sharetrader
Page 70 of 107 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Well my friend I know BRM and it's two siblings VERY well. Bought BRM at IPO in 2006...14 yrs ago at $1. Current nta around 57c...and about to fall further in a week?..I recall you joined the BRM team last Nov. To keep ahead you've had exercise multiple issues of diluting warrants and reinvest all the divvies to give effect to the famous TSR.
    But not quite. Skipping the DRP last dec I took the usual 'capital return' aka divy and bought them at 46c a week or two back. You'll get wise in time too.

For a bit more on this, see an interview with Robbie Urquhart who manages the Australian share portfolios, posted 7 April (Banks, property & Australia - chatting to Australian Portfolio Manager Robbie Urquhart)

The interviewer (Frank Jasper, Fisher Funds CIO) specifically asks about the increased position in AU banks at the 5:00 minute mark.

They also talk about an increase in REA at the 10:00 minute mark.

Veteran novice

Thanks, PP, an interesting interview. I have taken the liberty of referring your post to readers of the Bank Stocks thread.

yes it was a good interview

looking at all the banks charts there is great similarity with the falls occurring during March but not reaching the bottom (so far?) until later in the month.
    So if they bought Mid march then they will still be underwater on those. So they did jump the gun a bit probably. He explained their reasoning in the video and it was acceptable.
    Very young but spoke well
    Did anyone notice he was very very recently appointed to the role. It would appear having faith in management at this point is true faith.

I'm tempted to start off with Barramundi with my Aussie portfolio (starting soon) but that would kind of defeat the purpose of building a portfolio. I guess I could use it to smooth out my returns and keep me close to the index.
    But that said if Aussie dollar keeps going up I may decide to bring it all back!
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

BRM under Jasper in the early days put it's focus on small cap growth punts. It didn't work out so more recent gurus have gone main stream on cos that make money. Like banks. But this is not without risks. Ive owned ANZ of and on for years. Bailed at $29 3 yrs ago. In recent times ANZ share price has sagged after each divy announcement, pre xdiv and never recovered. Theoretically it should be cheaper soon based on history?. Hence my observation.

Oh and just a point on Pennypickers appraisal of fund manager vids..maybe also worth watching Jonathan Windust of Milford explaining why they OFF loaded Au banks in March. Believe what makes you feel good I guess.
    I don't hold Milford but have often thought I should.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    yes it was a good interview

looking at all the banks charts there is great similarity with the falls occurring during March but not reaching the bottom (so far?) until later in the month.
    So if they bought Mid march then they will still be underwater on those. So they did jump the gun a bit probably. He explained their reasoning in the video and it was acceptable.
    Very young but spoke well
    Did anyone notice he was very very recently appointed to the role. It would appear having faith in management at this point is true faith.

I'm tempted to start off with Barramundi with my Aussie portfolio (starting soon) but that would kind of defeat the purpose of building a portfolio. I guess I could use it to smooth out my returns and keep me close to the index.
    But that said if Aussie dollar keeps going up I may decide to bring it all back!
    He spoke quite well at the BRM annual meeting last year mate. I think adding banks is a "brave" call and I am not sure its the right one. For what its worth the ASX has not bounced anywhere near as hard off its March 2020 lows as our one and I think it represents much better value and more correctly prices the Covid 19 risks than the NZX. That said I continue to be extremely cautious with how the markets per se are currently pricing the economic fallout of Covid 19.

The thing to be careful about with these funds, (including Marlin and Kingfish), which was explained at the last annual meeting, is they have no mandate to make calls on holding significant level's of cash and they will be more or less fully invested at all times. They made it clear they leave the decision on what cash holdings investors should have in their portfolio to individual investors.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12328577

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...day+1+May+2020
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-05-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    He spoke quite well at the BRM annual meeting last year mate. I think adding banks is a "brave" call and I am not sure its the right one. For what its worth the ASX has not bounced anywhere near as hard off its March 2020 lows as our one and I think it represents much better value and more correctly prices the Covid 19 risks than the NZX. That said I continue to be extremely cautious with how the markets per se are currently pricing the economic fallout of Covid 19.

The thing to be careful about with these funds, (including Marlin and Kingfish), which was explained at the last annual meeting, is they have no mandate to make calls on holding significant level's of cash and they will be more or less fully invested at all times. They made it clear they leave the decision on what cash holdings investors should have in their portfolio to individual investors.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12328577

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...day+1+May+2020
    Looks like they got the call right with the Aussie banks - not priced into the BRM share price yet thou I'd say. Look forward to the weekly update on this 😊

Quote Originally Posted by dabsman View Post
    Looks like they got the call right with the Aussie banks - not priced into the BRM share price yet thou I'd say. Look forward to the weekly update on this ��
    Funny you bring this up. I bought some this morning as a reliable dividend payer. I think they will do a warrant issue in the next few months.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I bought more too - divvy date coming