sharetrader
Page 40 of 106 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    IMO

People are o bsessed re the $1 issue way back. Im only int in now for me..Timimg is everything who knows if I'm right or wrong but I'm happy @61c for my first shoal.Who knows when i sell again I'm hoping to get good income andc make abit on these/p for reasons I've already expressed with the caveat are the mkts going to correct big time soon. Gensis looks more defensive plus a big div I've applied for heaps. Had laser on eye today so not sorry re grammar.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 02-04-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRiggs View Post
    I was at the BRM shareholder meeting a couple of years ago. At the time, BRM was around 62-63c.
    During the QA session, a shareholder expressed concern about how low the share price was compared to the $1 IPO and asked when we're getting back to $1.
    Frank Jaspers response was something along the lines of...
    "If you include dividends over the years, then we are breakeven at $1 thereabouts".

So that's Fisher Fund's justification. Include dividends into the return and everything is sweet!
    Not just include them in the calcs .....but assume they are reinvested as well

So you are even more one-eyed than usual JT? I'll increase the font size so you can see it better...everybody else reverse the procedure please. You're right JT...some people seem to have made the naïve assumption that BRM SP should have gone up from issue price......because well...you know...that's what shares are supposed to do right??? C'mon, we all have purchased shares that have gone down below what we paid for them. The list of such evil doers is long and at some points even the best of companies or shares have plumbed the nether regions. Why should BRM be any different? Buy it at the right time after some study and tracking its performance and you increase your chances of it being a winner for you. Timing is everything...trouble is no-one can time these things to perfection. Simply put those who buy at the right time are happy and those that don't whinge. Everybody colours things by their own experience. Reality is that very few investors are interested or GAF about how someone else views things. We read but do not comprehend. JT You have a lot of people joining you today who think as you do. Looks good to me too. To all those living in the past you have a choice....if you are still holding (yeh right) you could choose to lower your average cost by buying more at a lower price or move on to a more productive use of your time. May the force be with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    People are o bsessed re the $1 issue way back. Im only int in now for me..Timimg is everything who knows if I'm right or wrong but I'm happy @61c for my first shoal.Who knows when i sell again I'm hoping to get good income andc make abit on these/p for reasons I've already expressed with the caveat are the mkts going to correct big time soon. Gensis looks more defensive plus a big div I've applied for heaps. Had laser on eye today so not sorry re grammar.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Don't have BRM, but I did buy into MLN about 18 months ago, and it's working out really well so far. One thing that Snapiti has not mentioned was the food at the AGM. Of all the meetings I have attended, this was the best feed by far. In fact it was so good, I may take a doggy bag next year. I'm assuming that BRM shareholders got the same treatment. Like they say, the quickest way to an investors heart….??? Well probably through his wallet, but good food works for me.

IMO

Hey zigzag take balance along ' s/he will be your doggy bag and bubble guzzler and who knows his/her dreams may come true; Carmel may stick her tongue in his/her ear(worst nightmare more prob)

IMO

HeeHEe i like that BB. Best wishes with the painterly wife and your allergy I'm convinced another masterpiece will be forthcoming . Gazooks should be in the lounge, drinks on me and a yard glass for guess who.

See what I mean...they read but they do not comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Hey Birmanboy,

Sure it's not a growth stock and as such the shareprice hasn't gone up. Fair enough.

But 11% accumulated return over 7 years and paying dividends from capital, that's TERRIBLE!

Numerically, how can you justify purchasing this?

Cheers,

NBT
    www.dividendyield.co.nz

Look at Post #370 that may help you understand how different people look at the same thing in different ways.
    All you have said is that timing is everything. Sure.

I'm asking you to justify nunerically why you believe the timing is right for BRM now, or basically any other time other than a Snapitis entry point which was very well timed. At this stage any other entry point looks like a disaster.

In the interests of learning for all us younger players, do you care to post something of substance to support your view like Winner and Balance have kindly done? Because at this stage it's looking like a terrible investment. Prove me wrong!

Cheers,

NBT
    www.dividendyield.co.nz

LOL you're giving up?? After 10 minutes? It takes me longer than that to put my socks on.....However I appreciate your suggestion and I will certainly give it the consideration it deserves. PS ..luck has very little /next to nothing to do with long term investing so hope your research/learning continues the way you want it to.
    OK. I give up. Fill your boots. But I'd suggest looking a little deeper into this one.

Good luck,

NBT
    www.dividendyield.co.nz

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    ...... I will certainly give it the consideration it deserves...... ...... hope your research/learning continues the way you want it to.......
    Thanks BB. It's going ok. I'm enjoying it and doing well. Cheers.

Here's some factual things I think are worth considering.

BRM started paying a regular dividend in Sep 2009 (http://www.barramundi.co.nz/barramundi-performance/)

The NAV of BRM has gone from approx 85c in Sept 2009 to 71c in Feb 2014, as per the NAV History link on that same page. A decrease of 14c.

During that period they have paid approx 30c in dividends (same initial link).

So 30c dividends minus 14c in capital value loss leaves a 16c overall gain for the period (of approx 4.5 years).

16c / 4.5 years = 3.5c effective return P.A. per share.

So if you had purchased the shares at this time (2009), the historical price was around 75c.

3.5c / 75c = 4.7% return.

Hardly spectacular IMHO. I have no doubt you could do better yourself BB!

Taking the situation a few years back to the initial price of $1 only makes it worse as you add many more years but only one extra 2c dividend payout.

As you say, timing is everything. Snapiti has done very well getting in at 37c. He is one of few though (well done Snapiti).

I'm happy to be proven wrong - given this very average historical performance and no obvious change on the horizon, sticking to facts not opinion, what makes you say this is a buy right now?

Cheers,

NBT

PS I appreciated you've previously said that 62c is below the average price and therefore it's cheap. Winners post earlier showed it is trading at its usual discount to NAV and therefore it's technically not cheap, it's exactly the effective price it always is on average (relative to current NAV).
    Last edited by nextbigthing; 02-04-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added PS