sharetrader
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    This seems to be the era of the boring property investor who slowly acquires investment property [saving-saving -saving]and makes sure a large percentage of the value is payed of Its not high flyer,get rich quick,but we are still standing.
    Its alot harder to do nowadays...but im glad now I did it that way when i could.
    Agree. I did it the same way. Although my original plan was to keep expanding, I had a change of heart and paid off all mortgages when I realised how pointless it is to keep earning money that you couldn't send in a thousand years. Dropped all residential stuff, kept commercial properties - unencumbered. My philosophy nowadays is, once you've acheived a good income and lifestyle with minimal input - why take a risk?

Guru

i agree 100% Ive done the same thing with residential and most years we go to a third world country because we not only love to travel,but it puts us back in touch with why we dont need the extravagance that some aspire to

Legend

i agree 100% Ive done the same thing with residential and most years we go to a third world country because we not only love to travel,but it puts us back in touch with why we dont need the extravagance that some aspire to

Don't miss the first world ones either.. I don't mean abandon earning altogether.Just when income gets ridiculously high. 100k is not enough - but 200k probably is for most, sort of thing.

Guru

We visit some of the first world countries as well.[my wifes from Montreal]
    My point was that I think its good to be reminded how fortunate we are to have been born into such a prosperous part of the world and that perhaps in the not to distant future we may have to learn how to live on much less than we take for granted at this time.
    Having said that,some of the less fortunate countries in economic terms are rich in other ways-they are less regulated and tend to have strong family bonds.

Legend

We visit some of the first world countries as well.[my wifes from Montreal]
    My point was that I think its good to be reminded how fortunate we are to have been born into such a prosperous part of the world and that perhaps in the not to distant future we may have to learn how to live on much less than we take for granted at this time.
    Having said that,some of the less fortunate countries in economic terms are rich in other ways-they are less regulated and tend to have strong family bonds.
    True. I've often noticed in some places, borneo is a close example, the locals have no possesions of any value at all, yet wear a grin from ear to ear - all day long. It's certainly not universal though - some places they'll slit your throat cos you've got a wrist watch and they haven't; and they can't even tell the time.

Guru

yes,Its certainly not universal.
    Ive often wondered what that majic ingredient is that makes the difference.
    Im sure its very complicated,but id love to be able to bottle it.
    We havent been out of the airport in Borneo[might check it out sometime] but last trip,we loved the people in Cambodia.

Guru

i havent found what you say to be the case.Smiles aside,we have found that the people interact very differently in the countries we have visited and Im sure there are many reasons for this.
    A sociologist could probibly do a major study on this.
    i used to sit in a hidden part of the street and observe life in India simply because i needed a break from the constant input.It was ''in your face''pretty much all the time.
    But Southeast Asia ,especially Cambodia was completely different.
    They seem realitively happy in general,with or without us.[no offence to India intended]
    I remember being surprised with their dark history{Kymer Rouge]
    Im sure that us being in the mix,does often make a difference,as you say,but I think there are major differences between peoples nature according to the country they live in.
    But aside from all this-my point was that its easy to lose track of how good we actually have it in our respective western countries,economically,until you get out and experience life in some of the less fortunate counties.

Guru

I should add that we get well out of the major tourist areas[often out on motorbikes] which makes a big difference in terms of interaction with the people. Example: I almost always find the Thai people exceptionally friendly,but last year it was most convenient to fly into Phuket so we went in for a few days to have a look OMG! [I coudnt get out fast enough][sorry to those that love Phuket].
    but once we got out in more remote areas[or even a little less touristic] AHHH! -thats better
    Last edited by skid; 01-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.

NZ can now be divided in 2 areas growth -Auckland and Christchurch and non growth really the rest of the country. I am seriously looking at selling my properties in Rotorua, stagnant pop growth and find something in Auckland. It is interesting how investors from auckland buy say in rotorua. I know the yield is better in property you make the money from capital gain. if there is none it is a waste of time. Maintenance is always underestimated.

central auckland is the area you should look for.., for captial gains