sharetrader
Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

I must be too young to understand what Scuttlebutt is.

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by skinny

I decided against investing in this one for the simple reason that the investment approach relies heavily good old fashioned scuttlebutt - something that will be difficult to do (or at least relatively expensive) for Carmel and her team being based in Auckland.
    Don't overlook the fact that Carmel is already there, with her Australian Growth Fund - which hasn't exactly been a failure!

Fisher suggests the "scuttlebutt" method. This involves talking to suppliers, customers, company employees, and people knowledgeable in the industry, and, eventually, company management. From this information, an investor can get a good feel for the quality of the company as a growth investment. Fisher teaches us how to learn to ask the correct, company-specific questions.

Fisher acknowledges the "scuttlebutt" method is a lot of work. But, he asks, should it be easy to find such great companies, when finding only a few can easily lay the foundation for building huge future wealth?

I tend to think the average individual investor will not use the "scuttlebutt" method. And, for most investors and most companies, even if the investor had the desire to use this method, it would not be practical.

Yet, for investors seeking to make investments in smaller, local companies, the "scuttlebutt" method might be of value. For angel investors or mini-venture capitalists, reading "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits" is probably also worthwhile.

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Stocks-.../dp/0471445509
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

rmb: I think you mean "she"

[8)]
    Romer

quote:Originally posted by Romer

rmb: I think you mean "she"
    [8)]
    Philip Fisher sounds like a "he" to the hog.
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

quote:Originally posted by COLIN

quote:Originally posted by Bling_Bling

Why dont you just buy the aussie stocks yourself? Dont need a fund to buy on your behalf and charge you fees.
    Bling, I've attempted to follow such a strategy with KFL/ Fisher Funds, to a limited extent, but the problem is that by the time you learn what coy they have added, the price has already escalated (being small-cap stocks), and vice versa when they dump shares. I don't see them signalling in advance what their particular target coys are going to be.
    Carmel gets relatively large chunks of the Cullen Fund to invest in NZ small-caps, which can push the price around. I wonder whether she will get an allocation for Aust too.
    I dont mean you have to follow what Fisher Fund buys and sells. Just do your own homework and get good research from reputable investment houses. I collect all the data myself and put them together and make my own decisions.
    This stock shines so bright that it \"Bling Blings\"

Oh. I thought we were talking about Carmel. [8)]
    Romer

Remember that Fisher Funds puts alot of weight on the ability of the management of the companies they buy into, not dissimiliar to Warren Buffets style of investing.

They were again fund manager of the year & have shown over & over they get it right more often than others, for this reason alone i believe they would do better than most DIY stock pickers over time.

Anyway. More to the point now. When does it list and what's the code?
    [8)]
    Romer

http://www.barramundi.co.nz/barramundi-prospectus.pdf

Accordingly to the prospectus the shares are allotted on 25th Oct & lists on the NZX on 26th Oct being this thursday.

May be delayed til early November due to the over subscription & possible scale backs etc

Would guess the ticker code would be BAR?