sharetrader
Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

On the other hand, the N.Z. dollar has now come back a fair bit making imports more expensive, customers now face higher mortgage rates and the economy is being impacted by a massive slide in Dairy prices.
    That and the relentless increase in online trading, is this as good as it gets and are they expensive on a PE basis for a retailer ????? I was in one of their stores last week and walked out underwhelmed and gobsmacked at the price they wanted for a 2 pack of genuine Oral B toothbrush heads ($27.95). They didn't have a four pack which my wife usually gets at the supermarket for the same price. I walked out in disgust as a matter of principle..these things are probably made under licence in China for 2 or 3 cents each.
    Came home, jumped on Trade me and ordered a 2 x 4 packs of the generic copy toothbrush heads for $6 including delivery. 75 cents per toothbrush head instead of $14.00.
    To add insult to injury I was in Harvey Norman later in the week and noticed four packs of genuine Oral B toothbrush heads for $17.95 which appeared to be their regular price.
    And just to prove that's not an anomoly here's Noel Leemings price for the identical product
    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/ho...prod99541.html
    Makes me wonder if all those Briscoes sales they have every 2 minutes are nothing but a great big price CON because even at 30% off you're paying through the nose and then some. I wonder if BGR is code or acronym for Burglar ?
    Next time I want anything in the way of product lines that Briscoes sells I'm going straight on Trade Me, saving time, money and petrol
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-09-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Roger - you obviously not a retailer (of note). Rod has it in his veins - a born and bred retailer

For all his sales Rod makes a 40% margin - mind you his cost of doing business is 32% of sales which only leaves him 5% after tax so he has to cream it on some items eh.

Rod unlike some retailers knows instinctively that if you buy lots of things for a buck each you need to sell them all at an average of $1,67 or else you go broke .... and iyo get there you sell x at $2.50 and y at $2.00 and the rest during the sale at $1.25

Probably doesn't even use a calculator - just like darts players seem to know that 3*19 plus 2*16 plus 2*15 is 50 is 119 in an instant. Pure mathematical geniuses until they go shopping and they don't know that 1 margarine at $2.62 and bottle milk at $3.99 is $6.61

Rod is usually so laid back and hardly ever gets excited about things but heck he has taken some happy pills lately and is full of it. The future is bright as

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player/20148458

Briscoes been selling some Royal Doulton and Wedgewood stuff for a while. Apparently for some of the products (tableware) Briscoes are one of top resellers in th world. So mpressed were were Wedgewood they approached Rod and want to do heaps more business with him.

Jeez Wedgewood and Royal Doulton in Briscoes .....real step up in class eh.

Folklore has it when asked what impact on the likes of Kirkcaldies Rod said they will just have to lower their prices eh .....and increase their losses

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Briscoes been selling some Royal Doulton and Wedgewood stuff for a while. Apparently for some of the products (tableware) Briscoes are one of top resellers in th world. So mpressed were were Wedgewood they approached Rod and want to do heaps more business with him.

Jeez Wedgewood and Royal Doulton in Briscoes .....real step up in class eh.

Folklore has it when asked what impact on the likes of Kirkcaldies Rod said they will just have to lower their prices eh .....and increase their losses
    I noted they intend to spend more on their on line presentation,as their on line business has certainly grown with the help of www.estaronline.com.
    Wedgewood and Royal Doulton on line could become even cheaper??

More of the same announced today. Here is part of Rod's commentary:
    "As we begin the crucial final quarter we remain optimistic in our outlook. We are certainly encouraged by our performance to date and are confident that the Group's full year tax paid profit will easily exceed last year's tax paid profit result of $33.58 million."

Banned

"More of the same announced today."

Exactly.. it's no surprise when BGR surprises the market.

BGR did well when other retailers struggled, and now retail seems to be recovering.
    Now there's a best of breed stock.

Encouraging too that there was no price increase (info leak) before this announcement.

Have upgraded to 12% pa long term div growth - $4.01 fair value.

"Easily exceed" - my guess is a 25% plus improvement in FY 15 profit and div.

Banned

Serious question. Is Briscoes ever NOT on sale? I'm not complaining that's for sure!

Tuesday to Thursdays I think unless there is a public holiday just before or during those days BFG!

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Serious question. Is Briscoes ever NOT on sale? I'm not complaining that's for sure!
    I'm complaining. My wife is always saying..."look what I got, it was 30% off...." No amount of yammering on my part will convince her that that is the real price and no money has been saved.