sharetrader
Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
    Guru

If I'd been in lockdown forever and finally got to go to the shops, then the first place I'd go wouldn't be Briscoes.

Each to their own........

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    If I'd been in lockdown forever and finally got to go to the shops, then the first place I'd go wouldn't be Briscoes.

Each to their own........
    Depends how desparately you need that new frying pan - or whatever.

Investor

Looks like breakout to $7 is on the cards...

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    pb tech would be a great buy , opp to expand all thru NZ to fill the gap left by dick smith
    Did anything ever come of BGP talking aobut acquiring another business? Either I missed something - or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBeer View Post
    Did anything ever come of BGP talking aobut acquiring another business? Either I missed something - or nothing.
    we wait with baited breath for next year , isnt that saying the longer it takes the bigger it is
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBeer View Post
    Both Warehouse & Briscoes hungry for a big acquisition - good time to be a retail operator with a possibility of two big fish hungry to acquire you.

Fascinating to me at least to consider what sort of business both of these firms might be looking into acquiring, and whether they are biding their time pending the outcome of the commerce commission review of the Supermarket Duopoly. If ComCom decides the big two need to divest and/or allow others to access their supply chain, then that would be a big opening for many large players.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Fascinating to me at least to consider what sort of business both of these firms might be looking into acquiring, and whether they are biding their time pending the outcome of the commerce commission review of the Supermarket Duopoly. If ComCom decides the big two need to divest and/or allow others to access their supply chain, then that would be a big opening for many large players.
    Likely to be a disaster move for them to get into the supermarket game. Low margin with a logistics nightmare. The is a reason why Aldi hasn't started here.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by DazRaz View Post
    Likely to be a disaster move for them to get into the supermarket game. Low margin with a logistics nightmare. The is a reason why Aldi hasn't started here.
    Woolworths (who countdown are a part of) has 30% gross margins. The reason Aldi hasn’t entered NZ is due to the exact reasons the ComCom are doing their review of Countdwon and Foodstuffs: Anti-competitive behavior by a duopoly. Aldi cant open here because any of NZs food suppliers that currently supply Countdown and/or Foodstuffs have been repeatedly threatened with bad outcomes if they dare to trade with a new entrant.

Woolworths (who countdown are a part of) has 30% gross margins. The reason Aldi hasn’t entered NZ is due to the exact reasons the ComCom are doing their review of Countdwon and Foodstuffs: Anti-competitive behavior by a duopoly. Aldi cant open here because any of NZs food suppliers that currently supply Countdown and/or Foodstuffs have been repeatedly threatened with bad outcomes if they dare to trade with a new entrant.

Woolworth NZ GM is 25% of sales - with distribution and store costs etc being 21% of sales it has to be relatively high eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Not likely. Aldi know they can't do it with the low margins. The inquiry has mis calculated the margins. Think of here in the South Island with the distances, roads and volume. How does another player make it work? And then expect it will make it cheaper for consumers and pay suppliers more. How will that work? Still this government doesn't want to listen and will push on regardless.

Still, Costco is coming and that will hurt a few different companies.