sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend

Default Are things going to get Sticky for Listed Commercial Property outfits ?

If this is what Oyster are doing - then what about listed Outfits ?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...NGT4JI4C4KF2M/

$1b+ Oyster Group fund suspends investor withdrawals, selling properties

Sorry folks the good old Herald dont want you reading the rest unless there's a coin in the slot

And following this more Bad news for Commercial Operators with Depreciation getting the knife from Govt
    on the horrizon. Interesting that the Taxman was very critical of this Govt move too.
    Last edited by nztx; 19-03-2024 at 06:59 PM.

Dear nztx...This scenario is so predictable...As Warren said..."Its only when the tide goes out do you discover ......"
    Again....risk and reward.
    KISS.

Off course Im perfect.
    Last edited by troyvdh; 19-03-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    Dear nztx...This scenario is so predictable...As Warren said..."Its only when the tide goes out do you discover ......"
    Again....risk and reward.
    KISS.

Off course Im perfect.

And still waiting on the sideline .. or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post

Sorry folks the good old Herald dont want you reading the rest unless there's a coin in the slot

And following this more Bad news for Commercial Operators with Depreciation getting the knife from Govt
    on the horrizon. Interesting that the Taxman was very critical of this Govt move too.
    These things happened in the past as well. They have become new normal. I can still remember how customers tried to withdraw money at once from banks and finance companies.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post

Listed property trusts are doing the same thing, selling properties, to try and simmer down those interest rate bills. I have spent the last year having a close look at the 'big eight' NZX listed property trusts. I was seduced to look by the capped 28% maximum tax rate, the safety and security of property blah blah blah.....I whittled my choice down to two: Property for Industry with a very strong management record in industrial sites (a favoured property sub category), and Investore also 'big box' but made attractive because it looked dirt cheap relative to the other options.

Try as a I might, I just could not make the case for Investing in 'Property for Industry' stand up. I even looked through the current high interest rates, thinking what would happen when interest rates started to fall and I still couldn't get the yield to work for me. It wasn't a bad deal. But it takes something 'better than average' to get my investment juices excited.

The yield at Investore did stack up. But then I figured out they were selling two higher yielding supermarkets (which are not sold after being on the market for more than 18 months) to finance a brand new supermarket development at Kaiapoi. A development which they had arranged to rent out on a long term contract at a loss. Total idiocy. No wonder the IPL shares are so heavily discounted on the market.

As a result and as a self declared 'late starter' in property investment, I have decided to have no listed property investments in my portfolio. So this late starter will become an 'even later starter' should I ever decide to invest in listed property in the future. I can hear Sailor Rob on the sidelines now, saying "I told you so."

Completely outside of property, I had been on the investment sidelines looking for opportunities for a year, and suddenly three turn up within a week. It reminds me of the story of the fella at the bus stop, waiting waiting. Then suddenly three buses turn up at once. Anyway I am currently 'investment happy' and will continue to leave the listed property investment game to others.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 20-03-2024 at 07:34 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Listed outfits offer transparent liquidity via the NZX and risk is spread over a large number of properties, often diverse by sector and location.

But capital gain is muted; they tend, in my view, to overtrade; and are also subject to cyclical pressures but provided they are well managed have less, if any, need to divest when conditions are adverse.

Nevertheless the loss of deductibility for building depreciation will hurt. Very poor policy initiated by the Labour Government and difficult to adjust due to current economic concerns.

There are no withdrawals from listed property trusts of course. As I understand it listed property trusts were introduced in response to an earlier run on funds that allowed withdrawals. You sell a listed property trust for what you can get, if you want, or need to.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldson View Post
    Listed outfits offer transparent liquidity via the NZX and risk is spread over a large number of properties, often diverse by sector and location.

But capital gain is muted; they tend, in my view, to overtrade; and are also subject to cyclical pressures but provided they are well managed have less, if any, need to divest when conditions are adverse.

Nevertheless the loss of deductibility for building depreciation will hurt. Very poor policy initiated by the Labour Government and difficult to adjust due to current economic concerns.
    Didn’t the National Govt remove commercial building depreciation in 2010? Labour brought it back in 2020. Both of them campaigned last election on removing it. Even the previous 2% allowance # was low compared to international comparisons.

Anyway it is yet another factor making investing in NZ business less appealing. May as well just add to over-investing in existing residential property. Then we will wonder why we are falling further behind Australian living standards.

# I think Oz has a tax allowance of 2.5% pa depreciation and maybe 4.0% in some cases.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 20-03-2024 at 11:11 AM.

Legend

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...FQN34J7D44CBQ/

Oyster fund $19.4m profit turns to $22.5m loss, Pastoral House payments stopped

So all it took to trigger this was Property Revaluations - all Unrealised suddenly turning negative - likely funneled through as part of Profit ?

Have to take care traversing delicate Oyster Shells it seems
    Last edited by nztx; 20-03-2024 at 02:11 PM.

Guru

I have just listened to a podcast from Aust, the exact same thing is happening there with over 2,000 companies going to the wall in the lucky country, this is not restricted to N Z and all for the same reasons, high house hold fixed costs, power, food gas, power and very high interest rates.

This is not a govt issue as the same is happening over there but on a larger scale, we are in for 2-3 years of tough times imho.

The economy is like a piece of string, you can pull it in the direction that you want it to go but you cannot push it there.