sharetrader
Page 32 of 106 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Ok, thanks. Index funds based on top 20, middle 30 or whatever dont really strike me as being the way i like to do things. Its the "averaging" aspect that I dislike. Any high performers will be countered by the dudds so it would seem that you are left with an "average" performance. My goal is to look for above average returns that dont wander into the speculative category. BRM does the research, puts their collective necks and our funds on the line and cherry picks. As I mentioned BRM is returning 9.6% for me due to some canny(lucky) buying by me at low prices so when I do the math its a hard one to beat for my dividend oriented portfolio. Also of course the dividends are fully imputed. I have been looking to buy more but it hasnt approached my average cost for months. Seems to hit resistance at 61. Every now and then after a dividend it can make a dip. There is a large queue of buyers waiting as well. Something like 300,000 shares wanted made up of 20-30 buyers. BRM regularly buys as well which seems to keep the price up. Would be interesting? to see what happened to the share price if they stopped buying however. Re your Google research..has to be taken with a grain of salt because they dont factor in individuals cost prices. Someone who holds at .75 will be less content than someone who holds at .61 for example
    What a brilliant investment - 39% down - but Carmel Fisher wins, hands down.

I'm truly sorry that your investment is down 39% with BRM. If its any consolation I have some shares that are down to...namely GFF and SKA. But isnt that the nature of the share market? It would be unreasonable to expect that every decision we make is the correct one. We make our decisions based on the available information we have at the time in question. However its our decision...no-one forced us. This is why its so important to have a diversified portfolio. So you bought BRM at the wrong time...but others you purchased maybe at the right time. Time has a habit od blurring out the hard edges. I was looking at the opening post on TUA yesterday by Phaedrus..who most people seem to think is the resurrected Jesus. Baically he was saying its rubbish and downward death spiral etc.etc. And now is at 1.75 and has superb dividends. So go figure. As Kath and KIm would say....Look at moiii...one word for you....diversify. I'm sorry you blame Carmel however..thats not fair as I said before. I doubt very much whether she intended to cause harm but we all (including the experts) make mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    What a brilliant investment - 39% down - but Carmel Fisher wins, hands down.

I'm truly sorry that your investment is down 39% with BRM. If its any consolation I have some shares that are down to...namely GFF and SKA. But isnt that the nature of the share market? It would be unreasonable to expect that every decision we make is the correct one. We make our decisions based on the available information we have at the time in question. However its our decision...no-one forced us. This is why its so important to have a diversified portfolio. So you bought BRM at the wrong time...but others you purchased maybe at the right time. Time has a habit od blurring out the hard edges. I was looking at the opening post on TUA yesterday by Phaedrus..who most people seem to think is the resurrected Jesus. Baically he was saying its rubbish and downward death spiral etc.etc. And now is at 1.75 and has superb dividends. So go figure. Austs Kath and KIm would say....Look at moiii...one word for you....diversify. I'm sorry you blame Carmel however..thats not fair as I said before. I doubt very much whether she intended to cause harm but we all (including the experts) make mistakes.
    Ask Carmel about her management of Prudential Emerging Companies Trust.

Last NTA update - 76.83 cps on 13 Sep.
    Sp was 62 cents = 19% discount.

Market is not dumb and is telling you something profound.

The decent thing to do is wind this fund up and return the full 76.83 cents back to unit holders but she will not do that and there is nothing to compel her to do that.

Just a lot of small time retail investors without clout to force her to perform or to return the funds.

What Carmel Fisher is doing is cleverly dragging the life-span of this miserable lousy performing fund out - so that she can maximized her fees year on year until she has bled the last cent out of it into her Gucci Italian silk-lined pockets as she tucks into the caviar and cries softly into her champagne, sitting on the balcony of the 6 star hotel overlooking the Eiffel Tower.

Throw a few crumbs to the pathetic peasants and they should consider themselves lucky they are even getting the crumbs.

https://www.nzx.com/companies/BRM/announcements/239120

Heads she wins, tails you lose.

Share price still 30% off issue price but she gets $659,043 plus GST performance fee for 'outstanding performance' in the last financial year!

I hold no BRM shares, and am not an apologist for Fisher Funds, but comparing BRM with MFG is to me meaningless, where is the similarity in what they are doing?

The fees charged may be high but it's the return that counts is it not?

Comparing with AFI and ARG, both respected ASX managers with rather lower fees I suspect, and companies I would prefer to invest with,
    looking at share prices alone, leaving aside the NTA, which might be better to compare
    AFI has risen by 3.11% and ARG by 3.68%, BRM has decreased by 6.76% since 1 April 2013

During this period the NZ/Aust crossrate has risen from 0.8040 to 0.8803, about 10% - add 10% to -6.76
    and you get a return of 3.24%, it appears to me that the return of BRM has been affected by the currency change, and their
    investment return has been very similar to AFI and ARG.

Holding and very happy with my 10.17% gross yield..thanks Carmel and the team.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Guru

They must be a good buy. They are buying them themselves!
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Ha...yes buying them at less than NAV ....then if they sell the equivalent value of some of the holdings on market in in OZ at market price..they have an automatic ongoing profit margin of the difference. I'm not sure my somewhat feeble brain understands the whole picture but I'm along for the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    They must be a good buy. They are buying them themselves!
    Last edited by BIRMANBOY; 31-07-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Acronym accident
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Pay you your capital back and it's a yield?

Now I know why they say one is born everyday!