sharetrader
Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast

Thread: EUR.USD

Butterfly hunters!
    Is this a giant butterfly forming on the July 08 - October 09 EUR/USD daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilo View Post
    Butterfly hunters!
    Is this a giant butterfly forming on the July 08 - October 09 EUR/USD daily?
    Hi Bilo

Presume you mean that is legs is X-A-B ?

Maybe also look a bit nearer and there could be a BAT or BF if it extends.

Oct(Nov)-Dec-Jan-Feb = XABCD

If we take this view of a bullish butterfly shown in the chart of Novellus below then (at the moment) we are missing b-c and going straight from C-D but so far it is has met the fibs of a 61.8% retracement of the leg from mid July 1.61 ish down to 1.23 and has also done a 78% retracement of the leg from 1.23 - 1.48 and hence so far is in line perfectly with only the last week not exactly playing the tune to the textbook.

in my chart I've drawn in dotted orange how the butterfly might look. ab projects 1.618% at 1.16 and BC projects 1.27% at 1.17 so around there would be the PTZ and the buy zone I suppose. Someone check my maths.

Also note ananda77 that technically speaking the theory only suggests the final point D as a valid buy signal and until then the pattern hasnt played out although other patterns have eg arco's bat. I'm not sure if a butterfly can survive the onslaught of a bat
    Last edited by peat; 19-02-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: I've changed the type of projections I've calculated and now set 1.16-17 at the PTZ

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    If we take this view of a bullish butterfly shown in the chart of Novellus below then (at the moment) we are missing b-c and going straight from C-D but so far it is has met the fibs of a 61.8% retracement of the leg from mid July 1.61 ish down to 1.23 and has also done a 78% retracement of the leg from 1.23 - 1.48 and hence so far is in line perfectly with only the last week not exactly playing the tune to the textbook.

in my chart I've drawn in dotted orange how the butterfly might look. needs to go to 1.43 and then 1.2
    ...looks like a good opportunity to go EURO long with a close above ~127 (+); target ~147

Kind Regards
    Last edited by ananda77; 19-02-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Hi Peat

If we get a turn now, the BAT is still a possibility
    when the X is taken from the lower point circa 28/10.

(Here's the old chart, and if we take the lower point the
    886 is still pretty close to the current price)

rgds - arco

I've updated my original post with different projections and comments on posts that came afterwards.

But no I do not have prescience
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by arco View Post
    Hi Bilo

Presume you mean that is legs is X-A-B ?
    Aye
    I meant X-A-B but I notice that USD/JPY and EUR/JPY are similar.
    For Peat in my minds eye I expected to extend the D leg down to ~1.25 EUR/USD.
    The most dramatic therefore is EUR/JPY....with up to 50% potential retracement?

noticed a three drives pattern down since 21:00 NZT last night and then a bullish gartley so laid into it with a very large trade for me (and a smaller one for the bigger pattern) and it came through pretty quick.
    the most certain part of the gartley is the bit from 78% retracment back to the 38%
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    noticed a three drives pattern down since 21:00 NZT last night and then a bullish gartley so laid into it with a very large trade for me (and a smaller one for the bigger pattern) and it came through pretty quick.
    the most certain part of the gartley is the bit from 78% retracment back to the 38%
    I got the Euro in the opposite direction - it triggered overnight and hit my TP +60 sometime as I dozed completely unaware.

i reckon there is some serious overhead resisitance on euro at 1.39
    ? shaping upfor a short