sharetrader
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TLS - Telstra

Telstra making a spreadsheet available - but disappointingly its had the formulas removed which makes it pretty useless really.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/about-us/investors/pdf-e/1H18-Results-Supporting-Material.xlsx

Advanced Member

Was tempted with the 11c div so put an order in to buy 11,000 this morning and moved the order up 1c every 3 minutes from 3.72c to 3.75c and left it there for 5 or 10 minutes. No sellers, no liquidity, nothing going on, so quickly cancelled order and jumped back over to SKC for a 3.85 buy order. Wow 3 pages over 12 years on here. I don't expect a reply to this posting until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Was tempted with the 11c div so put an order in to buy 11,000 this morning and moved the order up 1c every 3 minutes from 3.72c to 3.75c and left it there for 5 or 10 minutes. No sellers, no liquidity, nothing going on, so quickly cancelled order and jumped back over to SKC for a 3.85 buy order. Wow 3 pages over 12 years on here. I don't expect a reply to this posting until next year.
    TLS has proven to be a yield trap... SKC is the way to go IMO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    TLS has proven to be a yield trap... SKC is the way to go IMO
    Yep, got skunked collecting the last divvy, bought in before they announced they were giving their future divvies a serious haircut, no imputation credits to boot.PS-I prefer SPK still by a long shot.PPS-SKC is a no touch share for me.

Hmm - just trying to drastically increase the posting frequency on this thread .

For some reason is TLS still in my spreadsheet (used to hold a handful of shares more than a decade a go) - and just having a cursory review of its credentials.

TA: A consistent and unbroken downtrend worthwhile using as school book example. Non existent growth (well, but some negative growth on the EPS CAGR ); revenue flat lining.

On the other hand - PE starts to look semi-attractive - it dropped (thanks to a dropping SP) below 10.

Obviously - never buy into a downtrend, but I am wondering whether this dog with fleas might be at some stage a candidate for the "dogs of the ASX" - portfolio?

Anybody knows whether they are just hoping for a pleasant and unspectacular exitus ... or is there still some life left in this dog? I guess they are in a really exciting industry (telecommunications), but it feels nobody told their management ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Hmm - just trying to drastically increase the posting frequency on this thread .

For some reason is TLS still in my spreadsheet (used to hold a handful of shares more than a decade a go) - and just having a cursory review of its credentials.

TA: A consistent and unbroken downtrend worthwhile using as school book example. Non existent growth (well, but some negative growth on the EPS CAGR ); revenue flat lining.

On the other hand - PE starts to look semi-attractive - it dropped (thanks to a dropping SP) below 10.

Obviously - never buy into a downtrend, but I am wondering whether this dog with fleas might be at some stage a candidate for the "dogs of the ASX" - portfolio?

Anybody knows whether they are just hoping for a pleasant and unspectacular exitus ... or is there still some life left in this dog? I guess they are in a really exciting industry (telecommunications), but it feels nobody told their management ...
    They are a big lumbering oaf of a company that can't react fast enough to consumers needs and have had trouble fending competition off the massive piece of pie they have... favouring of investments now might make a difference.

TLS had a net margin of 9.83% / Revenue of 873k and 93k NPAT per employee
    SPK had a net margin of 11.57% / Revenue of 657k and 76k NPAT per employee

It seems NZ is the better place to be a Telco, only reason to buy TLS is for that dividend really and it only just beats out Sparks.
    Last edited by hardt; 13-06-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    They are a big lumbering oaf of a company that can't react fast enough to consumers needs and have had trouble fending competition off the massive piece of pie they have... favouring of investments now might make a difference.

TLS had a net margin of 9.83% / Revenue of 873k and 93k NPAT per employee
    SPK had a net margin of 11.57% / Revenue of 657k and 76k NPAT per employee

It seems NZ is the better place to be a Telco, only reason to buy TLS is for that dividend really and it only just beats out Sparks.
    Could be a reasonable buy under $3 although the divvies are not imputed for us kiwis, I see it as better value currently than SPK which looks overvalued at its current SP. I reckon the stock is worth a punt for upside potential.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Could be a reasonable buy under $3 although the divvies are not imputed for us kiwis, I see it as better value currently than SPK which looks overvalued at its current SP. I reckon the stock is worth a punt for upside potential.
    For what its worth its on the Motley Fools recommendation list since April. Don't hold....but that dividend is sure appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    For what its worth its on the Motley Fools recommendation list since April. Don't hold....but that dividend is sure appealing.
    I guess as long as the current SP trend prevails - it can only get better (the dividend yield, this is ...) ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Any pros or cons of buying TLS on the NZX vs ASX?