sharetrader
Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emearg View Post
    Back over four bucks today...is that you Bull?

5% gain in one day is pretty rare for this stock.

And yes, Rod sounding upbeat is unheard of in my almost twenty years of owning Briscoes stock.
    i didnt even know rod had done a talk so thanks to porknpuha for bringing the interview to everyones attention and no its not me buying i already own a few
    one step ahead of the herd

I'm up nearly 12% since I got in last week so been a very tidy little earner. Thanks to Bull for mentioning the breakouts a few pages back. Planning on an exit just below $4.20 if it heads that way next week. Will be interesting to see how many get on board before ex div
    Two roads diverged in a narrow wood...

Anybody knows why BRG annual report ended period is for 26 Jan 2020, rather than 31 Mar 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglizard View Post
    Anybody knows why BRG annual report ended period is for 26 Jan 2020, rather than 31 Mar 2020?

Many retailers have periods ending ending January ....sort of ties In with seasonality, like all of christmas/New Year period and then July post winter peak.

Briscoes also do a 52 week reporting period (comparative periods equal) ending on a Sunday. Hence an ‘odd’ looking date this year of Jan 26th

From their AR -

Reporting period
    These consolidated financial statements are in respect of the 52 week period 28 January 2019 to 26 January 2020 and provide a balance sheet as at 26 January 2020. The comparative period is in respect of the 52 week period 29 January 2018 to 27 January 2019. The Group operates on a weekly trading and reporting cycle resulting in 52 weeks for most years with a 53 week period occurring once every 5-6 years.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Many retailers have periods ending ending January ....sort of ties In with seasonality, like all of christmas/New Year period and then July post winter peak.

Briscoes also do a 52 week reporting period (comparative periods equal) ending on a Sunday. Hence an ‘odd’ looking date this year of Jan 26th

From their AR -

Reporting period
    These consolidated financial statements are in respect of the 52 week period 28 January 2019 to 26 January 2020 and provide a balance sheet as at 26 January 2020. The comparative period is in respect of the 52 week period 29 January 2018 to 27 January 2019. The Group operates on a weekly trading and reporting cycle resulting in 52 weeks for most years with a 53 week period occurring once every 5-6 years.

Thanks, I tried to figure out something in section 4.1. However, the backdoor has been hidden by them....

Nick Mowbray on the case of Briscoe’s and other large employers who have claimed the Government COVID-19 wage subsidy but still reporting large profits:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/progr...g-wage-subsidy

Businesses like Briscoe’s need to act appropriately or run the risk damaging their social licence. I note Rod Duke is quoted by Radio New Zealand as declining to comment. Will be interested to see if Mowbray’s call gains momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Lad View Post
    Nick Mowbray on the case of Briscoe’s and other large employers who have claimed the Government COVID-19 wage subsidy but still reporting large profits:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/progr...g-wage-subsidy

Businesses like Briscoe’s need to act appropriately or run the risk damaging their social licence. I note Rod Duke is quoted by Radio New Zealand as declining to comment. Will be interested to see if Mowbray’s call gains momentum.
    Mixed feelings on this. If they played by the "rules" then it becomes a moral rather than a compliance issue. There's something to be said for the confidence that the wage subsidy provided to large employers to keep all their staff on board and not reduce their wages - which ultimately means fewer people claiming benefits and continuing income tax for the government. Realise it's a very complex issue though.

Briscoe 2020 annual reported for period ended 26th of Jan 2020, the wage subsidies kicked in after that. The 2020 EPS does not reflect the situation, right? If Rod mentions this, investors may think about 2021 FY EPS, cause price fluctuation. I hope that is the reason, he refused to refund and kept quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ramjet View Post
    I'm up nearly 12% since I got in last week so been a very tidy little earner. Thanks to Bull for mentioning the breakouts a few pages back. Planning on an exit just below $4.20 if it heads that way next week. Will be interesting to see how many get on board before ex div
    did you get your 4.20 traded around that price for 2 days
    one step ahead of the herd

I was hoping Rod would take them out at $4.20 /s
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....