses in communication and navigation technology and they are not on any list of controlled goods. "That's where the Government's position is at the moment."

The Weekend Herald reported that despite claiming last August not to know the end use of its products, Rakon has knowingly provided a key component of smart bombs for the past 10 years, is developing a component of a product for the US nuclear defence programme, and one which turns dumb shells into smart shells.

The report disclosed that Rakon, which last year won the New Zealand Trade and Enterprise supreme award for exports, had not been upfront at times in the past with clients over complaints of faults with products.

JDAM smart bombs used in the war in Iraq have almost certainly contained key Rakon components.

The Government is opposed to the war, which the Prime Minister has described as "wrong".

Although export regulations don't specifically identify crystals and oscillators as products that must be vetted before being sent overseas, there are sections which appear to deal with goods for guidance systems.

These mention goods that can be used in "the handling, control ... of bombs, torpedoes, rockets [and] missiles ... target acquisition, designation, range-finding, surveillance or tracking systems ... guidance and navigation for [naval] military use" as exports that may be restricted.

Green MP Keith Locke said the issue could have been sorted out when it arose last August if the Ministries of Economic Development and Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Security Intelligence Service, which talks about its "role in stopping New Zealanders being involved in anything connected with nuclear weapons", had investigated.

"It seems all these agencies were so bedazzled by Rakon's export success they were reluctant to investigate properly then and ask hard questions."

RAKON REPLIES

Statement issued by Rakon Limited, May 27, 2006:

In response to coverage in the New Zealand Herald, May 27:

There is no hidden story. Rakon has fully disclosed the use of its products for military and aerospace applications in its recently published offer document.

We are disappointed and surprised that the Herald did not contact Rakon to verify any of the details in its article.

Rakon is proud of the quality of its products and the consistently superior quality ratings achieved across its broad customer base.

None of our products are being designed or manufactured for use in nuclear weapons.

Rakon has not invented technology specifically for US smart bombs. Although the military and aerospace industry is an important market for Rakon, it comprises less than 4% of Rakon's output by unit volume.

We are disappointed that the Herald has taken internal emails and distorted them out of context to sensationalise them.

- Brent Robinson, managing director, Rakon Ltd

\"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

So Rakon make a statement and the Herald replies.
    Perhaps they should both sign up for ShareTrader and fight it out here.
    I certainly believe that the Herald is being rather immature now.
    om mani peme hum

Looks like the market's giving a big yawn to the Herald story. Perhaps investors waking up to the huge potential growth market represented by US military procurement.