sharetrader
Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

I am wondering whether to sell or not as they have not gone anywhere sp wise for a while - a bit up then drift down again - have MHI as the other retail stock I hold -may hold on until the next results come out and sell into the rally!!

Retail stuffed in NZ ..... Briscoes don't say so

That is a very good announcement today ..... 10% same stores sales and increased profit .... evn though margins are bit 'strained'

And one needs a 5 year chart to see that over 150 is pretty good .... for BGR

Hope Rod doesn't waste his cash pile on Dick Smiths

Share Collector

I thought sales revenue better than expected, but NPAT in line with where I'd put my peg earlier in the year. So, as you say, margins a bit strained.

A really solid business and hopefully it can give investors a bit of a run here... my longer-term concern was whether product costs likely to increase via forex and whether margin can be maintained, particularly as products in their categories seem fair game for internet sales (even if BGR are competing in the on-line market too).

Advanced Member

No matter how many 60% + sales they have over the next three months..

NZ public are over it... Retail will decline ..

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    No matter how many 60% + sales they have over the next three months..

NZ public are over it... Retail will decline ..
    I don't agree.

People still want to buy stuff and people still need to buy stuff. People are over buying cheap crap at the Warehouse that fails two days after the warranty expires, and most can't afford the best so Briscoes is in the middle which seems to be a pretty good place to be. And people love to feel like they are getting a good price which the silly sale thing achieves.

Pretty please Rod...don't buy DSE.

Veteran novice

I very much doubt that Rod Duke would be interested in DSE. He's much too savvy to fall for that one; has been very carefull with BGR's cash pile for many years; and has already dismissed the DSE idea, hasn't he?

Advanced Member

By retail will decline.. I am saying that overall retail will decline..

Come March with Taxes .. and pressing credit card repayments.. High NZ Dollar.. Greece etc.. We are in for a decline.. Not a bust.. IMHO..

percy

From what I hear retail has slowed down since Xmas.Another long hard year ahead.?
    Be interested to hear how BRG online sales are progressing.? I note SCY [Smiths City] have decided to put more effort into on line ,since their L.V.Martin owned company have enjoyed very good on line sales.Smiths' massive warehouse for distribution of all Smiths stores could easily handle on line orders.
    Rod Duke has done well to keep his war chest intact,and I think he is having a bit of a laugh by saying "never say never"to DSE rumour.He is an Australian after all.!!!!!!!!
    "May we live in interesting times"!!!!!
    Last edited by percy; 02-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Advanced Member

Hey Percy.. We may have many Chinese here now.. We certainly do not want Chinese curses..

percy

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Hey Percy.. We may have many Chinese here now.. We certainly do not want Chinese curses..
    I think the Chinese curse sums up retail at present.!!!!!!
    I also seem to remember there was a tie up between Gerry Harvey and Rod Duke.?
    Anyone buying into DSE would need to be part of a huge buying group.ie Westfarmers [Bunnings,Coles ] ,Harvey Norman,NAFTA [JB HI FI/Smiths City].Metcash[Mitre 10].So not many players.
    Nafta,sorry if I have the name of this big Aussie/NZ buying group wrong.
    Last edited by percy; 03-02-2012 at 08:27 AM.