sharetrader
Page 58 of 126 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Ah well, just look at the numbers in the table above - they include the dividend.

I remember as well various times where AIR was well out of their forecasts .. and made quite ridiculous investment decisions. Actually - the only reason AIR is still around is that the taxpayer is typically paying for their mistakes.

In SKL's favour: they do have a board which trusts in the company they run AND they put their money where their mouth is. As well - they clearly lost over time less planes than AIR , no reason to be smug about a less accurate forecast ... but sure, lets keep this wee race running - and hey, I don't say that the tables might not turn at some stage, but by than I am likely to have sold out of SKL;

What utter rubbish. The Government effectively bought an airline that was about to collapse and have financially done very well out of it. So where is the taxpayer paying for their mistakes. And what is wrong with Air's board? No better or worse than SKL's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    What utter rubbish. The Government effectively bought an airline that was about to collapse and have financially done very well out of it. So where is the taxpayer paying for their mistakes. And what is wrong with Air's board? No better or worse than SKL's.
    Exactly,and Air has returned over 3 times more back to the Govt than it cost them to bail it out to date.

Oh dear ... why don't you just enjoy your holding instead of rubbishing fellow posters ?

AIR would not have got the money from the banks - wouldn't they? This means this was a high risk investment which well could have been lost.
    Yes, great it worked out for the taxpayer in this case, but this does not change the fact that they would be dead in the water if the tax payer would not have put their money forward.

... And what is wrong with Air's board? No better or worse than SKL's.
    You tell me. The difference I highlighted is that the SKL directors have a lot of skin in the game and are accumulating. I didn't mention the AIR board, but AIR management is selling as soon as they can ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

BT. I wasn't rubbishing "fellow posters", I was saying what was written was rubbish.

And my SKL holding is larger than my AIR holding.
    Last edited by 777; 26-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Investor

HY results out tomorrow...dipped in my toes on this few days back. Anticipating good result and also commentary from new chairwoman....

percy

And the struggle continues.
    No surprises there.!!

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    No surprises there.!!
    Couldn't agree more. In my opinion this is a very average company with very average prospects.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Share price sill 20% higher than a year ago

That's good

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Share price sill 20% higher than a year ago

That's good
    With ostensibly no growth that suggests either this company is 20% overpriced or the market as a whole is Probably just that Overseas fund manager building up their stake and doing everything they can to extricate funds from the "Trump Zone". I think the free business lesson here for the day from the information release is the reminder if we needed it that the currency is really hurting exporters.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-02-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Default What struggle am I missing.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    No surprises there.!!
    Todays 1H report was slightly down on revenue and profits but full year for cast is unchanged.
    The company has made very steady profits of around $20mil for the last 6 years, this was through a difficult time were their manufacturing plant in Chch was effected by the earthquake. SKL has recently rebuild there manufacturing plant this is now running to expectation.
    All this would have taken a lot of management time.
    Chair Liz Coutts said Skellerup’s results and financial position represented a solid performance and robust position and noted the Board and management are focussed on earnings growth.

Any reason why we should doubt Liz Coutts.

Remember SKL has paid about 8% gross dividend the last few years.
    Last edited by forest; 16-02-2017 at 10:52 AM.